General discussion

BSOD oxooooo8e

OK, I hate having to ask this. I usually can find what I need on searches but this one doesn't show up and I have logged way too many hours trying to find it.
Here's the info.

Daily BSODs. (Mostly while online, BUT not always)

0x000000008e (ox00000005, 0x8058ED8C, 0xBA34F924, 0x0000000)

I have found a few hits about video cards, sound cards and overheating but dont know if I'm on the right track.

I run SpeedFan and It helps keep everything running on the cool side.
My prior CPU fan failed a while back and the chip got SUPER Hot quite a few times.

It has the OEM 2.66mhz chipset(have a brand new 3.06 to install, but don't want to drop it in until I resolve the current BSOD issue. Not sure if past overheating problems are still a current issue.

Here's the specs
HP 864n Media Center Edition
Running SP3
Windows Update is set on Auto.
1g memory
Nvidia Geforce 5600 AGP
Soundblaster Audigy(1)

If anyone can help or needs more info on the system, Post away. I'l be monitoring as much as I can.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: BSOD oxooooo8e
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BSOD oxooooo8e
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
1g memory

"1g memory
Nvidia Geforce 5600 AGP"

Right there you see this is an older machine. These are great things but how do you share that a CPU overheat can damage that chip? And how would you get the owner to accept that maybe this machine's time has come? While we can try a new chip a great shop would draw the line at 5 year parts and change out what is older than that.

And that's the problem. How to work with older gear without blowing a budget.
Bob

- Collapse -
Old but good

I've kept this system working pretty good over the years. It has as many bells and whistles as newer ones and usually never lets me down. I'm a self employed painter and with the economy the way it is, keeping this one ticking is my only option. I'm not a gamer, I don't overclock, but I do run a lot of music editing stuff on this machine and it is GREAT for that.
Just need a little help tweaking it thats all.

- Collapse -
Let's look at a shop.

They regularly return older machines as the repairs exceed replacements. Here you have a possible heat damaged CPU yet you didn't change that. The machine is failing yet you want help tweaking it.

To me that means you want it fixed without changing or spending the money.

If so, try the usual. Wipe the drive and start over. If it fails then we know it's the hardware.
Bob

- Collapse -
BSOD Specefics

Yeah, thats what I figuired I should be doing first. I just thought someone might have specefic knowledge of my 0x000000 error codes before I re-chipped and wiped everything. I know sometimes you guys have a five minute solution thats beats the heck out of a 10 hour system rebuild. The big thing I don't want is to waste all that time just to find I still get the same ECs.
Thanks

- Collapse -
10 HOURS? That's a clue.

I just restored a PC with the recovery media and it was up in just 45 minutes. What are those other 9 hours for?

And at the shop I have a secret weapon. Ready? A blank hard drive. We pull the owner's drive, slide in the blank and do a fast recovery to that blank drive. If the machine is still BSOD'ing we know it's some hardware issue.

Bob

- Collapse -
Hard Drive to fix 0x8058ED8C

Evidently my mind is slipping. It never occurred to me to try making a recovery hard drive. Jeez. (I actually forgot I had a cloned drive already sitting inside the darn computer, from a couple years ago.)
Getting old stinks, but it sure beats the alternative.

But, just for being so darn helpful Bob, and not at all condescending, I thought I'd pass along what I found out from another source whose objective was not a supercilious avoidence to mask the fact that you didn't have a clue what the problem might have been.

The problem was with a Nvidia driver. I simply downgraded the driver and havn't had the BSOD since.
Anyway, hope this helps anyone else that might run into a 0x8058ED8C error.

- Collapse -
I stopped short of calling out the old 5600 AGP card.

That old card is causing grief to some. At the shop we'll call it out and will want to replace it with anything from the last 5 years.

Sorry but I have to write that nothing in your post suggests that the video driver was changed from when it worked. That clue is missing and since you know when you changed that then you have details I can't see in this discussion.

Drivers don't go bad. And 0x8058ED8C does not mean "your video driver failed."
Bob

- Collapse -
Nvidia

The other tech metioned it was included in a Windows update (optional) I had forgot about running a bunch of optional updates a while back. Not sure why the problem amplified though. At first it was (or so I thought) just a fluke. Happened one time then not for many days, maybe even weeks. Then the problem progressively cycled to an almost daily event.
Things that make you go Hmmmmmm?
When I had the time, I would try and get some data as to why it was happening, but being short on time, I didn't have the follow-through needed to resolve it.
If anyone else needs the info, I can look it up. But, the advice to change out the video card is probably the best. I am on "The Green Button" site a lot too, and several members mention compatability issues with that one.
Hope this helps.

CNET Forums