Computer Help forum

General discussion

Browser stops working after 1-2 hours while still online...

by rcs0926 / December 3, 2009 8:02 AM PST

I'm really hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on with my computer. When I boot up my computer, I have no issues at all with online functionality. My email and anti-virus software are able to connect online, and I have no issues using my internet browser. However, after anywhere from 1-3 hours of using my browser, it just stops working even though everything else is still online. I still receive new emails through Microsoft Outlook, and my anti-virus software still gets security updates. The only online component that doesn't work is my web browser (IE or Firefox). When I try to load up a page, I get a message that says that I'm still online but can't load up a webpage.

Does anyone know what could possibly be the issue? When this problem happens, I have to restart my computer to be able to use the internet again. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with my firewall. I just can't figure out why the internet doesn't work after a certain amount of time. I'd be less puzzled if the internet didn't work at all from the time I booted up my computer, but that's not the case. I'd appreciate any advice regarding this issue. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser stops working after 1-2 hours while still online...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser stops working after 1-2 hours while still online...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me Too
by SparkyBill / December 25, 2009 8:23 PM PST

Going to be watching this thread as it's exactly what I am experiencing.

Collapse -
We have no way of knowing
by Cursorcowboy / December 25, 2009 9:23 PM PST

how a user's box is connected to the WWW unless the question contains such information. We have no way of knowing what a user has checked and the result of any repair unless the question contains that information. Just because IE isn't connected to the WWW, it may or it may not be a problem with a program or a system infection. We must take tiny steps and start at the very beginning. Don't forget about the "RED" text above the box where you start asking a question:

"If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

Please remember to include operating system service pack update information. When asking a question concerning a specific program or peripheral used on your system tell us its name and version, manufacturer and model number.

1. The article [Q870700] explains how to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet Explorer:

? Network connectivity issues
? Look for third-party firewall or antivirus programs
? Turn off the pop-up blocker
? Delete the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder
? Configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer
? Use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to scan all files that are protected by Windows File Protection (WFP)
? Third-party browser extensions
? Create a new user profile

2. Click Start, Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then press ENTER. Click the Local Area Connection in the right window pane and look to see what is displayed at the bottom Details of the first column of the Network Connections context window. You should see a connection, whether connected and firewalled protected, including the network controller and IP Address.

3. It the Details does not show a proper connection, what happens if you repair it? Right-click the Local Area Connection and select Repair which may or may not restores the connectivity of your network connection. Repair operations attempt to refresh the stored data related to the connection and renew registration with networking services. Repair is used to issue broadcast renew of the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) address, flush the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), NetBIOS and domain name service (DNS) local caches, and reregister with Windows Internet Name Service (WINS_ and DNS.)

4. "You receive an error message in Internet Explorer: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" (Q956196)."

5. The article [Q314067] explains the procedure that you can use to troubleshoot TCP/IP issues depends on the type of network connection that you are using and the connectivity problem that you may be experiencing. Use either the instructions in the topic Automated troubleshooting or simply click Start, Run, type netsh diag gui, and then press ENTER.

Note: As instructed, "look for any items that are marked in "RED", expand those categories with the small plus in front, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed" and if you have further question concerning "FAILED" items, included them in your subsequent posts -- any item(s) displayed can be highlighted and copied.

Collapse -
I have the same problem...Browsers Chrome, FF, IE all freeze
by rfarrisjr / February 9, 2010 4:16 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 Vista
I have noticed that my browsers only freeze when I'm using the wifi where I currently live. First FF will lock up (example: gmail will not return back to the inbox and will display a message "still working" then the message telling me to check my internet connection. I try closing and reopening FF and it won't let me reopen telling me FF is already open on my system. So, I open Chrome and within 20-30 minutes it freezes also. Only solution is to reboot 8-10 times a day.

I've attempted "memory leak" solutions suggested in other forums none of which helped. Also, the tweaking mentioned above does not address the problem.
Any thoughts Anyone?

Collapse -
Did you try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 4:43 AM PST

To log out and back in? This will close old stuck in memory programs.

Collapse -
Log Out?
by rfarrisjr / February 9, 2010 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try.

I'm not sure what you mean by "logout".
I try closing and reopening the browsers. But, 1. FF won't let me restart since the system won't release the memory in use. I've attempted to "end the task" via the Task Manager. But, no luck there either. 2. Chrome won't respond to either of the above efforts either.
Is there another log out proceedure?

Collapse -
How to log out of Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: Log Out?
Collapse -
Log Out attempted
by rfarrisjr / February 9, 2010 7:12 AM PST

Thanks. I tried the Log Out suggestion and it did not free up the FireFox memory. I had to resort to ReBoot.

Collapse -
This is very very strange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Log Out attempted

I've yet to see firefox remain in memory after a logout. Are you sure you are not looking at something else?

That is, some are looking at "free memory" which in a properly setup VM (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_(operating_system) ) free memory should hit ZERO so that all of it is in use.
Bob

Collapse -
Log Out
by rfarrisjr / February 9, 2010 10:20 AM PST

I tried Log Out again when FF again froze up and got the same result. FireFox was still running on the machine and I had to reboot.
Does anyone have any ideas about the WiFi angle?

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: Log Out

I'm working along a method I use to sniff out where the issue is. We don't care yet that firefox locks up again YET. I can't tell if logging out and back in works differently than a reboot.

Some are not willing to try things to sniff out where the issue is. I have a suspicion but you won't like it.

The age of the machine MATTERS here. For 2 to 4 plus year old Dells I'll try the usuals then pull a wifi card from the bench, disable the onboard wifi and run off a wifi card for a test. That usually is the cure.

If you want to skip all the trials that I use to see if it's a driver or something else, that's fine too.
Bob

Collapse -
WiFi Card
by rfarrisjr / February 9, 2010 10:53 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

Ah, the wifi card. I did some time ago test the wifi driver and it tested OK. Disconnecting and using one off the bench just went beyond my skill level. But, that make the most sense so far. I'll have to get local help to get to that level.
Thanks,
Bob

Collapse -
IE8 freezes up after a period online (Vista)
by aalchimiste / February 9, 2010 6:45 AM PST

What works for me is to go into Task Manager ie:
Ctrl-Alt-Del then select 'Start Task Manager'
Select Tab - 'Processes'
Click on 'CPU' arrow down so max value at top
If IE content is the problem then this will be at top of the list of processes at around 50%
Select the offending 'iexplore.exe' which is hogging resources and click on 'End Process' button then confirm 'End Process'

This frees up resources so that IE continues normally (until the next time!)
Not sure why but certain web content misbehaves and locks IE into an unrecoverable loop

Collapse -
Task Manager
by rfarrisjr / February 9, 2010 7:16 AM PST

Thanks. I rarely use IE. Only as a last resort. However, I've attempted to clear the memory of FF and task manager will not shut down the process. Still ReBoot is the only process yet to work. I've rebooted at least 6 times this afternoon. AARG!
Again, this problem really shows up when I'm working at home. On other wifi's (other homes, offices, and public)I do not have this issue. I can go all day without a problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?