Desktops forum

Question

BSOD ntoskrnl.exe 64-bit windows 7

by Dastardly79 / May 31, 2013 7:04 PM PDT

Hi, I have regular blue screens. The last 5 of 7 were ntoskrnl.exe drivers. found in BlueScreenView

Don't know what to do from here with these dumps?

Previously tried:
changing graphics card for a new one
had ram tested
reinstalled w7 64-bit
ran core temp with normal temps recorded throughout, (but I dont think it records temps at the precise moment of bsod)

Mainboard : MSI 870-G45 (MS-7599)
Chipset : AMD 770/870
Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 840 @ 3200 MHz
Physical Memory : 8192 MB (2 x 4096 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Hard Disk : HDS722516VLSA80 ATA Device (165GB)
Hard Disk : OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA Device (115GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S
Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8131 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Ace A-500BR power supply

Any help appreciated

Dumps attached

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9mlFIkm4S4wUEFJb0hGeGNMMFU/edit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD ntoskrnl.exe 64-bit windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD ntoskrnl.exe 64-bit windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: dumps
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 31, 2013 7:25 PM PDT

All that might be interesting from that dumps: the error code, like 0x000000A2 and such. If yiou can tell those, tht would be nice.

Is that nVidia 8600 the old card or the new one you replaced it with? And why did you think the video was the cause? Did those crashes happen only during games or some reason like that?

Kees

Collapse -
by Dastardly79 / June 1, 2013 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dumps

Hi there Kees, thanks for the prompt reply

I thought video was the cause, as at times the screen went all glitchy, + the problem arises ONLY when I play the Poker client pkr.com and run HoldemManager (postgres database manager) simultaneously or independently. I sent reports to them but they can't figure it out. Works fine web browsing etc.

So I swapped out the 8600 graphics card for a new GeForce GT630, but the problem remains. Its either BSOD or 'Poker app has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

As for the first part of your question "All that might be interesting from that dumps: the error code, like 0x000000A2 and such. If you can tell those, tht would be nice". - I'm not sure what you mean here, do you require more info? The attached dumps have the error codes listed do they not?

Thanks again.

Not really sure where to go from here. Where do I start with these codes/dumps?

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 6:13 AM PDT

I was implicitely inviting you to tell the error codes. That's easier for me than downloading files I'm not even sure I can read. Maybe somebody else is willing to do more for you than I do.

Kees

Collapse -
Codes
by Dastardly79 / June 1, 2013 6:53 AM PDT

Apologies if that came across wrong. I actually meant the dumps are just a link, no need to download. But in any case:

0x0000007f - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
0x0000000a - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x00000050 - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That 8600 is dieing here a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

There are folk that use dumps and such but you won't find me looking at them when you spot the usual failing card.

I rip the card out and try another. This is not to say that's it but given the clues it's my next move.

-> I can't see the PC so I can't see how clean it is. That is, we also see this with clogged heatsinks and old heat sink compound. If anything is over 2 years old we pull all the heatsinks (one at a time) to wipe off the old and apply new compound. I'm sure you know this drill.
Bob

Collapse -
reply to Bob
by Dastardly79 / June 1, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

Hey Bob!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I swapped out the 8600 graphics card for a new GeForce GT630, but the problem remains. Its either BSOD or 'Poker app has encountered a problem and needs to close'. (I'm a semi-pro Poker player)

I thought video was the cause, as at times the screen went all glitchy, + the problem arises ONLY when I play the Poker client pkr.com and run HoldemManager (postgres database manager) simultaneously or independently. I sent reports to them but they can't figure it out. Works fine web browsing etc.

So as you say, I ripped it out and tried another.

Heatsink - I never really though of cleaning them up. I ran core temp, but temps were normal throughout checking back through the logs. (having said that would core temp record a sudden spike?).

Don't know what to do for the best Bob. Just start replacing other parts and save all this hassle? If ram is fine, graphics card is new, what left just processor, power supply and motherboard?

I take it ntoskrnl.exe is a very generic term and could lead to any of those above components failing.

Collapse -
Good to read this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to Bob

OK, let's be sure the heat sink is clean and if it's been a few years since the compound was replaced, do that. I know it's hard on folk to look at the CPU and such temps and do the work but it's cheap and has paid off too many times.

-> But there is something else to try (as always) and that is to (google this) Disable Flash Hardware Acceleration. Just in case.

If we don't see any improvement then you remove any SSDD and try a normal HDD.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?