Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Browsers do not play music on MySpace

by macnerd10 / September 21, 2011 5:02 AM PDT

A friend on Facebook gave me a link to her songs on MySpace. When I
click on "Play", a new window with music player opens, the ad (Flash)
loads correctly but the player does not load. In 2-3 minutes it shows
"player temporarily unavailable". This is the same on 4 different
browsers. I've run Onyx on full maintenance and no luck. However, the
new admin account has Safari playing music OK; therefore, I have
problems on the main account. Uninstalling and reinstalling Flash player did not help. Resetting SMC did not help. Any suggestions on what to clean
up/trash/rebuild?The computer is 2.66 GHz 17" MacBook Pro, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.7.1, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browsers do not play music on MySpace
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browsers do not play music on MySpace
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You say that admin account works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 5:03 AM PDT

Try making a new account and try it in that new account.

Collapse -
misunderstanding
by macnerd10 / September 21, 2011 5:51 AM PDT

I said that the new test admin account works but not the main one. Now tried DW from an external HD. Found and repaired an error in the volume but no luck again in playing music on MySpace.

Collapse -
(NT) So why not move to a new account?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: misunderstanding
Collapse -
Thought about it
by macnerd10 / September 21, 2011 8:34 AM PDT

The home account contains a lot of customizations, understandably, that are not present in the new one. I am mostly worried about internet bookmarks and passwords, plus Office customizations. Will try to figure out what can I replace in the home account from the test one. Thinking about replacing all Apple- and Adobe-related preferences first. If that works, no more worries. Another option is to get the whole home folder Library from a clone of my work computer that is nearly identical to the home one. Would love to repair the home account though, to understand what happened. Looks like this is not a standard problem...

Collapse -
problem solved
by macnerd10 / September 21, 2011 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Thought about it

Copied whatever was in the work computer home folder about the browsers and their preferences. All fine now.

Collapse -
(NT) Rough fix but good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2011 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: problem solved
Collapse -
Thanks!
by macnerd10 / September 24, 2011 5:42 AM PDT

To be exact, most copied files came from the folder home>Library>Application support. Preferences in the preference folder were also replaced. Needless to say, all was done when booted from an external FireWire drive.

Collapse -
Two more things for others...
by macnerd10 / October 8, 2011 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

1. Some of the browser settings are actually stored in the main Library: in Applications Support and Caches. These should also be changed.
2. Recently got a problem with Firefox 7.0.1 crashing on quit. No change seemed to help. However, when I switched to "open in 32-bit mode" in get info window, it started behaving as usual. This is on MBP 2009 "supporting" 64 bit architecture. It still does not like it even under Lion. A MacPro 2011 has no issue with this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!