Computer Help forum

General discussion

BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B message, virus killing me...

Soooo, i was trying to stream some always sunny in philly when my avg alarms start sounding "VIRUS ALERT!!! ABORT CONNECTION!" I clicked abort connection, everything seemed good, i kept watching my show. When the show ended the screen started getting whacked out, ie windows ghosting n stuff. so i rebooted. When windows began to load however, i was greeted with a blue screen of death with the message of STOP: 0x0000007B .... well, im 100% its a virus but i cant get into windows xp normally, in safe mode, nor just plain old command prompt. I keep getting the BSOD with every option!HOWEVER, i do have win 7 installed on a partion on the same drive, and it still works (i was using XP while watching the show). The problem is i cant see my win xp c drive when i start the win 7 partition, soooo i cant figure out any way to scan that section of the drive. I know this problem can be solved wihout repartioning, some1 please tell me how i can scan my drive for this damn virus! Sad Thanks

-Hendrik

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B message, virus killing me...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B message, virus killing me...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are a number of possible causes ...

In reply to: BSOD STOP: 0x0000007B message, virus killing me...

for the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and it is usually either a driver or the HAL (or other file corruption).

First things to try are:
# Startup with Last Known Good Configuration to undo related registry and driver changes.
# Use System Restore to undo recent changes.

If unable to boot to any of the boot options you can still perform system restore from the recovery console by following the instructions at this link -
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&action=read&click=open&article=1150238652

While in the Recovery Console you can also run the command CHKDSK /R as corruption of the boot volume is one of the causes of the stop error.

Here is a handy link with several other steps you might take to cure your problem --
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000007b.htm

Collapse -
still no go :(

In reply to: There are a number of possible causes ...

Thanks for the reply, guess no1 else is interested in helping. So I got to the point of being able to get into safe mode but my windows 7 partition doesnt show up anymore now and i get a new BSOD message.

STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xBAD13348, 0xBAD13044)

Everything the Microsoft knowledge base says to do doesnt fix anything!!! Ive tried multiple system restore points which appear to take me back to that time, only cuz i can still view in safe mode, but the same BSOD still shows up. I didnt add or remove any hardware. Drivers all seem to be ok (no visible errors in device manager). This all started because of some damn virus! I have scanned my drive and removed the one virus it found, but still no luck with getting rid of the blue screen. Any thoughts or more helpful links? I tried the scond link, doing system restore through win xp restore cmd line, but it didnt fix the problem.

Collapse -
Try this.

In reply to: still no go :(

To test if it's hardware we have a test at the shop. We'll slip in a blank drive and restore the OS from maker's restore DVD to that. And let them test it.

What many don't want to admit is that repairing windows after a virus or such is never a sure thing. If someone ignores virus warnings and plows ahead a fresh install may be the only fix.
Bob

Collapse -
something to try.

In reply to: still no go :(

If you can get into safemode, then do so, but with network. go to www.malwarebytes.org and download there software and run it ( be sure to update it). In some cases, if you have a second computer, you may need to use a flash drive, and load it to that and then the computer in question. hopefully this won't be necessary. coastie

Collapse -
sigh

In reply to: something to try.

thanks for the replies, sadly i have made no progress though Sad I have tried malwarebytes, already had it on my pc, it found something and got rid of it but didnt solve my problem. Avast isnt picking up any more viruses and everywhere i have turned has resulted in not much in results

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

that is the info that got me to safe mode but the last couple steps dont work out for me. when i try to restore using system rsstore, it doesnt solve my problem. It looks like I might have to wipe my drive and do a clean install, which is probabbly for the best because it was filled with alot of crap but ugggghhhh finding my driver disks is going to be a major pain >:O not to mention reinstalling software and finding usernames and passwords that have long since been forgotten because they r saved thru their respective applications (chrome, internet explorer, steam, aim, etc).

is there a good backup app anyone suggests? Ive just been c/p various folders i think i need onto an external drive. Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!