HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

browser ?

by rickborg / April 17, 2011 2:16 AM PDT

can anyone explain why ff, ie, etc no longer allow java/cript to work nor mime files. I'm told to configure for mime but an engineer I'm not. Sites needing java now don't run like my bank. I'd rather not pay Sun to ask I've tried all their fixes nothing even toolbars in ff4 don't work some bad upgrade

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: browser ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: browser ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If I recall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: browser ?

Javascript may be turned off. You are right folk are not engineers but we must learn where these controls are.

The reason such things like this happen is that the media awards browsers for SAFETY. So if turning it off is safer, it may arrive like that.

And why not another browser if this one is too hard to configure?
Bob

PS. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/JavaScript

Collapse -
firefox 3616
by rickborg / April 18, 2011 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: If I recall.

I'd be glad to use a browser that works but ie 8, ff 3616, 4 don't also tried seamonkey & chrome. would go back to older version of ff but don't see how to get past versions.

according to quick java javascript is enabled but not java. tried the Sun fixes but no joy. as far as I can tell java is being ignored in versions after 3616. my bank says I must configure mime yet my level of knowledge is lacking in how none ofthe browsers allow mime not ie8, ff, seamonkey, chrome

Collapse -
Answer
Note: Due to the depth of this Q&A discussion thread, no add
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

Note: Due to the depth of this Q&A discussion thread, no
additional replies can be accepted for this post. If you have an answer
to offer or need clarification of the original question, please reply
to the original post at the beginning of this thread.

I see you fell for that QUESTION option during post which makes a discussion harder.

--> JAVA is an addon. JAVASCRIPT is inside the browser.

I know folk that mix up the two and enabling javascript does nothing for those that need JAVA.

As to MIME, I'd have to read more.
Bob

PS. RECAP!
Javascript? Turn it on in the browser and check your antivirus/noscript settings.
Java? Install that!

Collapse -
browser
by rickborg / April 18, 2011 4:35 AM PDT
my browser shows javascript enabled but not java I tried various things from Sun site none worked so unable to in stall java or configure for mime
Collapse -
Why do you need Java?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 5:02 AM PDT

I have been using browsers for many years now, and I cannot recall any time I needed Java.

Javascript is used all the time in web pages, but as Bob says, Java is not Javascript. They are completely different things.

Give us an example of where this fails for you.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
You're very unclear.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 18, 2011 5:15 AM PDT

Let's see your first post.
- There is no common Javascript implementation between IE and FF. So if they both fail that has different reasons.
- How do you know Javascript doesn't work? Can you give an example of a page where it should work and doesn't with you? What should happen, and what happens with you?
- What are mime files and how should they 'work'?
- Who tells you to 'configure for mime' and what exactly do they tell you?
- I know of no bank that needs Java. It would be a too big barrier to their customers. Can you give a link to the page that needs it?
- Toolbars in FF4 don't work. That's unrelated anyway. Why not uninstall FF4 and reinstall 3.5 from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html (easy to find with google, just search for DOWNLOAD FIREFOX 3.6
- What Sun fixes did you try?
- What Java versions are installed (check in Control Panel). What happens if you uninstall all and then install Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/help/download_options.xml

Kees

Collapse -
browser
by rickborg / April 19, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: You're very unclear.

Let's see your first post. - There is no common Javascript implementation between IE and FF. So if they both fail that has different reasons.-
How do you know Javascript doesn't work? Can you give an example of a
page where it should work and doesn't with you? What should happen, and
what happens with you?
answer

when I go to cnet video sites it will say javascript & flash needed I install flash but nothing. the most important site is my bank here are msgs

To resolve the 'File/MIME
Type' issue, please refer to the on-line help on your browser to setup the File/MIME
type.

Note:
If the "File Download" screen does not appear and your transactions
are displayed on your browser, this means that your browser is not setup to
understand the 'File/MIME Type' of the file you are trying to download. To
resolve this issue, follow the steps provided in the links below for the type
of browser you are using.

