PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Broken Pin on HD

thanks for reading.
one of my hard drives which holds crucial information , a pin broke and now it doesnt function
i wanted to know if i buy the exact same hard drive and replace the "motherbaord" part will the old drive accept it and become functional.
Below is a url of a video i made so you can see exactly what i'm talking about..the part in my hand is what i am referring to and thinking of replacing. Keep in mind, the cable plugs easily in and off that board so that wont be a problem.
video: ftp://hd:help@69.86.68.67:10605/hd_helpme.wmv

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broken Pin on HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broken Pin on HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Broken Pin on HD

In reply to: Broken Pin on HD

what "pin" are we talking about - no i haven't looked at your video!!.
is it a power supply pin - a ribbon cable pin or master/slave pin???

Collapse -

You won't know till you try. I couldn't see the break or broken pin so I can't tell much from the video. Next time a simple "picture" will do more.

You may learn from this that backup is cheaper than recovery...

Bob

Collapse -

Maybe it will work, maybe not. When you do the transplant and restore power to the unit, the LED may start flashing. If so, leave the unit powered on and go out for a long lunch, if you're lucky the electronics is setting itself up for the new HDA (Head Disk Assembly), and will eventually come ready. If not, when you reassemble the "new" disk you may find that it doesn't work either, and now you're out the cost of the new disk as well.

Collapse -
Repair

I'll bet it's a power supply pin and still inside the power connector. CAREFULLY get it out and have a guru solder it back onto the "motor board" of the Hdd. I've had to do this a few times.
You might be able to order a replacement board from the mfg? Otherwise, you have to get the EXACT same hdd, all numbers matching, or you'll screw up your data on a swap job by trying to access the old Hdd, as the motor board parameters are different.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.