Computer Help forum

General discussion

Browser and Monitor flashes or blinks..Please Help!!!!

by rondasue7 / March 4, 2005 7:43 AM PST

I really want to fix this. My computer just stops responding, then it flashes and the web page goes blank, then it works for awile and then it does it again. It only does it for a second, but it is really aggravating, any help? I have a Windows ME. We just got Road Runner cable hookup which is great alot faster the dial-up. I am using IE 6. and I have a Compaq Pesario Desktop. hope I'm not forgetting anything Please Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Browser and Monitor flashes or blinks..Please Help!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Browser and Monitor flashes or blinks..Please Help!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rondasue, What Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 9:18 AM PST

If it's actually a "monitor" issue....Have you tried simply swapping in a different monitor to see if that's the problem?

If it's a software issue on the computer...Have you scanned the computer for viruses and spyware? Please try using ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below. Download, install, update, then run them:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Grif Thanks
by rondasue7 / March 6, 2005 3:07 AM PST

well so far so good thank you for your advice. there is a program that CWShedder gave a link to for SpySubtract have you heard of it? Also,should I have downloaded it I already did it doesn't seem to bother anything so far whats your imput? Thanks! It wasn't my Monitor.

Collapse -
Rondasue, It's Up To You...But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Grif Thanks

...the SpySubtract program is created by the same company that is currently providing the CWShredder program. (Intermute) That's why you got the suggestion to download and install SpySubtract. I have heard of the program but I don't use it. Still, it should serve you will, if you choose to keep it, and Spysubtract is well thought of.

I currently use the three spyware programs that I listed earlier, plus I'm using the new FREE Microsoft Antispyware BETA program. If you're not experienced with using BETA programs (new, unfinalized, test modes), then you may not want to use that particular one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Concerning SpySubtract
by rondasue7 / March 6, 2005 8:43 PM PST

I uninstalled SpySubtract.The reason was,when I started my computer this morning it slowed my boot up down.I am not going to use it. I have all the rest of the programs you advised and they seem to work fine,without the long boot up time. And once again Thanks!

Collapse -
Check properties
by Willy / March 4, 2005 10:31 AM PST

I've seen this alot lately, especially with Nvida chipsets. I suggest two things to look into: replace power supply with higher wattage unit -OR- get the latest drivers for your video card or output. Since, this is a Compaq system, replacing p/s unit is expensive, so at least unplug one CD drive or device in order to gain more power. You can also, open case in order to help reduce heat build-up plus check *all* fans to see if they operate 100%. Try placing a household fan to blow in in order to increase cooling and see if things settle down. Of course reseat any cables for proper fit. Also, check the video display properties that they reflect the actual card and/or monitor installed.

good luck Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
Willy
by rondasue7 / March 6, 2005 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: Check properties

I have no idea what you are asking me to do but thank you for your imput Happy

Collapse -
Video drivers
by Willy / March 6, 2005 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Willy

If this is a new system and still under warranty then use that service to repair it.

The video drivers is the device specific s/w that loads what video needs in order to fully use its capabilities and/or acknowledge its presence by the system. Goto the Compaq support webpage and see if any new drivers are present to get that reflect what your current video card/port is, check using doing this: goto start->setting->control panel->system->device mgr.->display adapters(what does it say?) now check support webpage for drivers. The above will vary for XP users, get to control panel, then check under h/w device manager. If all this doesn't make sense, then ask a more knowlegable friend to look-see. So far, I've only explained the video portion of my past reply.

enjoy -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hey Willy
by rondasue7 / March 7, 2005 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Video drivers

I would like to ty for all the support. It seems to be working now no more flashing. but thanks so much for the help and if I ever have another ? I hope you can help. And once again thank you so much. Happy

Collapse -
Couple of questions...
by Edward ODaniel / March 7, 2005 12:20 AM PST

How long has it been doing this? (Was it doing it BEFORE getting cable?)

When you were on dial-up was the same "flashing" and "web page goes blank" cycle going on?

Does the same happen when you are not using the browser?

Do your normal "haunts" on the internet include forums where people use a lot of animated graphics as "signatures"? Animated graphics have been known to cause EXACTLY the symptoms you mention. (Is this flashing and blank page cycle going on while you are here on this forum?)

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have installed? (if you don't know go to this link and download Everest, install it, run it and you will be able to answere these types of questions about your hardware such as the previously asked question about Video card -- http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1 )

How large do you have your browser cache set? Too big a cache can also be problematic so try browsing with the cache set at somewhere between 6 and 10 meg.

Also, in addition to the malware checks previously suggested go to this link and try the online scan at the bottom of the page. It will locate malware but will not remove any--the purpose here is that it is arguably the BEST anti-malware application and can find and do what others can't."
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=410
(matter of fact PC World just ran a comparison of spyware checkers you can read here - http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119572,00.asp )

Collapse -
Edward
by rondasue7 / March 7, 2005 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Couple of questions...

It seems to be working fine now must have been a bug or something ty for your help,if I have another ? I hope you can help again. But in the mean time thanks again for the help Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.