Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

BSOD & Page fault in nonpaged area

by jselph / November 28, 2009 12:38 PM PST

I would appreciate any ideas on the following:
The system was originally HP Pavillion A1230n with XP Media Center edition. MOBO died a couple of months ago so replaced with ASUS M3N78-VM and 2Gb memory. System has been running great since repair until last week. Began to show signs of IE7 search engine hijack, but all scans show negative (Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Avira, etc. Google Chrome worked okay, so problem was specific to IE. Tried to get to Safe Mode to run scans and got BSOD. System would boot "normally", but BSOD with page fault error whenever I tried to boot to Safe Mode. Replaced memory with same results. System now BSOD's on all attempted startups. Have tried last known good, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, and normal, all with same BSOD results.
Ran Spinrite against drive with negative findings. Created new XP install on another drive and system boots fine. Cloned original boot drive to new 500Gb drive using Clonezilla and get same BSOD results with cloned drive as I did with original drive.
Tried repair install to original drive but system does not recognize new MOBO BIOS as the originator of the Restore disks (which it is not due to MOBO failure).
I have checked/replaced everything that I can think of that could cause this problem, and it seems to me that the problem is related to the image/configuration of the original boot drive since it also manifests itself on the cloned version.
I know I can do a clean install, but I have a lot of programs there that I would rather "recover" than "reinstall".
TIA for any assistance and/or ideas.
John
BTW, the Stop code is:0X00000050 (0XC8EE0D9C,0X00000001,0X80537009,0X00000000)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD & Page fault in nonpaged area
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD & Page fault in nonpaged area
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did You Try Repairing
by tobeach / November 28, 2009 2:48 PM PST

original system using any of the "repair tools" included w/ SAS program?
In SAS, click "preferences">tools tab. Includes fix for safe mode, task mgr., ISP , desktop & many more. Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
Won't boot and BSOD
by jselph / November 29, 2009 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Did You Try Repairing

Didn't try any of the SAS tools (really didn't realize they existed) but the problem is that I can't get the drive to boot in any mode. I've just begun trying to install an XP upgrade to the cloned disk, from a PRO disk that I have and it may just work to get me back up. Once I get the drive to boot, then I can do a proper backup and decide if I want to stay with XP or move to Windows 7.
Thanks for the tips and I'll keep the forum informed as to the outcome.
John

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back!
by tobeach / November 29, 2009 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: Won't boot and BSOD
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.