Internet
Explorer

- What are mime files and how should they 'work'?- Who tells you to 'configure for mime' and what exactly do they tell you? -
I know of no bank that needs Java. It would be a too big barrier to
their customers. Can you give a link to the page that needs it?
answer

see above my bank needs java and cookies Ii think going to ff 3616 did something as all was ok before

- Toolbars in FF4 don't work. That's unrelated anyway. Why not uninstall FF4 and reinstall 3.5 from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html (easy to find with google, just search for DOWNLOAD FIREFOX 3.6- What Sun fixes did you try?- What Java versions are installed (check in Control Panel). What happens if you uninstall all and then install Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/help/download_options.xmlKees

according to plug in quickjava jscript is on java no control panel says no java went to Sun site but ff refused to aallow install

Collapse -
Reply to "Browser"
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 6:34 AM PDT

- You install flash and nothing.
That's a pity. Both in IE and in Firefox? But what does "nothing" mean?

- The File/MIME Type issue'
What issue? Never heard of it, sorry.

- Follow the steps in the links below for the type of browser you are using.
So you did and what happened?

- My bank needs Java and cookies, I think.
Why do you think so?

- According to plugin quickjava.
What is quickjava plugin?

- FF refused to allow install.
That's pity also. How about IE?

Seems like you need a clean reinstall of your OS to solve your troubles.

Kees

Collapse -
browser
by rickborg / April 20, 2011 3:52 AM PDT

- You install flash and nothing.That's a pity. Both in IE and in Firefox?
answer
yes

But what does "nothing" mean?-
answer
means it gives same msg when I again return to the site as if no flash was installed

The File/MIME Type issue'What issue? Never heard of it, sorry
answer
can't download transactions as they are mime fills

.- Follow the steps in the links below for the type of browser you are using.So you did and what happened?-

My bank needs Java and cookies, I think.Why do you think so?
answer
I go to browser options and there is no way to add mime types
my bank states java & cookiesneeded

- According to plugin quickjava.What is quickjava plugin?- FF refused to allow install.That's pity also. How about IE?
answer
quickjava is plugin that lets you turn on off java componets

Collapse -
Re: your answer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 20, 2011 6:24 AM PDT

So "nothing" means an error message. That's not nothing. That's important information. Can you tell what error message exactly (exactly means: the full error message without typo's, so we can google it).

File type: what filetype does your browser want to download but can't show)? And, indeed, I shouldn't know how to tell my browser (any browser) about file types it must understand. As you don't link to the instructions given by your bank, that's the end of the story.

And sorry to read that you can't install Java.

As I said, it might be better to reinstall your OS. Out of the box it should work like it always did.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
browser
by rickborg / April 21, 2011 12:28 AM PDT

So
"nothing" means an error message. That's not nothing. That's important
information. Can you tell what error message exactly (exactly means: the
full error message without typo's, so we can google it).
answer
Am sorry it was not an error msg per se it went thru install but did not install as going back to site asks you to again install and says you need javascript. flash via adobe is installed

File
type: what filetype does your browser want to download but can't show)?
And, indeed, I shouldn't know how to tell my browser (any browser) about
file types it must understand. As you don't link to the instructions
given by your bank, that's the end of the story.And sorry to read that you can't install Java.As I said, it might be better to reinstall your OS. Out of the box it should work like it always did. Kees
answer
file type is a mime in orfer to link you need to log on. Bank tells me, see my post, I need to configue my browser for mime no idea how. As to os hp only has recovery partition

Collapse -
Re: installing flash
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: browser

Should work if you follow http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/support/index.html
Essential: first uninstall!

Still not clear what the site says. If the message should have been "You either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player." then http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/186/7d1862a.html might be helpful. But you say it is "you need javascript. flash via adobe is installed" and that's clearly not the same.

You said the bank tells you "To resolve this issue, follow the steps provided in the links below for the type of browser you are using." It seems you didn't. You're the only one who possibly can, so why don't you?

The recovery partition, by the way, is a very good way to throw everything away and start all over with a clean well-working system.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.