Peripherals forum

General discussion

Brother MFC 9700 can't scan

I have a Brother laser multifunction on a USB port, with the scanning software by Scansoft Paperport. This software will not scan because it will not install properly despite the best efforts of 2 computer people, and uninstalling and installing about 20 times using various methods. I have XP Pro, Service Pack 1. Brother support has been useless and Scansoft support non-existent, other than acknowledging on their website that they can't get Paperport to work with XP Service Pack 2. I get two install error messages. "The class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device" and "A service installation section in the INF is invalid". Does anybody have any ideas (besides throwing the Brother MFC in the garbage)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brother MFC 9700 can't scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brother MFC 9700 can't scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Return the unit as defective.

In reply to: Brother MFC 9700 can't scan

I always do that when a new device fails.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem MFC 8420 will not scan

In reply to: Brother MFC 9700 can't scan

I am trying today for the 1st time to install a Brother MFC 8420 on an XP Home system. I used the install disk which came with the mult-function device, and also tried XP drivers. I get the same error msg: "The class installer has denied the request to install . . . "

If you happen to find a solution, please let me know. THanks. Dave DMFile13@cs.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!