Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Browser problems re-fresh only

by barb214 / September 16, 2008 2:30 AM PDT

I have a dell dimension 5150 running windows xp. I have just changed the firewall from Zone alarm to COMODO firewall pro, I also have Ad Aware and Spybot search and destroy and AVG anti virus installed. I use Firefox browser which recently has the habit of showing a download error when I try to link to another page. The page is only accessed If I re fresh the page. this does not happen every time I open a new tab only on occasions.
Any help please.
Ps. how do I change my log in details as my E-Mail has changed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser problems re-fresh only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser problems re-fresh only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try it without Ad Aware and Spybot
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

Then install just one of those.

Collapse -
borwser re fresh
by barb214 / September 19, 2008 7:29 PM PDT

Thanks for a quick reply. I have tried as you suggested, problem still there I am afraid.

Collapse -
If The Page Is FTP, Then It's A Common Problem...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

..with Firefox, at least with the newest versions.. In my experience, FF doesn't handle FTP sites well and all my machines using Firefox experience the same problem as you. I tend to use Internet Explorer when downloading from FTP sites.. With FF, in order to get the newest FTP display, you'll need to refresh the page.. The download error is the result of the "old" display being incorrect. Refreshing the page, then performing the download should fix the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RE-FRESH
by barb214 / September 21, 2008 2:58 AM PDT

Griff,
I use FF because I thought it was safer than IE, although I still have this installed.
Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea when I am I am on a FTP site. All I am doing is viewing a web page and want to visit links on the page, the re-fresh problem is only recent, but I have just upgraded to FF3, perhaps it is the latest version that is the problem.
Re "Refreshing the page, then performing the download should fix the issue" I am not actually downloading anything to save on my hard drive
just surfing.

Collapse -
Can You Provide A Link To Such a Page?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: RE-FRESH

It may or may not be an FTP site but a link to one of those problem sites would sure give us a clue.. In order to determine if it's an FTP site, simply look at the address bar at the top of Firefox.. Most websites begin with the letters http://. An FTP site begins with the letters ftp://.

Also, the EXACT 'download error' would help..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
rer-fresh
by barb214 / September 21, 2008 11:37 PM PDT

Griff,
This was a site I wanted to visit after searching Google for "kitesurfing kites" http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kitesurfing+kites&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
I clicked one of the links on the search result and the page load came up. "Failed to Connect"
As far as I am aware all the pages I visit have http:// I have never been aware of ftp://

The connection was refused when attempting to contact kitesurfingschool.org.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Collapse -
Does The Same Thing Happen With Internet Explorer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: rer-fresh

Can you access those same Kite sites using IE? I know you mentioned the problem occurred with Firefox but if the problem isn't occurring with Internet Explorer, then the issue may well be FF related..

If things work fine when using Internet Explorer, then my next step would be to uninstall Firefox, then reinstall it. Here's the link for the newest FF download:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Hmmmmm
by helljack6 / September 22, 2008 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: RE-FRESH

Barb,

You stated that this has only been going on recently, and recently you changed some things on your computer.

First, let's identify what's changed. You went from using ZoneAlarm to using Comodo. This could be the problem right here as Comodo has to continuously update it's rules to "learn" and interpret your internet surfing habits. This COULD be the problem, but there's more to look at.

Are you able to duplicate this error using IE? If you are, then definitely I would be looking at the Firewall software to be the culprit. IF NOT, then yes, most likely it's a browser issue and uninstalling and reinstalling FF would be be most likely fix for the problem.

Collapse -
Adn To Change Your 'Login' Information..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 22, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

After logging in normally, click on the 'My Profile' link in the black, upper right corner of your page. When that opens, in the upper right, you'll see the location for "Update my email address or name".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re fresh
by barb214 / September 29, 2008 7:58 PM PDT

I have managed to solve the problem.
I was advised to reset the TCP/IP stack. This has worked fine all morning. Thank you for all the help.
I have also updated my registeration.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.