that would not show up. So I went on line to ask which is the best
overall browser for my ppc mac. And most of the responce came
up with camino. After using it for a few weeks now I thing they are
right. What do you think?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: browsers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: browsers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I think

I think browser choice is something of a personal taste issue. I've tried Camino in the past and not found it to my liking. And I do believe that recently they switched from Firefox's Gecko rendering engine to Safari's WebKit, so in effect Safari and Camino are just two different interfaces on the same browser. Kind of like all the Internet Explorer replacement shells for Windows that flourished in the early 2000s.

- Collapse -
I agree

I am often using Firefox, and as JG said, all the Mozilla browsers are pretty much the same. Recently, there was a discussion about pdf making from web pages and we found out that if one wants to preserve functional links in pdf files, only Safari and iCab do the job. This is why more than one browser should be kept in each computer. I personally prefer iCab as arguably the safest and fastest browser. You pay 25 bucks for it but if money is a big issue one can suffer through a 10-sec reminder at the launch. The PPC version runs best under Safari webkit agent that is posted on its support page. It is a one-man operation, so the developer is very responsive to questions if you buy it. It has been my browser of choice for the last 5 years and I found only a couple of times when it had glitches with certain pages. Another plus: it can save pages as pdf (not through printing but directly).

CNET Forums