General discussion

Browser Hijacked- any ideas how to resolve?!

Hi,

My IE broser was hijacked. Every time I start browser "About:Blank" appears as URL. In a minute or two ad pop ups start to open.
I tried to delete by using 4 or 5 known anti spyware tools- no luck. I also tried to uninstall browser- did not help either. Any big ideas what to do?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Browser Hijacked- any ideas how to resolve?!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Browser Hijacked- any ideas how to resolve?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How to Remove About:Blank Homepage Hijacker
- Collapse -
Thank you note.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome. Glad it helped!
- Collapse -
The virus was not removed completely.

Sorry to bather again, but it looks like the problem was not resolved for good. The Home page is OK now, however after I turned PC back on and connected to the Internet, the same parasite pop up windows with some ad started to appear again. Also right before that the Windows gives me a message that "Your computer might be infected". Waitng for your advice.
Thanks again.

- Collapse -
Check the registry if you can

Check the registry if you can and remove the entry edit find jethomepage and remove this entry.

I usually do a search for about:blank as well but you must be careful what you do in there.

Also in safe mode you should remove the entries ce.exe and sp.html and sp.dll

If you like you can send a hijack this log to jonno112@hotmail.com and i will see what i can do to help you.

The problem with this ******* is if it's not all removed it will come back.

- Collapse -
Thanks for your input jonno112

S/he need HJT log to be seen a HJT analysts in forums that offers HijackThis log analysis.

- Collapse -
The virus was not removed completely.
- Collapse -
Hi kleinermuk

HijackThis is probably the next best step to make sure you get rid of this the rest of the way. I would NOT try to use HijackThis yourself. This link is the same as one of the ones that Donna posted earlier. Read the first 3 posts on it and it will tell you where to get HijackThis, how to make a log and it will also tell you the HJT expert forums that deal with these logs every day. Please be patient with whichever one you choose, they are very busy.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=27234&messageID=306550

- Collapse -
Your system may need a diagnostic tool

Please follow the suggestion of Rod by downloading HijackThis tool and post it in forums that offers HijackThis analysis.

CNET Forums

Forum Info