Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Broken head phones mystery

by ceejay43 / September 6, 2008 8:34 AM PDT

Since getting my iPod nano less than a year ago I've gotten 5 different wired head phone makes (Sony, Philips, Head Candi, JVC and Koss) to break down, in-ear phones as well as neck band head phones. Same problem with them all; it appears like one of the ear pieces goes silent (or much softer than the other one) while the other one seems to be working pretty much as normal, and when you stretch the wire in a certain position some of the sound seems to return but with interference - a bit like when you try to adjust an external antenna for an old radio.

There are no visible external damages on the wires. Is this all a coincidence that it's been happening to this many brand new head phones or should I blame the iPod for this? Of course I've tested other input sources and other people's ears. I haven't tried the ear pieces that came with the iPod though...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broken head phones mystery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broken head phones mystery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how do you store your head phones?
by ktreb / September 7, 2008 12:01 PM PDT

Do you keep them plugged in and then wrap them around the iPod? If so, that could be your culprit.

Collapse -
Headphone problem -- faulty iPod ?
by fihart / September 10, 2008 12:13 AM PDT

You don't mention whther you tried the headphones on any other device after they seemed to become faulty. Perhaps the iPod has a faulty socket.

Collapse -
Still broken
by ceejay43 / September 10, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

That was one of the things I suspected at first so I tried the headphones on my laptop and, believe it or not, the headphones would still behave in the same way. So what I'm starting to think now is that the iPod is faulty in that it permanently _breaks_ the headphones...

Collapse -
Leave them plugged in
by ceejay43 / September 10, 2008 6:44 AM PDT

Who doesn't? The ironic thing is that I had an mp3-player from Creative on which I kept the headphones plugged in every day for 2 years until the socket got worn out (and that socket seemed to have damaged the headphones I was using then but after such a long time of daily use it'd be more understandable).

Collapse -
Broken head phones mystery
by DennisMcCK / September 11, 2008 3:27 PM PDT

I've had the same problem with several different earbuds and several different iPod Shuffles. I've heard that it's happened to lots of other people, too. Usually it's the right side that goes quiet.

Dennis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.