Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Browsers IE, Safari or Chrome won't work. Firefox does.

by naildriver7 / July 5, 2010 11:47 PM PDT

Get the message CFURLErrorDomain:306 when I try to load any of the mentioned browsers. I run Win XP on an HP Pavillion. HELP!!!! How can I correct this??? I had a virus and when I removed it and supposedly had everything fixed this is what I got.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browsers IE, Safari or Chrome won't work. Firefox does.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browsers IE, Safari or Chrome won't work. Firefox does.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is that the full error message?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2010 5:31 AM PDT

or did you miss words out, like;

?There was a problem communicating with the web proxy server (HTTP).? (CFURLErrorDomain:306)

If that is the full error, then it looks like your browsers are attempting to connect to the internet through a proxy server.

Try this, open Internet Options from the Control Panel. Goto the Connections tab and then click the LAN Settings button. If anything is entered under "Proxy server", remove them. Leave everything else blank or not selected. Click OK/Apply/OK, then try Internet Explorer again. If it works, may be the other browsers will as well. If not, check their options for any Proxy connection settings.

Mark

Collapse -
Browsers won't work.
by naildriver7 / July 6, 2010 9:04 AM PDT

Mark.
Thank you. The info you provided did the trick. I am now able to use any of the browsers I have loaded on my computer.
Thanks again
Joe

Collapse -
GLad you got it sorted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 6, 2010 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Browsers won't work.

and thanks for reporting back.

That "Proxy Server" thing is a darn nuisance, and is too often set by malware.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
it worked!
by Bulletix / July 27, 2010 11:09 AM PDT

yep...proxy not so foxy...now I'm able to connect with Safari (windows) chrome, explored, and Mozilla.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad that worked for you too.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 27, 2010 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: it worked!
Collapse -
Thank you
by JoseBmac / November 20, 2010 12:07 PM PST

You tip did the trick thank you very much

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.