Laptops forum

General discussion

BSOD 7B stop message....how to fix?!

As in the title, im faced with a permanent 7B BSOD stop error message on my pavillion laptop. My current knowledge indicates that is a boot loader error, and as you may naturally expect, i am desperate to fix it!

I have tried using the advanced startup options to use the last configurations which worked and safe mode, but i get the same BSOD stop error.

I placed my hard disk in another laptop and it boots fine, i have even been able to log in and use it as normal. However, when i put a hard disk running a perfectly fine copy of windows xp home to my pavillion laptop, i get the same 7B stop error.

My pavillion refuses to boot from CDs as well.

It seems to me the problem isnt with my hard disk and the OS version on it, but with the remaining components on my laptop...but what could be the criminal?

Would anyone be able to shed some light on my problem? Of course, I will provide more details as requested.

Hoping for some speedy responses or suggestions.

Regards,

FSA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BSOD 7B stop message....how to fix?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BSOD 7B stop message....how to fix?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry. Since the CD doesn't boot that's what...

In reply to: BSOD 7B stop message....how to fix?!

Needs to be fixed first.

Usually I remove the drive and put in some USB housing to copy out the files the owner can't lose. Then we fix the CD drive either by replacing it or trying a lens cleaner.

Bob

Collapse -
more details

In reply to: Sorry. Since the CD doesn't boot that's what...

I was directed to this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us), but it leans towards receiving the BSOD error when the system disk is moved to another laptop...but that is not the case. The BSOD error occurs when the disk is in the troubled laptop, but works fine in the other laptop.

The other laptop was not the same make and model, but the disk booted and ran XP there. I have already run my windows xp cd on the other laptop and put on a new installation of XP onto the same partition on the disk, overwriting the previous installation. (It was the same CD and version I used previously).

I also ran chkdsk through command prompt and some errors were discovered and fixed, according to the prompt i received.

I will try using system restore now, with the disk in the other laptop.

How could an IDE controller problem or RAM issue arise? The troubled laptop was running fine...the last thing i recall doing was running some windows updates, i believe some of them may have been driver softwares as well as security patches.

I guess I will try to use another CD drive on the faulty laptop and see if boot from CD occurs.

The laptop in question ran AVG anti virus, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm for firewall and PeerGuardian to protect p2p access. Despite keeping everything up-to-date.

Collapse -
How?

In reply to: more details

Same reason the CDROM is not working. You can ask a similar question about my hallway light. It worked yesterday, but not today.

Rather than dissect how electronics fail, most will want to get it fixed. Unless you do want to know why such things fail?

Bob

Collapse -
on the subject of how

In reply to: How?

Without trying to sound cheeky, your hallway light could be the victim of a power surge, a damaged filament or even the target of an airborne football....likewise, i presumed whatever is wrong with my laptop could have an explanation, instead of plain randomness.

I put in a spare CD drive into the faulty laptop and attempted to boot from CD, but same thing happens: a flashing hash on the screen for a few seconds before the same BSOD. The CD drive does light up and the CD spins.

I have tried fitting new RAM to the faulty laptop, to no avail. The RAM which was in the faulty laptop, I tested in another laptop and that worked fine.

Anything else i could try?

Collapse -
Could the BIOS be set proper?

In reply to: on the subject of how

Or is the CD itself at fault. Try other bootable CDs since you could have some CD that just doesn't want to play with that drive. Hint: Duplicate the CD and try again.

Until the CD boots all bets are off on how to repair since Microsoft has all the repair procedures keyed to booting from CD.

Bob

Collapse -
been there, done that, havent got the t-shirt

In reply to: Could the BIOS be set proper?

Ive got two bootable CDs, both of which I tried with the same results.

Considering the hard disk has two partitions, i formatted the systems partition to put on a clean copy of xp while the disk was in the other laptop. Presumably that would rectify any corrupted boot sequences? But once I got the disk back into the faulty laptop, same old story again.

What can cause an inability to boot from CD? With your help, ive eliminated faulty cd drive and faulty cd. Is there anything else i can eliminate?

I have reset the BIOS to the factory defaults. This gets more and more perplexing with every step i take.

Collapse -
Full technical information:

In reply to: been there, done that, havent got the t-shirt

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7981528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Do the parameters help shed any light?

Collapse -
Still the same fix. Boot the CD.

In reply to: Full technical information:

Fix that and you'll be on your way. It's a new world where Microsoft pretty much has you booting CDs to do repairs.

