Resolved Question

Browser always crashes on Samsung SmartTV

Hi everybody

this May I bought a Samsung UE46ES6880 SmartTV.
I always thought about Samsung as an Premium TV Manufacture. The picture and the sound of the TV is great.
But the browser and the controlling of the browser is unusable. My browser always crashes after 8min of watching youtube videos. I don't think that this is a Flash problem. The strange thing is that it always happen around the same time. After the crash a dialog appears with the following text "Would you like to restore the session". Yes of course. Now the browser shows the default startuppage. Another point is that when I use the Samsung Bluetooth Keyboard to enter the URL, a Softkeyboard is shown on the screen which occupies a lot of space. The soft keyboard should only be shown when no keyboard is used. Common I'm a software developer too and it is not hard to fix those problems. What me also bothers that the testing of Samsung didn't encounter those bugs. I hope Samsung will fix them soon. Best regards

Discussion is locked
swobdo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Browser always crashes on Samsung SmartTV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Browser always crashes on Samsung SmartTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
That's no bug. It's a limitation.
- Collapse -
If this is a limitation, this is not a SmartTV

Sorry for telling that but I disagree. I'm Senior Embedded Software Engineer with more then 13 years of experiences. In the link you gave me there was no limitation of watching short low resolution videos with Flash.
BTW I know the kind of microprocessors very well and I know what they are capable of.
A crashing browser is definitely not a limitation. It is an exception which was not catched. Also the dialog for restoring the browser session is not working. I never expected a PC performance of my TV but this are simple tasks to solve. Where was the useability engineer and where was the test engineer of Samsung when they developed this product?

- Collapse -
I'm an embedded designer too.

And with that out of the way, you are seeing that consumers want the PC browser experience. As it stands not going to happen soon. Look at Hulu.com. They actively look for it being an non-PC and drop the connection. There's a lot more going on here than I can write in this small box.

Good luck in your attempts to have the Smart TV makers deliver.
Bob

CNET Forums