Computer Help forum

General discussion

BSOD issues with Verizon/HP Mini 311-1037 NR

by ECADROID / May 7, 2010 4:47 PM PDT

I've experienced BSODs with my Verizon/HP Mini 311-1037 NR windows 7 Home Premium netbook since the second day I got the ******. The BSOD error codes come once every three or so weeks. The machine itself was bogged down with tons of spam software and freeware unbeknownst at time of purchase. Software does not self-update and I the BSOD error codes usually involve USB drivers. I also cannot use bluetooth connect my Verizon Netbook and Verizon DROID phone. Troubleshooting points to a Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator driver - yet I'm unable to uninstall the driver because I do not have full administrative privilege - which is assigned to System, TrustedInstaller or some such generic group/user.

Additionally, I have had browser issues, with Mozilla preset to default to Quirks mode instead of web standardized HTML browsing.

Finally, there are folders deep within my system that are native to Windows Vista but not Windows 7 (Windows Mail, for example). These Vista folders appeared following my initial security updating of the book. I cannot delete them because I do not have the privileges to do so.

All of these issues seem to point to malware or spyware, from my research. Can anyone help?

PC: HP Pavilion Mini 311-1037NR

Here are the results of a system info report I generated yesterday through the Windows Management Console. Please - someone assist.

System Information report written at: 05/06/10 15:29:55
System Name: ECA-PC
[System Summary]

Can't Collect Information

[Hardware Resources]

[Conflicts/Sharing]

[DMA]

[Forced Hardware]

[IRQs]

[Memory]

[Components]

[Multimedia]

[Audio Codecs]

[CD-ROM]

[Sound Device]

[Display]

[Infrared]

[Input]

[Keyboard]

[Pointing Device]

[Modem]

[Network]

[Adapter]

[Protocol]

[WinSock]

[Ports]

[Serial]

[Parallel]

[Storage]

[Drives]

[Disks]

[SCSI]

[IDE]

[Printing]

[Problem Devices]

[USB]

[Software Environment]

[System Drivers]

[Environment Variables]

[Print Jobs]

[Network Connections]

[Running Tasks]

[Loaded Modules]

[Services]

[Program Groups]

[Startup Programs]

[OLE Registration]

[Windows Error Reporting]

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD issues with Verizon/HP Mini 311-1037 NR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD issues with Verizon/HP Mini 311-1037 NR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon/HP Mini 311-1037 NR
by Brechan / May 7, 2010 5:26 PM PDT

" I've experienced BSODs...since the second day I got the ****** "
This line tells me that you should send the unit back to the manufacturer ASAP and let them deal with the BSOD's (if it's still under warranty)

"...yet I'm unable to uninstall the driver because I do not have full administrative privilege - which is assigned to System, TrustedInstaller or some such generic group/user. "
One question comes to mind when I read this, are you the owner of the machine? If not this would explain why you can't access this information.

If you are the owner, then there are ways to overcome this (easily fixed) obstacle.

Collapse -
New install.
by crashnburn_2003 / May 8, 2010 1:35 AM PDT

This new, I would return it, or exchange it. Other than that, I would wipe it out and install the OS only without all the garbage. Of course this is easiest with a provided CD/DVD with the drivers that you will need. Hopefully it came with such a disk. Primarily though, I would raise heck with the seller until they made it right.

Collapse -
What an odd post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 1:37 AM PDT

Why all the extra line spaces? It detracts from your post so next time try better formatting. That is, would you like to see your emails like this?
Bob

Collapse -
BSOD
by ECADROID / May 8, 2010 4:45 AM PDT

I am the owner. Unfortunately I am fairly ignorant to systems settings and configuration.

How can I convince Verizon to take it back?

Collapse -
Tough issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: BSOD

What I'm seeing today is that service and support are no long included. We either sort it out or we take it back.

Is this worth fixing? Is it worth all that trouble? Only you can answer this.

-> About your post. There is little to work with here. Since it failed on just a few days, that's when you get back with it's supplier and keep calling it in.
Bob

Collapse -
How can I convince Verizon to take it back?
by Brechan / May 8, 2010 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: BSOD

Explain to Verizon exactly what has been(and continues) happening in regards to the BSOD's, then let them have at it for a while. There should be no reason why they wouldn't take it back (this way they can conduct their own tests).
It could be that some part of the code inside the O/S was missed when it was installed.

Collapse -
Re: Verizon/BSOD
by ECADROID / May 8, 2010 4:36 PM PDT

I appreciate everyone's opinions and I realize perhaps I'm not providing specific enough detail. I have tried on several occasions to return the machine, have been shuffled between HP and Verizon customer support and, of course, when I took it back to the original store from which it was purchased, it was not malfunctioning and I could not replicate the issue.

I suppose I should just take it in and leave it there - nothing ever seems to work like it should.

I took screen shots of the bluetooth and USB error windows, extensions and BSODs... but haven't a clue what any of it means.

Collapse -
post your screenshots here
by Brechan / May 8, 2010 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Verizon/BSOD

there are many experts on the forums, I'm sure one of us will be able to decipher the error messages and BSOD codes.

B.

Collapse -
Re: HP/Verizon Screen Shots
by ECADROID / May 8, 2010 6:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sadly my decoding
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 9:19 PM PDT

Is hampered by such a bad posting. It looks like someone didn't care and copy pasted without thinking about how it would be received.

Since it failed so quickly it is a warranty issue. And even then I would reload the OS per the supplier+maker's instructions. Nothing points to a quick fix.
Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like you may have a lemon.
by crashnburn_2003 / May 9, 2010 3:15 AM PDT

Don't take no for an answer. Go to the supplier, and when the salesperson says they can't do anything for you, ask for their supervisor. Keep asking for the next supervisor until you get to the owner of the company. Try not to get too frustrated at having to repeat your problem over and over to a new person. Calm persistence is key. From your photo's the only thing that stands out is the static ip, I think it should be dynamic. There isn't a shot of a BSOD, which would have an error code on it.

Good Luck,
PS Tell them you have a whole community behind you! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.