Do you have a desktop with that laptop drive adapter so you can test the drives?

Bob

Collapse -
desktop matters

In reply to: Still the same fix. Boot the CD.

bob,

i do have a desktop, but no laptop drive adapters...perhaps i should invest in that. But i have tested both laptop cd drives in another laptop and they work perfectly there.

Would there be a way to perhaps connect my desktop cd drive to my laptop, perhaps via the parallel port and see if it can boot from that?

what if the problem lies in whatever enables the motherboard to communicate with the cd port in the laptop? drivers for that or a faulty connection? then surely no amount of swapping cd drives will get the laptop to boot from cds...

fsa

Collapse -
There's a test... With what you have.

In reply to: desktop matters

Now try that drive and CD in the other laptop. We don't want to do more than boot off the CD. If it does the outlook for the laptop is grim. It points to an error on the mainboard, cable to the CD drive etc.

Remember that I didn't set the method of loading the OS or its repair but at least we do have a test.

Here's the handy adapter I'm thinking about.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SLIM-CDR-ADA&cat=CBL

Bob

Collapse -
bear with me, its the early hours here...

In reply to: There's a test... With what you have.

if i may double check, you mean put the cd drive and bootable cd in the other laptop just to check if the cd drive can boot from the CDs? ive tried that...it does boot in the other laptop...

or do you suggest put the hard disk, cd drive and cd in the other laptop?

darn the grim reaper for coming at my laptop!

Collapse -
Hey that's even a better idea!

In reply to: bear with me, its the early hours here...

You might be able to repair the OS there and then put it in the other laptop.

Imagine someone trying to figure out how to fix that without 2 laptops?

Bob

Collapse -
the tale of two laptops

In reply to: BSOD 7B stop message....how to fix?!

It reminds me of an eccentric family friend who insists on purchasing two of every gadget...'in case one breaks down'!

Should I try to transfer any other hardware devices from the faulty laptop to the other laptop whilst trying to repair the OS?

Collapse -
btw

In reply to: the tale of two laptops

the BSOD adds i should 'check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer'.

If only it was as simple as that. Ive reformatted the system partition, so that should eliminate viruses. I havent installed a new hard drive or a hard drive controller, so why it is wailing about that is beyond me. The hard drive must be properly configured and terminated, otherwise it wouldnt work perfectly on the other laptop. Already tried chkdsk, will do again.

fsa

Collapse -
Model...

In reply to: btw

Might be a ZX/ZV 5K or Cpq R3K series? (Need to know).. Sounds way to familiar here guys.. Just a question before you narrow it down to a basic drive issue..(They have other problems that cause this BSOD).. Thats why the question..

Collapse -
I see this error a lot.....

From my experience, this error occurs when Windows (2k or XP) doesn't know how to handle the ide bus drivers. You say it works on another computer...so try this: install errant drive onto the other computer. Open up device manager, and expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers." Right click on each controller device OTHER than primary or secondary IDE channel...these should somehow reflect the chipset on the bad machine's motherboard (Intel, VIA, etc...). Update those drivers...but only to find the option that let's you (eventually) choose which drivers to install. Once there, install the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller." Do this for the others (but not the primary or secondary etc... ones). Once done, but the HD back onto the other laptop, and then do a repair installation of XP.

I know, your stupid CD drive doesn't work...so use a USB one. If that doesn't work...then dunno...either the laptop is so not worth repairing or you're not setting up the boot sequence correctly. It's really hard to say. Many laptops let you hit F10, F11, F12, F(whatever) to let you determine the first boot device.

So again...what could be the problem is the IDE bus drivers on the "bad" laptop are different than the those on the "functioning" laptop. How they got bad it's hard to say given what we're told, and I mostly suscribe to the hallight philosophy anyway. Replacing the incorrect ones with generic ones let's you get into windows, at which point you can either reload the motherboard drivers or do a repair installation of XP. I know...many stupid laptop companies don't give you a motherboard driver...some sleuthing is required on your part.

Also..if you can't boot from CD...try a usb CD drive. If that doesn't work, try a usb floppy drive with a Win98 boot disk or some other floppy with CD drivers on it to see if the CD driver truly is bad. If that doesn't work than it's time to get rid of that POS. :^)

Good luck,

Don

Collapse -
HP...

May Be able to save some Tail-chasing.. Which model HP is this???

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.