Computer Help forum

Question

Broken laptop "s" key elecuricuting me

by RarwMuffinz / July 4, 2014 9:05 AM PDT

Hello Cnet.
recently when using my "S" key in which the plastic button is broken for the metal part of the key has been electrocuting me. It is not static because this happens repeatedly even after the initial shock. This tends to happen after plugging in my laptop. Does anyone know whats up or how to fix it?

I have an acer aspire 5750. Please help I cant feel my middle finger anymore.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broken laptop "s" key elecuricuting me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broken laptop "s" key elecuricuting me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Can you tell why it's not repaired?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2014 9:47 AM PDT

Keyboards run from 19 to about 200 depending on many factors. It's a common part to replace so is there some story as to why this laptop is in a state of disrepair?
Bob

Collapse -
re Clarification request
by RarwMuffinz / July 4, 2014 10:04 AM PDT

Oh I was trying to get a crumb out from under the s key when it popped off. But that was 2 years ago. The key seems to only electrocute me when i'm running certain programs. It worked fine until just recently.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A couple things
by Jimmy Greystone / July 4, 2014 10:11 AM PDT

A couple things. First, it's a nitpick, but you're getting shocked, not electrocuted. If you were being electrocuted, you'd be dead. Shocks hurt, electrocution kills.

That aside, you have some kind of a grounding problem with the laptop, so you have basically three choices. The first is to just keep getting shocked, the second is to take it somewhere to get fixed, the third is to replace the entire laptop because if it's an Acer and it's over 2 years old it's a small wonder it still works at all. Since the unit is out of warranty, when you see the bill for repairing it, you may well decide that either a numb middle finger is a small price to pay or you could buy a new laptop for only a little bit more than it costs to fix that one and the new one would have significantly better specs all around.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!