Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Brother Fax machine

by luckylady_63 / September 14, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

A friend of mine just gave me a Brother fax copier machine. I have Windows XP Pro installed and Microsoft Office 2003 Teacher and Student edition. Do you think that I can get this fax machine to work? If so what do I have to do? In Windows XP, there isn't any fax machine info that I can see and I don't have the original disk either. This fax machine is 10 years old and is still working, but how do I get it to work? Is this at all possible. I don't want to waste my time trying to get it to work if it will not.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brother Fax machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brother Fax machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Brother Fax machine
by retired / September 14, 2004 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Brother Fax machine

My personal opinion would be to advise against trying to use it, I have a friend that bought a new all in one Brother (5 functions)and he is still trying to get it to work properly..

Collapse -
by wanness / September 14, 2004 6:17 AM PDT

LuckyLady; I am running WinXP Pro, my Printer, fax, copier, scanner, and pc fax is a Brother MFC 4550. I do have the disks, but I beleive that you can go to the Brother website, and download the proper drivers. You failed to mention the model, as many of the older models have been discontinued, or are no longer supported. Good luck

Collapse -
by jhall49 / September 14, 2004 1:44 PM PDT

Well I work for a company that repairs Brother Faxes and multi function units. These are cheap machines and hard to repair and even harder to set up correctly. If your machine is even a couple of years old I would tell you to not even bother trying to set it up to work with Win XP! Most likely you will never make it work. I can't even make one that is only two years old work correctly, and as I said, I work in the industry.
Good luck!
Jon

Collapse -
To: jhall49 Re: Brother Fax machine
by luckylady_63 / September 15, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

Thanks so much for your input and I am sure you are right about this. I know Brother is a pretty cheap product. I guess I will give up on it.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 14, 2004 2:05 PM PDT

The fax machine is 10 years old ? Are you sure it is 'computer compatible' ? If so, that machine would have been made for Windows 95 or earlier,and I don't think it is likely. Perhaps it is just an ordinary fax/copier machine ? Can you share more on the model ? What do you hope to do with the fax machine in conjunction with the computer ?

Collapse -
To: Papa Echo Re: Brother Fax machine
by luckylady_63 / September 15, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

The model is Brother Intellifax 2500 ML and it was mfg. in 1994. The reason I wanted to use it, is because I cannot send faxes through the computer. I have Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Office 2003. Under Control Panel and windows components, I see fax and 3.8 mb, but when I click on it and try to update it, it asks for the Windows XP disk, which I do not have. I don't understand why it has how much space it will take up, but it can't be downloaded. I guess I cannot do anything about this. Any comments? I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
No XP CD? No restore CD? You won't have XP long.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

Here's why. Eventually a pest will do something that requires the XP CD. Or the hard disk will fail. Hard disks are built to last about 5 years. Some fail early.

With Windows XP being about 200 or 300 hundred dollars, its a bad idea to go without your CDs since... It will cost you hundreds of dollars if you don't get that fixed while you still can for much cheaper.

http://cma.zdnet.com/texis/forums/allposts.html?p=luckylady_63 doesn't reveal how you landed in such an unfavorable position.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: No XP CD? No restore CD? You won't have XP long.
by luckylady_63 / September 16, 2004 1:53 AM PDT

Thanks Bob, The reason I don't have the CD for XP is that I had to get this computer fixed in June of 2003 and the computer man asked me if I would like to update to Windows XP from Windows 98SE and I said yes. He did not give me the cd or restore disks. He did not charge me for this service either. Big mistake? I have the Windows SE cd however because when I bought this computer about 4 years ago, the cd came with the computer. The work I had done last year was an upgrade to the system I had. I have 98 SE on the C drive and XP on the F drive. What should I do now? How can I get a set of restore disks for XP? I really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Re: No XP CD? No restore CD? You won't have XP long.
by Larry Warner / September 17, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

I would like to know also what to do. In moving, mine
got lost.

Collapse -
Re: To: Papa Echo Re: Brother Fax machine
by Papa Echo / September 15, 2004 12:47 PM PDT

Sorry, but I am confused. If you have problems making that Fax machine to work, why are you mixing it up with your computer ? So, you have two problems ?

? You cannot send faxes with your computer, and
? You cannot make your Fax machine to work.

These two problems are not related, or are they ? Are you somehow sending faxes by connecting the Fax machine to your computer ? In that contemplated eventuality, you require the Fax machine drivers for XP, and I doubt there any !

Collapse -
by luckylady_63 / September 16, 2004 1:47 AM PDT

I am not even trying to hook up the fax machine to the computer, I just simply plugged it in and hooked it up to the phone line and it didn't work properly, so I am just going to forget about it. If I can't send faxes through the computer, then why is there a program under Windows XP components that I could activate if I had the XP cd? Would I be able to send a fax to anyone if I had this? How does one send faxes if they don't have a fax machine? Now I am confused. Help!!!!

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / September 16, 2004 10:00 AM PDT

OK- now I understand. Check your phone line connections. Are you connecting the Fax machine via the computer/modem or separately (i.e. unplug the phone line from the modem and connect directly to the Fax machine.) Now-don't be offended- but did you connect power to the Fax machine ?

As for the fax item at "Windows Components", that is the Fax program which comes with XP, but you have to install it, and you need the XP CD for that. There are third party fax programs as well, e.g. Win Fax from Symantec, which I use. The Fax programs have to be properly configured for sending and receiving faxes. Faxes can be sent to Fax machines and computers with a fax program. The modem should also support Fax, e.g. a Voice/Data modem.

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 15, 2004 8:10 PM PDT

You say you don't have the XP CD. Do you have a restore CD set? All new computers should come with either a restore/recovery CD set or the individual CDs for the operating system, drivers, factory installed software and the product key numbers. If you don't have these, you need to contact you computer manufacturer and request a duplicate set. Without those disks, not being able to install the built fax program with Windows XP will be the least of your problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?