Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

0 yesterday morning at 5 AM.
-2 this morning at 5 AM.
Snow coming tomorrow
Oil is $2.399 a gallon.
Gas at $2.099 a gallon

Other than that its a beautiful day out here looking at it from inside out.

Reminds me of that old NE saying ''Wait a minute, and it will change'' Somehow this also seems to relate to the new CNet or SE. Happy

George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Loads of ice/sleet here

In reply to: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

being dumped on me for the last four hours...hopefully it will turn off to just rain later this morning and melt off before the freezing temps hit by early evening or I'm looking at being stuck for the next week waiting to be able to get out of my long gravel driveway again. Will have to figure out how to keep it from building up on the satellite tv and satellite modem dishes in the yard, too. If I'm really lucky the power won't cut out like it normally does with ice and/or heavy snowfalls.

TONI

Collapse -
I wonder ...

In reply to: Loads of ice/sleet here

... if you could rig something out of the electric cables folks put on their roofs near the gutters to melt the snow & ice? I don't know how that might work in terms of reception, etc. but just a thought.

Collapse -
satellite dishes are on poles in the yard

In reply to: I wonder ...

and at the back of the house where the slope of the roof is the pitch and not the grooves where ice rolls off...those grooves are go in the direction of the sides of the house instead fortunately (however, one side is the deck and has two roofs so the very top one dumps onto the shorter roof over the new room I had built and that roof dumps to the deck but is only about 7' from the floor of the deck rather than 20' so the roll-off isn't quite so dangerous as it is on the other side of the house. The pups were on the dangerous side when it let go last week and scared the heck out of them and they walk the fence line now to get to the back 'yard' area instead of walking near the house itself. And they don't go on the deck at all (I think it's because the steps are iced over) They learned quickly.....

TONI

Collapse -
Minus 9 in Keene this morning

Probably colder where I am. I heard the warmest spot in the state was Mt. Washington!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's still Autumn by the way...

In reply to: Minus 9 in Keene this morning

Collapse -
It is that darned man caused Global Warming!

In reply to: (NT) It's still Autumn by the way...

The weather simply wasn't like this before they started playing with spears and Atlatls and Woomeras and Mirus and also bows and arrows and slings.

Collapse -
Yep, has to be. Plus

In reply to: It is that darned man caused Global Warming!

all this human gas being expelled into the atmosphere. (Flatulence I believe they call it) Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) depends on which end

In reply to: Yep, has to be. Plus

Collapse -
I'm with you!

Man is this global warming getting me down! They are saying this could be one of the top 10 coldest Decembers in 200 years. And we're expecting more snow tonight! Already had two class cancellations for snow. Can't recall the last time that happened in a Fall semester -- usually it is the Spring semester January and February that snow causes problems!

We've actually been keeping the house at around 50-55 and using an electric heater in the bedroom. Since it's just the two of us, it makes no sense to heat the whole house.

Glad to see you around. How's the health holding up?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Keeping the house at 50-55?...

In reply to: I'm with you!

Good grief Evie, thats like living in an igloo. I keep mine at 72 period. My health is so, so. One day at a time. Very boring.

Mentioning health and costs to keep us old folks surviving, and for what I don't know. In addition to the prednisone, coumadin, inhalents and a bucket full of other pills, I'm also receiving weekly injections of Darbepoetin (Aranesp) to stimulate red blood cell production. (Anemia) I just found out the other day these shots are $7000 a pop. Imagine that. Every week they shoot me with $7000 worth of juice and it burns like hell going in. I did'nt believe it, so I looked it up on the Net. No cost factor found for here in the States, but Canada has it at $2400 for the dose I receive. So, now I have to watchout for the Insurance Co. They will probably put a hit out on me. Happy

George

Collapse -
Hang in there ...

In reply to: Keeping the house at 50-55?...

The bedroom is kept at a VERY comfy temperature and we have a full bath attached. So the only other reason to go anywhere is the kitchen and the cooking warms that up a bit more. The rest of the floor plan is open and we have a cathedraled ceiling in the entrance and don't heat the upstairs at all (pipes have been drained or they have antifreeze in the loops, we've never used that zone in all the years I've lived here). So that entrance is a giant heat "suck" that we really can't do anything about. Since it's just us, we have a TV in the bedroom and I can't remember the last time we sat at the kitchen table to eat dinner. Maybe last time Sue visited? The other room we'll hang out in is the family room but only if we have a fire in the fireplace. Then we'll hang a sheet over the archway to the entrance and it gets pretty toasty.

I'm glad to hear you've still got that sense of humor. That's how I know you're A-OK or as best as can be. All the meds sound like a drag, but try not to worry about the costs. I wonder sometimes if they don't inflate the charges on the bills to scare folks into carrying so much insurance! There's some costs that just cannot be accounted for by any other means!

