Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

browsers and java

I don't know where to begin. Everything worked just great until I decided to go to the java.com page and check to see if I had the latest version. What I did is too long and tedious to repeat here, but now I cannot play games from my firefox browser. I can from IE. I did system restore a few times, crashed both IE and Firefox, another restore got me IE back and crashed Firefox again.

Now on my firefox tools,javascript console is blank, and a few things like games on yahoo, and some links on websites cause it to close. (uninstalled and installed firefox 3 times so that won't help).

In my add/remove programmes in control panel I have these two programmes.Java runtime environment, SE V1.4.2_03, and another programme with the same name ending in _04.I think I downloaded the newest version from java.com but before installation it kept asking me to uninstall the older versions, which I did. At this point I can't even remember exactly what happened or what I did, step by step, as I did so much!

Running windows XP pro, SP2, and all worked great till yesterdaySad I uninstalled my Norton antivirus which hadn't expired two days ago, and installed avg. Now I realise I cannot even submit a post from firefox. Many thanks to anyone who can help me sort out this complicated mess.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: browsers and java
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: browsers and java
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you tried to uninstall then reinstall Firefox?

In reply to: browsers and java

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) twice already but might try one more time:)

In reply to: (NT) Have you tried to uninstall then reinstall Firefox?

Collapse -
danger

In reply to: (NT) twice already but might try one more time:)

I opened games through firefox, right clicked on the game i wanted to load and I found options to allow certain websites to use javascript or allow javascript globally. I allowed globally and now every page I go to I have a sign that alerts me to the danger of allowing it globally. Shall I change it back again? Trying to see if this message will get through now that I am globally in danger.

Collapse -
Rona, It Shouldn't Be A Problem..

In reply to: danger

...to run Javascript globally unless you have an older version of Firefox..Here's what I would suggest.

First, if you don't have the newest version of Firefox 1.0.4, then download it from the link below.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Next, download the newest Sun Java version from the link below. Download the full Offline installer to your desktop. Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the "Download Windows J2SE JRE" download link that is in the "J2SE v 1.4.2_08 JRE includes the JVM technology" section. Download the file to your desktop.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

AFTER you have both installer files on your desktop, then uninstall the previous versions of Firefox and all of the previous Sun versions of Java.

Now restart the computer and install the new Firefox and the new Java version. The newest version of Firefox should allow you to run Javascript globally in a safe manner.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you Grif!

In reply to: Rona, It Shouldn't Be A Problem..

Thanks Grif. Followed your instructions and as usual, had good results. My computer is back to normal except that I still see that little S with a red exclamation mark saying danger! blah blah. From your post I gathered that it shouldn't be a problem so will stop fretting. In my add/remove programmes, I saw J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 2. I did not delete it with the other ones shall I get rid of that too? Saving all the installers on desktop just in case you tell me I have to repeat the process!Happy

You are the best! Many thanks

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, You Can Remove The Other Java 5 Version

In reply to: Thank you Grif!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.