Computer Help forum

General discussion

BROKEN ETHERNET LINK?

by Master James / April 12, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

Greetings!!
*respectful bow*
I have this computer that was gifted to me for free *sigh*; the guy who gave it to me built it (literally) about 5-6 years ago. These are the specs as far as I can tell:

Windows XP OS (32 or 64 bit, I have no idea)

ASUS A7A 266 motherboard

ANTHALON? CPU (pls forgive my spelling errors)
This CPU runs at about 1400MHZ (or so the computer tells me).

There's a floppy disk drive (3.5"/144mb)

It has a hard drive that holds about 40G of info (32G of which are left out of the original 40)

I added a dvd rw drive, & a cd rw drive (came from my old computer that gave up the ghost)

It has a sound card, video card, and a couple other things in there that I have no idea what they're for/do.

I upped the RAM from 512 to 1G

there is also 3 or 4 other sockets for a different kind of RAM (or so I was told that's what it's for-also told not to mix the 2 different kinds,it may mess up the CPU permanantly)

Anywho, that's what I know about my computer system.

MY question is, when the Ethernet connection fails (can't get ANYTHING on the internet), but yet the USB connection still works, would that mean that the card that the ethernet plugs into has gone south?

I checked the exterior modem (I have verizon DSL), I checked the wire, tried 2 new wires, did everything that the "help & support" program suggested I do; the modem(Actiontec Gateway) is fine near as I can tell, so are the wires.
I even tried a new phone line, nothing. AS soon as I plugged in the USB cord, the computer picked it up immediatly.

As of this writing, it's the USB Cord that connects me to the internet, not the ethernet cord. Help me out PLS.

Thank you Sir/Mademoiselle for your time & patience.
*respectful bow*

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BROKEN ETHERNET LINK?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BROKEN ETHERNET LINK?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ethernet Cards Are Easy To Replace..And Cheap..If...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: BROKEN ETHERNET LINK?

...the computer is a desktop computer. (I don't see that you mentioned laptop or desktop.) Ethernet cards occasionally go bad and thankfully, you can purchase a new one for less than $20.. Open the case and check for a PCI slot and see if the current ethernet port is being used by a removable ethernet card.. If so, you'll simply uninstall the old card and reinstall the new.

If the computer is a laptop and the ethernet port is included in the motherboard, then there are other options such as an ethernet PCMCIA card, or simply using the USB connection.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
THANK YOU
by Master James / April 12, 2008 1:45 PM PDT

*respectful bow*

I'm sorry I didn't mention it,but yes, it is a desktop...and thank you for your time & patience.

*respectful bow*

Collapse -
Default Connection?
by sunwatcher / April 12, 2008 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: BROKEN ETHERNET LINK?

On some modems, whichever port you attach first (USB or ethernet) becomes the default connection and will disable the other one. You may be able to go into your configuration settings on the modem and enable the ethernet port.

I would try first to reboot the modem with the USB and ethernet unattached, then once it is done rebooting attach the ethernet cable. That might make it the default connection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.