Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Browser problem

Yea, the title is vauge but the story is not.

About two weeks ago our computer got hit by a nasty virus. We still don't know how but that's besides the point. After finally getting into a workable safemode (homemade computer, didn't exactly work like our previous one), I was able to get rid of the darn virus along with a lot of other important files that made the pc useless.

My husband and his IT coworker tried to fix that and messed it up even more. Husband lost alot of his stuff he had saved, before you say anything, the guy harps on me all the time to backup to the external hard drive and the one time he should do it, he didn't.
So, after getting nowhere, they decide to wipe the hard drive clean and start all over.

After I go on and install a few things I use to protect the computer, he tells me they didn't install service pack 3. So I did it for him. One question, Should this have been done before any software was ever put back on the pc?

On to the point of my post, So I install IE8, cause you know I keep getting messages on the websites i visit that their site won't work without it. I also install Mozilla Firefox because I know there are certain websites I can not view with IE.
Since I can not look at the websites in either one, I downloaded all the browsers available. Installed each one and tried to use each one.

The websites I am trying to view are yahoo, facebook, local newspapers, my bank, bills I pay and others. I realize there is an issue with facebbok, but I don't know how to get around it and I don't know why the other websites won't work.

I followed acouple suggestions on this site, going into tools and making sure settings were right. reinstalling IE8 over itself, and the last was to uninstall IE8, adobe and java and reinstall.

Did all those and it still doesn't work.

Can anyone out there help me. I'd much appreciate it.

XP operating system. Since it's a "homemade" computer, that's about all I can tell you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this cleanup tool

In reply to: Browser problem

Collapse -
Tried it

In reply to: try this cleanup tool

Thank you for the information and I did try both links listed on the page and got the same result.

Got the Error message:
Cannot rename ComboFix[1]
Please use another name, preferably made up of alphanumeric characters.

Just to be clear, the hard drive was wiped clean and windows was reinstalled.

New information, my husband is not having these issues on his login. Just me.

Collapse -
Still having problems with IE8

In reply to: Tried it

I have reaet my security settings to those of people I know who can access all the websites I can not.

I have tried using other browsers and they do not work either.

Do I need to go back to a previous version of IE, or any other browser to access websites?

One other problem I am having is when I click a link in an email, such as today for WebMD and the tab immediately pops up with...

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

?Internet connectivity has been lost.
?The website is temporarily unavailable.
?The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
?The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
?There might be a typing error in the address.
?If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

You can not tell me that all the websites I try to access are having the same "problems". So it has to be a browser issue.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Re: browser issues

In reply to: Still having problems with IE8

If you started all over 2 weeks ago, I'd do it again. Maybe by a new clean install, maybe by System Restore back to when it still worked. You can't lose much. And I'm sure that it will work out of the box in both your and your husbands account.
Then be careful with what you install and download and things should stay fine. If not, use system restore to undo the fatal last action.

Kees

Collapse -
Still having problems with IE8

Collapse -
Thanks.

edwardfcn, Thanks for the help. I got this link off another post and tried it and that's why I came back and posted again. I really didn't understand though how to input the following,

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all | find "Servers"
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 123.45.67.89
C:\Windows\system32>

Because I am not sure if there is supposed to be all those spaces in the first line, nor did I know what the character was between all and find. And the next line, is that what should appear after I enter the first line?

The very first time I used the (any) browser, I could not even get Yahoo to load. I have tried Mozilla, Opera, Safari and even went to google (my computer hates google.
So my thought is when they were cleaning and installing new hard drive and placing XP on it, if they happened to do something wrong and that's why something is not right.

I think I am just going to start all over and perhaps if I do it myself it will work.

Thank you all for all your help. I really appreciate it. People come to me when they have a computer problem and I tell them I learned it from all the help I get on this forum.

Collapse -
Re: command

In reply to: Thanks.

Go to the command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
This includes one space.

Find the lines that mentions the DNS-servers yourself. No need to pipe to the find program for that. On my (US) keyboard, by the way the pipe-symbol (that character) is shift-\. Have a look at your keyboard?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for that info.

In reply to: Re: command

I did find that there are 3 DNS servers, but when I did ping and tried to reach them, they were all unreachable. The solution on the page is to merely keep retrying. So I may just do that. Or reformat or just dump the thing and get a new one.

Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
DNS servers

In reply to: Thanks for that info.

Did you try specifying a different DNS server, e.g. OpenDNS or Google DNS server? The timeout when pinging the DNS server might be because:
1. A configuration problem - the addresses that you have listed for servers don't provide DNS service. The OPenDNS & Google servers should work, when specified for use, if this is the problem.
2. Something (e.g. a firewall on your computer) blocking DNS traffic
3. Something (again, e.g. a firewall, but it could also be filterig by your ISP) blocking ping traffic. I can ping the openDNS and Google DNS servers, so if this is the case, then it is specific to your computer or ISP.
4. A more fundamental network problem that blocks all communication. Perhaps try "tracert 192.0.32.10" to try to trace the route to the example.com server; it should display a list of lines with one address per line and some delay measurements. If you only see one line, then the problem might be with your router.

Collapse -
ISSUES WITH WINXP8

In reply to: try this cleanup tool

HOW DO I GO BACK TO WIN XP?

Collapse -
Re: WINXP8

In reply to: ISSUES WITH WINXP8

What is WINXP8?

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!