HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Browser help

by jgibbycan / June 23, 2010 12:42 AM PDT

At this time the Fan Network website does not support Internet Explorer Version 6 but I have internet explorer 8 installed on a vista machine upgraded to windows 7. Any ideas on how to alleviate this issue without having to switch to firefox which allows me access to the website. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fan Network website?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Browser help

Any URL web address for that? I would try it in my IE8 but I can't. I did a Google search for Fan Network website, but the results were confusing.

Does the web site specifically say it accepts IE8 but not IE6?

If you can access the site using Firefox, but not IE8, what error messages do you get? What does their support people say when you ask them about this?

Mark

Collapse -
Fan Website
by jgibbycan / June 23, 2010 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Fan Network website?

This is the link:

http://dci.thefannetwork.org/

At this time the Fan Network does not support Internet Explorer Version 6.
To correct this problem, download the latest version of Internet Explorer or use an alternative browser.

Download Internet Explorer
Download Firefox
Download Safari

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Fan Website

It would be unusual for a site to block IE8 if it doesn't say it is doing so. It may be that the older IE6 is now not compatible with the newer video/audio streams and plugins that are required to view this site, but if they suggest installing IE8 then you have to assume IE8 should work.

In that case, there could be some problem with your IE8. More often than not IE problems are caused by bad add-ons, and in fact I see from the site's Support page that if you are using IE8 with the Yahoo toolbar there may be problems viewing videos, and they suggest disabling that add-on.

However, if you cannot even login then that might point to IE8's increased security settings.

Have you tried Firefox or Safari yet?

That support web page; http://dci.thefannetwork.org/support/?network_id=1

Mark

Collapse -
Browser help
by jgibbycan / June 23, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

I disabled all add ons and still no access.

Also, I have tried firefox and it does work.

Yesterday I had to update some antivirus software and when it directed me to the website(new explorer tab) for the download it told me I had to update to explorer 8 and I did. I then checked the fan website and it worked but not the other explorer tab which was IE8.
This is the dilema.

Thanks again,
John

Collapse -
Ahh now I'm confused.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 4:59 AM PDT

Do you have to update your anti-virus through a web site? Normally AV's use their own updater components to download and install updates without having to use a browser.

Which AV are you using?

"It directed me to the web site, (new explorer tab)". You were using IE8 and the web site directed you to a new web site and opened a new IE8 tab for that new web site? Is that what you are saying?

What was this update you needed for IE8? Do you mean Windows Updates?

"It worked, but not for the other explorer tab which was IE8". Sorry but I don't understand that. Since all Internet Explorer 8 tabs are IE8 I don't see what you mean by the other tab being IE8.

Mark

Collapse -
Ahh now I'm confused
by jgibbycan / June 24, 2010 5:10 AM PDT

Advanced system care with sub program IO bit security 360 updates at the website. I am confused too and ready to give up with IE on my machine.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.