Stay warm!
Evie Happy

Collapse -
Ditto on that *brrrrr* for me, too

Here in SouthCentral Oregon at around 4900ft we are at 5F here this AM.

Warmed up from yesterday AM when it was -8 Happy

Colder than normal (we usually get our "below zero" in January). We have only had one "big dump" of snow so far, which was a couple weeks ago when we got close to 2 feet or so.

Historically, back in 1980 we had the warmest December 15th on record when it was 62F; and in 1931 it reached the lowest temp at -15.

When I was a young'un in elementary school (the Dark Ages Happy ) we would only expect the schools to close when we got either a huge snowstorm overnight so the busses couldn't run (we had kids that travelled as far as 75 miles one-way) , or when it got below -10F. When it was really cold they would allow us girls to wear pants to school. We all kept at least one pair of nice pants without holes in the knees just in case we got to wear them to school. It was a cool thing to have happen. Grin

Collapse -
yea brrrr

Last Update on Dec 15, 9:53 am CST

Collapse -
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

67 in Dallas the other day. Yesterday, not quite so warm, only the low 50s. The locals were complaining about the cold, LOL.

Devil

Collapse -
Moderators!!! Please pull this post! :)

In reply to: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

That's just wrong, Josh!

Cruel and unusual punishment!!

My favorite saying for when the temperature gets to where it is now in my part of the country: ''It's colder than a well-digger's a$$ in January!!'' Grin

--Marcia ''No, I have never checked a well-digger's anything before'' B--

Collapse -
In Cleveland with all that

In reply to: Moderators!!! Please pull this post! :)

lake effect snow and cold, we used say 'colder than a witch's t.t' (course, we referred to some people the same way for those not so generous with compassion)

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Heh,Heh, Haven't heard that expression in years.(Grin)

In reply to: In Cleveland with all that

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) August is just around the corner.

Collapse -
Hi Josh,

Enjoy it this winter!! When we first moved here, I too was in a long-sleeved t-shirt while the locals were looking like Eskimos. This year however, I'm shivering right along with them. That's how you know when you've become a Southerner....your blood is as thin as theirs!

It's 33 degrees here right now, but we're having sleet/freezing rain. They figure it'll be just rain by this afternoon. Hope so! The hubby has an hour's drive to work on curvy mountain backroads.

--Cindi

Collapse -
Hi Cindi

In reply to: Hi Josh,

I read on CNN that western NC is having an ice storm, the same one affecting Mark in the Atlanta area. Glad to hear it's not as bad as that where you are.

Collapse -
Well, we ARE having an ice storm today

In reply to: Hi Cindi

But they expect it to turn to rain at some point. Personally, I don't have anywhere to go so I'm fine, but Greg has to go to work tonight so he has to be out in it. I made a big pot of soup though, so I'm keeping warm!

--Cindi

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well at least this far east, rain is all we've seen.

In reply to: Well, we ARE having an ice storm today

Collapse -
was 31 here with

freezing rain

Collapse -
Our great storm fizzled out today in Indy,...

...but it'll be 70 and dry on Sunday at the RCA Dome for the Colts' smackdown of Scam Diego....]:)

Collapse -
Let's talk COLD and SNOW

Enjoy your "cool" weather, and "heavy" frost.

In 1979 was living just outside of Chicago. We had a good snow storm and then the temps dropped to the MINUS 30's farenheit with wind chills around -50. THAT's COLD !!!!!!!!

Now, here's what SNOW looks like, and try to imagine it with those temps ?

Look at the roof line of my house.

An then, how you like to shovel this drive.

Now living in the "sun belt", and never make fun of those who have to endure winter weather.

Collapse -
That's how it was in Cleveland

In reply to: Let's talk COLD and SNOW

in 1977......I had just picked up my 1977 Ford Supercab pickup four days before it hit. Left work 'early' at 3:30 when it was announced that the interstates were already being closed. That meant having to drive the back roads out but up a steep hill about two miles from my house. Everybody patiently lined up and one vehicle at a time took the trip up that hill sliding onto both sides of the road until they crested and the next one took off.

What normally took twenty minutes to drive home took three hours. Once I got up that hill I was 'home free' to get to my street (which only had one lane in normal conditions to travel on since parking was allowed down one side because so many people didn't have garages. I was one of those lucky ones that had one so I just had to hope nobody was stupidly trying to come from the opposite direction while I was heading for the driveway.

By morning, the snow was over four feet and that didn't count the drifts....

TONI

Collapse -
I remember that winter ...

In reply to: That's how it was in Cleveland

But I wasn't in Cleveland. The snow in Golden, CO wasn't that bad, but I had to travel to Chicago and Ithaca, NY for graduate school interviews during some of the worst of that winter's weather.

IIRC, the Chicago area went for weeks without getting above 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Ithaca was pretty. It was far enough away from the Great Lakes and the 'snow belt' that it didn't get hit as bad as some places in the region.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!