HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Browsers Hang

by CarloMas / September 7, 2014 11:10 PM PDT

I now use Firefox 30.0 with Windows Vista and cable internet. When I click on links (for example from Google News) or open an online pdf, the browser often "hangs" and the entire computer freezes up, sometimes for a minute or more. All I get are messages on the bottom about transferring data from various places or waiting for various things (s.ytimg is a common one). Not only can't I work in other windows (or tabs) but I can't even use any other program. Similar freezes (called Not Responding) occurred when I was using IE 9. I understand that many web pages are slow to load but don't see why I can't do any other work on my computer while I'm waiting.

I've run plenty of antivirus, malware and adware checks and found nothing. JavaScript is enabled. I have version 14,0,0,179 of Adobe Flash Player installed. All plugins are up to date and all are set to always activate except for Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.670.1 10.67.2.1, which Firefox set by default to ask to activate due to some vulnerability.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browsers Hang
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browsers Hang
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Since the computer hung I suspect PC problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Browsers Hang

Tell me about your maintenance. Canned air every month? If over a few years, did you have or do the usual heatsink compound replacement?

Also, why not try other browsers?
And why Java?
Bob

Collapse -
@Bob
by CarloMas / September 9, 2014 1:59 AM PDT

None. It's a 7-year old Dell Dimension E521 and I'd be afraid to open the PC itself (if that's what you're suggesting). My only hardware issue is the DVD drive (TSST TS H653-A SCSI), which doesn't read DVDs and sometimes opens for no reason. I can reluctantly live without it.

I used IE exclusively until earlier this year when there was all that bad publicity so I switched to Firefox (evidently I can't uninstall IE so it's still there too). Is there a browser you'd recommend in preference to Firefox?

Don't I need Java to view many websites?

Collapse -
I don't need Java for 99% of web sites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: @Bob
Collapse -
Answer
Try using this guide.
by drone_undrone / November 23, 2014 11:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
try this
by vembutech / January 9, 2015 6:14 AM PST

Hi, As you have mentioned the firefox browser is hanging, check below steps:

Restart the browser.

Open the browser in the safe mode.
( check the link how to open it in safe mode HOW TO OPEN IN SAFE MODE )

You have to re install the browser, and then check it.

Collapse -
Answer
Try disabling the hardware acceleration
by Allenage / January 9, 2015 4:30 PM PST
Collapse -
Just sharing...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 9, 2015 4:53 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.