General discussion

BSOD w/minidump report

Greetings,

I am having BSODs with what seems to be increasing frequency. The BSODs are not software specific and occur idle, in Word, and using Internet Explorer. They started on 1/17/2010 and continue to this day. I have used several programs scanning for malware/viruses and everything is good there. I am running an HP desktop w/32-bit Vista. I have included one of the latest BSOD minidump reports for reviewing in hopes it will help pinpoint a problem. I see "memory corruption" in it and ran memtest and it passed with 0 errors and also performed a memory stress test which was successful as well. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

Microsoft

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BSOD w/minidump report
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BSOD w/minidump report
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
after going through a very looong...

post; it occurs to me that the source of your troubles lies in the memory, as it is stated throughout the debugging as 'Memory Corruption'.

You state that you have run a memory stress test, but do not state which one, here is a link for memtest86+ which will definitely show where your memory is corrupted.
http://memtest86.en.softonic.com/

- Collapse -
memtest

Sorry for long post, wanted to get all the info I had out there.

Yes, I used memtest86+ and it found 0 errors. I used the Hardware Diagnostics Tool in Windows Vista for the stress test.

- Collapse -
corrupted memory

Sorry, but it doesn't really take a tech wizard to see that your memory is at fault; all reports show that there is corrupted memory in the system, therefore resulting in BSOD.

- Collapse -
mr tech wizard

Why then does my memory pass ever test I have put it through? I am perplexed by this and my your snideness as well.

- Collapse -
Sorry

didn't mean to come across as being 'snide'.

You should heed the advice of Mr. Proffit though, and contact both the supplier of your computer AND Microsoft and get the rest of your SERVER programs sorted out.
This could be the point of your troubles as well...having at least 1 incomplete program installed on your system.

- Collapse -
Windows Server 2008

You paid dearly for that OS. Now talk to the machine's maker and Microsoft about getting your money's worth.

I'd comment about the failure but look at what you posted. It's incomplete but when I saw Windows Server 2008 I thought what a lucky person you were to have paid so much for that system.
Bob

- Collapse -
information

What additional information would you like? I have about 30 BSOD Minidumps since 1/17/10 that I could provide. Would a system restore to factory settings be worth a shot? I guess that if things still are haywire it would pretty much cingle out the memory, right? I just can't beleive that the memory passed the memtest86+ and a stress test if it is faulty. Is that possible?

Thank you!

- Collapse -
None needed.

Windows Server 2008 is a many thousand buck investment on Server Grade machines. You should be hammering the supplier of the machine to get your SERVER up and stable.
Bob

- Collapse -
There is one small thing.

I see AVAST in that log. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41382.0 noted this and they issued some fix/patch.

Avast must have cost quite the pile of cash for WINDOWS SERVER 2008. I see it's 399 US DOLLARS so here's my advice. FOLLOW THE MONEY. Get the folk you paid for all this to support you.
Bob

- Collapse -
Another small thing.

I see Mcshield.exe in that dump. That's McAfee, not Avast. While aswFsBlk.SYS is from Avast. Could it be these programs don't like each other running?

Kees

- Collapse -
McAfee v. Avast

Yes I think that should be explored. I started investigating the antivirus issue last night and will continue again after returning home. I uninstalled Avast and will be uninstalling McAfee this evening. I will then reinstall Avast and see what happens and report back.

- Collapse -
Good call.

If there is a lesson here it's not to put more than one antivirus on such a machine.

I'd still want to hear what all those folk/companies have to tell you have spending a few thousand in Server 2008, and those many hundred buck antivirus packages.

You are out a lot of money here.
Bob

CNET Forums