Computer Help forum

General discussion

Browsers

I would like to know which browser is fast..I.E. seems to be bombing out...it has my computer running staggered..for example I put my mouse or move my mouse and it isn't smooth at all..and hard to move..I find anything on Facebook...runs slow..especially the games I play on there...half the programs don't load up..which browser for those programs should I download..I tried mozilla but it also seemed slow...any suggestions ...or safari?? Or do you have better suggestion..this is an HP lap top Windows Vista..(hopefully not for long) DV2000 32 bit operating system AMD turion Memory Ram 1.00 GB 64x2 1.60 GHz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browsers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browsers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two thoughts

In reply to: Browsers

Two thoughts come to mind.

1: 1GB of RAM is woefully inadequate for any version of Vista, even Home Basic.

2: You quite probably have a bunch of malware compounding the issue.

Collapse -
Malware

In reply to: Two thoughts

How do I get rid of Malware...I find my computer running and the fan constantly kicking on..is malware causing it and if so ..is there a program to clean malware?

Collapse -
Well

In reply to: Malware

Well, to answer both your questions.

If you need to ask a question like that, you'll just want to have someone else put the RAM in. Go to a site like Crucial.com and it will tell you what type of RAM your system uses, and how much it can hold total. It will also give you the option of buying various amounts of RAM for your system. You can either buy it from there or you can write down the details and take it to a retail store. Then take the laptop to some service like Best Buy's Geek Squad and have them put it in.

As for the malware, that's a bit of a can of worms, because you need a small fleet of programs to deal with it, and you might still find that the damage is so extensive that your only recourse is to wipe the drive clean and start over.

But you can start by downloading the following programs: Adaware, Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Install each one, make sure it updates itself with the latest definition files, and then run each one in succession. Also add Windows Defender to that which is bundled with Windows Vista. I'm betting you will be quite surprised at the level of stuff they find.

That will probably take you a good chunk of the remaining day, and later when I'm on my primary system I can post a copy of my tips for keeping your system running smoothly. Unless someone beats me to it anyway.

Collapse -
Slow browsing

In reply to: Browsers

Part of the problem is 1GB of RAM. With Win vista, 2GB is ok 1GB will barely cut it, so part of your problem is insufficient memory. Personally, in anticipation (if you are going to go to WIN 7)I would yank what ram is in the system and go to 4 GB. As far as a faster browser is concerned there are different trains of thought along those lines. There are a couple of good alternate browsers out there, Mozilla Firefox and Opera, both are functional and easy to use, I use both on a couple of different systems, Mozilla being the one that I use the most.

Collapse -
GB

In reply to: Slow browsing

How can I add more GB to this lap top? Is there a way?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.