Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Browser problems (IE6 and others)

by Dr NiZ / February 5, 2006 12:45 PM PST

I've recently been hit with adware and I've removed all of it; however, now I'm having problems with IE6, Avant, and a desktop weather app. The programs are unable to connect to the internet. After typing in a web address and clicking go, the website will act as if it is loading but nothing ever does. I fear that I may have altered my firewall settings, registry, or something in that nature. The adware itself was described by Adaware, "can cause browser instability." But here's the kicker, Firefox works fine as does Adaware, Spybot, etc. (when updating). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
-Nic

Win XP (with updates till Jan 2006)
P4-512MB
Sony Vaio PCV-RS320

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser problems (IE6 and others)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser problems (IE6 and others)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 11:35 PM PST

Many look up WINSOCKXPFIX on google.com and that helps.

Try the most common cure first.

After you get back online, get EWIDO (google.com) and eject the pests it finds.

Bob

Collapse -
Sounds like IE is corrupt...
by John.Wilkinson / February 6, 2006 3:08 AM PST

Avant browser is not only based on Internet Explorer, it requires that Internet Explorer be installed and operating properly. (Although most think Avast is a stand-alone application, it isn't.) As to the weather application, it depends on which one it is, but a lot of them also require IE to operate. Thus, if IE becomes corrupt, Avant and some other programs may stop functioning properly as well. Firefox and security scanners, on the other hand, could care less if IE is even installed...they reply on nothing but themselves and a valid internet connection, which you have. That explains why some work and some don't.

Given that, I recommend the following:
* Check your firewall, whatever that may be, and make sure IE is still an allowed application.
* Do another set of scans just to make sure you're clear of any other malware. (Try Ewido and an online scan.)
* Try using IEFix to repair the damage done to IE.
* Click here for instructions on how to repair/reinstall IE 6.0.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks, WINSOCKXPFIX Did The Trick
by Dr NiZ / February 6, 2006 5:28 AM PST

I suppose that means it was the registry that was causing the problem.
--------------
Also, Avant is my favorite brower b/c of the implimentation of mouse gestures and Mouse-Click navigation. However, Firefox is much faster. Does anyone know of a brower that's as fast as Firefox and allows mouse gestures, etc.?

Collapse -
Good to read. Link about something I'm using.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 5:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Firefox using extensions...
by John.Wilkinson / February 6, 2006 7:42 AM PST
Collapse -
uhhh...
by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 / February 6, 2006 8:41 AM PST

I'll show my ignorance. What are mouse gestures?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ahhh... needed the laugh... don't know either! :)
by glenn30 / February 6, 2006 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: uhhh...
Collapse -
Mouse Gestures
by Dr NiZ / February 6, 2006 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: uhhh...

Are a very quick way to navigate. They enable you to "go back" a page simply by clicking and holding the right mouse button, moving the mouse to the left, and releasing for example. Other gestures would be "mouse button+movement upwards" to open a new window, "button+diagonal" to close the active tab, etc. Also, my favorite way to navigate is by mouse-click gestures. Such as right-click (hold), left-click (release both) to go back a page and left-click (hold), right-click (release both) to move forward. Typically, if a browser doesn't support these features, I discard them. So far, I've only found 2 (popular) browsers that are pretty good at it: Avant and Opera. Try them out.

-Dr.NiZ

Collapse -
I installed the recommended extension for Fx
by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 / February 8, 2006 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: Mouse Gestures

and I am beginning to fall in love w/ gestures. Thanks for turning me on to this useful feature.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) can I install an extension saved on my HD?
by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 / February 7, 2006 2:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Nevermind
by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 / February 7, 2006 2:47 AM PST

I got it. If anyone else was wondering the same thing. Just open it through windows like any other file, and when windows asks which program to use choose firefox. But this highlights my other problem about firefox not working properly. I had to d/l the file through IE b/c firefox kept giving me a bad d/l message.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.