Desktops forum

General discussion

Browser hijacked; virus hit old PC, need to buy new PC.

by Big Steve / April 6, 2005 12:08 PM PDT

My browser and PC were both hit last week; browser was hijacked; PC was hit by viruses; PC took 15 hits last week; thought my Norton was working; must not have been.

Sent all 15 hits to Norton for analysis; all 15 hits were listed as having adware components. Unable to repair; have been advised by others to buy a new PC; trash the old one since I can't seem to repair the damage.

Would like recommendations on a basic entry level new desktop PC; nothing from Dell since I have issues with their tech support for home office PC's plus all of the negative feedback I've read in other forums about Dell and their company's poor customer service and tech support. I would be using my new PC to do word processing; email; internet and home finance. I'm not into computer games or digital photography.

Would also like to know what new security software I should have installed on any new PC before connecting it to the internet. I want to avoid a repeat of what has just happened to my old PC last week which seemed to be running fine on WIN 95 until these attacks took place last week.

Big Steve
End Of Message
04/06/05

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser hijacked; virus hit old PC, need to buy new PC.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser hijacked; virus hit old PC, need to buy new PC.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE
by nerdyboy1234 / April 6, 2005 12:12 PM PDT

i would get the emachines t6212. cost around $600. good value cuz has pciexpress x16 slot for gfx card upgrade and 512mb ram.

Should install the following from download.com
adaware se personal 1.05
spware doctor
spybot search and destroy
Zone Alarm 5.5
zoneprotect personal firewall 1.0

Collapse -
RE
by nerdyboy1234 / April 6, 2005 12:13 PM PDT

i not sure if the zone ones are free

Collapse -
Browser hijacked; virus hit old PC, need to buy new PC.
by Big Steve / April 6, 2005 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

Nerdyboy:

Thanks for the reply.

Big Steve
End Of Reply
04/07/05

Collapse -
if I were you
by ozos / April 9, 2005 2:50 PM PDT

i'd get a new hard drive
which removes any chance of the Virus being there (how to remove virus from RAM, turn of the PC, the RAM loses anything stored in RAM the second power is not supplied (As it has to refresh every few miliseconds to store data (Which is why Flash DRAM is un-usable for memory storage)

just grab a new IDE hard drive
www.newegg.com

i'd get an 80GB personally
and then install your OS of choice

you'll be fine

Collapse -
Simply
by damasta55r / April 9, 2005 2:54 PM PDT

see the name of the files, and manually delete them. Most of the time, they say that it can't be repaired, so i manually delete.
Roger

Collapse -
Browser hijacked; viruses hit old PC; can't seem to repair;
by Big Steve / April 9, 2005 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Simply

Question:

What if anything do you know about Norton's anti-virus software? I have Norton AV 2004 installed but haven't been able to receive any live updates for quite sometime.

What could possibly be causing me to not be able to receive any of Norton's live updates? I have had no success in contacting Norton for an explanation and my AV subscription is scheduled to expire in nine days.

Big Steve
End Of Reply
04/10/05

Collapse -
uh, here is what i'd do
by ozos / April 10, 2005 12:20 PM PDT

it seems like your system is jsut sorta on the fritz

you have a few options

but what i'd do right off the bat is REFORMAT WITH A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS

do not connect to the internet yet

upon reformatting re-install NAV 2004

goto the store, and buy a copy of MaximumPC that includes a CD with at least Firefox (your doing this to get the CD, you can keep the mag if you want (their usually pretty decent) but Firefox is what you want, along with Spybot S&D)

still do not connect to the web

install Spybot S&D
and Firefox (Firefox is a web broswer, if you don't wanna pay $9 for a MaximumPC, connect to the web after installing NAV 2k4, and then go straight to www.mozilla.org, and DL Firefox, and then get Spybot S&D)

Firefox keeps spwyare and adware out, and automatically blocks pop-ups

it's just such a great web broswer

using IE 6
NPF 2003 on my system would give me pop up block alerts, intrusion stuff, and various other things all the time

with Firefox, i get Firefox telling me it's doing something, and NPF2003 (and PrevX...which is annoying to say the least, invision NPF's intrusion detection, combined with Spybot's registry protection thing, BTW I HAVE SPYBOT AND NPF! so i get 3 alerts at about anything that affects Windows...but hey, it keeps the system clean)

Firefox just makes the web better

Collapse -
has anyone thought of just re-installing Windows?
by spdorsey / April 10, 2005 3:10 PM PDT

It's a lot less expensive.

Collapse -
Agreed
by jcd / April 11, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

Do a clean install; install a firewall and Av and Spybot, Adaware, MS antispy, spywareguard and spywareblaster,CWshredder and Crapcleaner before you go on internet. New Pc WHY?

Collapse -
Browser hijacked; viruses hit old PC; can't seem to repair;
by Big Steve / April 11, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

When you say simply re-install Windows which in my particular case would be Windows 95; do you mean by use of the Windows 95 CD? My brother gave me this computer as a birthday gift 6 years ago come this June 2005 and unfortunately a Windows 95 CD wasn't included with it so that would be a problem; correct?

I've got my eyes on that new Emachine T6212 I think; that might not be the correct model number. Since I know basically nothing about the workings of a computer; if I do decide to buy that Emachine; should I also consider purchasing an extended warranty or not? If so for how many years? Please advise.

Big Steve
End Of Reply
04/11/05

Collapse -
looks good
by steve66 / April 11, 2005 4:18 PM PDT

looks like a super machine at that price.

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6212

as far as the extended warranty...there's no "right" answer. circuit city wants $139 for two years. Without reading all the fine print, I think this means it is two years in addition to the 12-month factory warranty. It's really a "peace of mind" thing, a form of insurance like any other insurance.

I guess it all comes down to how long you will keep, and be happy, with the system. You might be ready to dump it in a year. Or maybe not.

Regardless, it looks terrific. Pick up a nice flat-panel monitor and you're good to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.