Alert

Broken Flash Drive Help

I dropped it and now there is no LED indicator light lighting up. And it will not show up in My Computer.
I managed to strip it down to this.
http://i.imgur.com/p145A.jpg
So the first thing I notice is that this chip is loose.
http://i.imgur.com/CyP4C.jpg
And on the underside, it has 4 metal contacts, so we know that it goes there in that missing spot.
http://i.imgur.com/FG87J.jpg
However, it could orient either way, and I've tried holding it there myself and plugging it in, but to no avail. Sad
So, now I'm stuck here. I really need to recover this.Thanks.<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Broken Flash Drive Help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Broken Flash Drive Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: broken flash drive

It's a pity you tried yourself. A specialized data recovery company would have done better, and it might be more expensive now than it would have been if you hadn't started yourself.

Anyway, a USB-stick should - exactly like a floppy 15 years ago - be considered as a good means to move data between computers. Not as permanent storage, and certainly not as a good place to store the only copy of some data. So - for everybody following that simple rule - no data is ever lost by a failed drive and there's no need at all for any expensive recovery.
Let's hope you fall in that category.

Kees

- Collapse -
ID pin #1

Minor detective work , I would see what defacing the solder pads look like and match them. Use a magnifying glass and notice the solder pattern, because they would fit. However, how you solder it back is another issue. The proper tech way is find PIN 1 of solder area, it may have the #1 to ID it and the chip has a #1 or indent, dot, hollow or/on chip form, then match and resolder. Because, this is SMC stuff, it can be hard to do w/o proper tools, so you're left at the mercy of your skills.

- Collapse -
Subject

Well this is very small, and there's not really "pins". Its more like small flat squares that are metal. I probably wont be able to solder this. Because Im terrible at soldering.

- Collapse -
Last idea

If you have access to forceps or small vise grip pliers, and knowing ordination of chip, try this as last resort. Using maybe small wood/leather pads in order to NOT smash chip, apply to flash drive and clip on the pliers using just necessary force to keep it from moving. Use a USB cable too extend the flash drive away from the port and allow ease of access. The constant contact may allow access to data if that's all it is, chip off pcb.

CNET Forums