HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

BSOD, Now it won't boot, can't access BIOS Setup...URGENT

by saucee01 / February 23, 2008 1:27 PM PST

I think I might have been doing a couple too many things at once, because my computer got super slow, then I got the blue screen of death, I didn't see the errors though, and it restarted but didn't get past showing the CPU on the black screen with white writing, I can't enter BIOS setup or anything. Any ideas?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD, Now it won't boot, can't access BIOS Setup...URGENT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD, Now it won't boot, can't access BIOS Setup...URGENT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shouldn't try this first
by Dawg Monitor / February 23, 2008 1:58 PM PST

Usually, I have my data backed-up on a external HDD and everything, then I decided either:
A) Use the built in system recovery console, format and repair, then start restoring files.
B) Replace system recovery console with DVD recovery

If I didn't had my hard drive backed-up then I'll just extract the HDD, put it on another computer(By slave or by enclosure) then access any data there.

Wolf

Collapse -
That immediate re-boot is a good reason ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2008 4:20 AM PST

to change the Recovery Option to anything but Automatic Re-boot after you get up and running again.

When you attempt to boot I assume you see the blue screen for a brief second? If so locate your Pause/Break key on your keyboard. Now attempt to re-boot. As soon as you see the blue screen press the Pause/Break key. now you should be able to write down the message the screen shows and tell us what it says.

You also indicate that you can't get into BIOS Setup but don't mention if that is because you don't know how or if the oppoptunity to press a key or key combination doesn't present itself. If you told us a bit more such as make and model of the computer and whether that "black screen with white writing" might show no hard drive we could offer better suggestions.

Without the information we can really only suggest booting your installation CD and trying the Recovery Console (chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr) and if that fails a re-installation.

Collapse -
Vista Blue Screen and Cannot Access Boot Setup
by poluskinha / October 28, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

Hi, I'm Polyana.

I'm also getting a blue screen on my Windows Vista. I'm using a laptop Acer Aspire 7520G with Vista Home.

Today, I got the blue screen but I couldn't see what the message was because it was too fast. And then it restarted, but it hung up on the Acer boot screen. I tried turning it off and then on again, but it didn't work. It still hangs on the Acer screen. So I thought I could boot from my repair disk, only when I got to my Acer screen, clicked F2 for boot setup and ... NADA. It hangs there too. I can't get it to show me the boot setup screen.

Last time I was working, I had a VLC window open but nothing playing and Mozilla Firefox with a couple of tabs. There were no updates recently, even though I had the information window on new updates showing, and there were no new devices either. As for new software, I installed Pandion for work, last week or so.

Can you help me?

Thank you for reading.

Polyana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.