Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Browsers do not work

I installed the Longhorn software to test it (ugh!), and decided to remove it. When I uninstalled it I had to use the XPcd to restore my sysyem.Ufortunately I had SP2 on the machine and an XPpro cd.I had to uninstall SP2 to run SFC but when the system re-estarted after the SP2 uninstall, something happened and neither of my browsers (IE and Firefox) will connect to the internet. All the programs that need internet connections and ask for them through ZL work as does my e-mail(Outlook). Nothing I do seems to help. Firefox comes up with a blank screen when opened and IE shows the DNS message most of the time.

I have reinstalled a repair version of XP Pro but have not reinstalled SP2.

I am at a losshere,and am really trying to avoid a clean re-install of XP and then reinstalling all my programs.

Any help is appreciated.

I am Running an Intel 865 board with a 2.4G P4, Windows and program files on the C Partition, am connecting through a cable connection and a router and have all the AV and spyware protection we know and love.

Rich

Posted by: rdatrader Posted on: 02/25/2005 12:36 PM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browsers do not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browsers do not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps

In reply to: Browsers do not work

a. "WinSock XP Fix" (Image) offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then "download" and give WinSock XP Fix a try, a 1,412kb file. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

b. "LSP-Fix" is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Perhaps

I did get your downloads using a back-up OS on another HDD on my PC. You woun't believe this but something told me to uninstall Zone Labs first, and when I did one of the other programs I use (Spy Subtract I think) asked if I wanted it to repair my network. I did, it did and both browsers are up and running.

There is something about the latest version of ZL and my computer (with XPpro), but as I recollect this is not the first time I am going back to an earlier version of ZL.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have saved those files for the future.

Rich

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.