Question

Browser Weirdness-Redirect

[me again] I'm still a "dummie" tho not a newbie. Need your expert help - again! This is hard to explain. Browsers I use now: IE7 & MSN [Nobody else does! but I like it]. I use Bing Image search & Google Images all the time. Now when search word is entered I get a weird redirect to some other universe . Sometimes [not always] I use the browser address bar directly with a known/partial url and the same thing happens. Avast runs in the background; *daily* run AVG Virus-Ck and IObit malware + 3x/wk also Malwarebytes [never finds anything] and another Virus scan w/Avast. Everything is fine. So what's the deal with this browser weirdness? It's not a good sign. Bing & Google are big boys and very necessary. I've been told to never touch the Registry so I don't. HELP! thanks muchly, ginni system: older Dell. XP Pro-SP3. slower chip.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Browser Weirdness-Redirect
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Browser Weirdness-Redirect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
What I see in your post.

From Newbie to Dummy is good. Honest! Happy

But I see IOBit software in your post. Sadly we often see problems reported after using this software, and we never recommend it.

Also, can you clarify that your have Avast and AVG installed on your system? Not necessarily toxic, as long as only one runs continuously in the background. If both are, you may see conflicts as they both attempt to scan files at the same time.

Also, AVG has a browser add-on that checks all web sites as you surf. It used to be called "LinkScanner", and sometimes caused problems. The name of the add-on has changed, but perhaps the problems have not. I don't know if Avast has a similar type add-on. If so, again there could be conflicts.

Tell us more about the search redirect problems. You say, "When a search word is entered". Does that mean that, as you are typing the word in the Search box, your browser immediately gets redirected?

So, if you use Google to search for ISS, (that is the International Space Station), where does your browser immediately go to?

When i type a word such as ISS, then click Search, I get a list of sites offered. I then right click one of the entries in the list, then select "New tab".

Are you using a search toolbar?

Whenever we see IE problems our first test is to try Internet Explorer's No Add-on option, in Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools. Try that, and see if search works properly there. I can't talk for the MSN browser, I never use it.

If that IE option gives no errors when searching, then this looks like an add-on problem, and they can be given the 'elimination test' in Tools > Manage Add-ons.

Hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
Browsers Weird Behavior-Clarifications

Mark - thanks for your reply.
I'm still working on clarifications for you... Here's some of it: I don't run AVG & AVAST in background concurrently - I know that much. AVAST runs always [free ver]. I have the AVG "LinkScanner" disabled as it seems akin to 'running programs concurrently.' I have AVG [free ver] on scheduled scan. I run AVAST manually maybe 3/week.
Will do the IE "No Add-Ons Option" - thanks.
Ya know how this works: You get a stomach ache. You go to the doctor & the stomach ache is gone. I tried a Bing Image Search from my MSN Browser - g.d. but it worked fine, once. I still have to look into the same mess at IE. Here's kinda how it goes [both browsers]:
I type in the box a search term for images e.g. 'Japan temple bells' & hit Enter. Normally all the images begin to appear. Instead, a new page w/odd url appears above [http://looksearch-result.com/gosearch.php?q=...] and the page reads only: "Object Moved To *Here*" to click. When I click [dummie?!?], I get a new page with a list of *totally unrelated* sites. MSN browser is supposedly 'driven' by IE. When I go to IE Browser, the same redirect details occur. Hope this much info helps.
I'm so sorry to hear the bad news/reviews of IOBit as it always catches lotsa stuff and I've been using it daily. Please - What's your recommend for the top 2 or 3 Free all-around Malware-Adware-Spyware programs? thanks about a dozen times more. ginni
p.s. just before my success w/Bing Search via MSN - I did a Check Disk - maybe that helped. I've had to run Ck Dsk *frequently* and you'll ask "Why?" My regular maintenance routine used to include Disk Clean-Up weekly & Defrag about once a month. Neither have been functional for a long time. (Nor can I use System Restore [rarely need to, so let's not go there now]). Start>AllPrograms>Accessories>SystemTools>DiskCleanUp - sometimes an error: "The File or Dir C:\ is Corrupt & Unreadable. Run Ck Dsk" Then that error doesn't return the next few times. Sometimes Ck Dsk "Can't Complete" either. I run Ck Dsk again and it works. Then Disk CleanUp will work too. Not Defrag.
This Ck Dsk thing is a whole other story. I'm *so* sorry to be such a R.P.I.T.A. Please Inform if these posts are too long.

- Collapse -
Please Try This..

Because malware can cause such issues, please try the steps below:

First,
make sure to clean out all your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies
(in all browsers), then clean out the "Temp" folders on your computer..
(If using XP, eliminate all files from the "C:\Documents and
Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temp" and C:\Windows\Temp folders.

Next, if you can download the tools below on your current computer, and get
them to work, then fine, but frequently the problem malware prevents the
programs from running correctly. If that's the case, then download ALL
of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and
copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem
machine.

First, run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)There
are 3 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the
other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close
after finding all the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as AdminYou only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe

Rkill.com
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

Rkill.scr
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and TDSSKiller from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or
flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the
computer after running Rkill. Install and run a full system scan with Malwarebytes and the Hitman Pro program from the link below.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hitman Pro 3.5

Next, download TDSSKiller and follow the guide to use the tool:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

And when you're done, check your LAN settings in Internet Explorer like this:Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab.
Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a
proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums