Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"BrokeBack Mountain" star found dead.

by James Denison / January 22, 2008 8:42 AM PST

See news. Heath Ledger, known in better days for the movie "A Knight's Tale" and a son's part in "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson. He leaves behind a wife and 2 year old daughter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "BrokeBack Mountain" star found dead.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "BrokeBack Mountain" star found dead.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I read his brief CV on AP.
by drpruner / January 22, 2008 2:31 PM PST

He took chances- my kind of actor. He's said to have lost sleep over the last couple of roles; immersion, I guess. I'd like to believe it wasn't another suicide or Britney, and it seems it wasn't. Possible 'job-related', though.

Collapse -
I also wondered about that.
by James Denison / January 22, 2008 4:13 PM PST

Until I heard of his death I didn't realized he'd been one of the actors in Brokeback Mountain. I was disappointed to hear of it, and also learn he'd done another such role earlier in his career. We've enjoyed his movie "A Knight's Tale" several times, I think we probably have it on DVD. I heard in one news report he may have had pneumonia? It's possible he wasn't a suicide, but an unfortunate mistake by combination of sickness and the pills. I know when I had pneumonia (twice in the last 8 years) I would sleep propped up on the couch and wishing I could get some real sleep lying down, but unable to breathe well enough. Poor little girl will grow up without her daddy now.

Collapse -
Yes, he could have been run down.
by drpruner / January 22, 2008 6:20 PM PST

The sleeping pill he was taking is not without its risks.

Collapse -
Now they say there were other drugs found in
by drpruner / January 24, 2008 9:14 AM PST

the apt., not necessarily in his system at the time. As I said, job-related- like finding black lung in a miner. Sad

Collapse -
were they his drugs?
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 10:39 AM PST

And who's apartment was it? Have they actually said other than the first time claiming it belonged to an Olsen twin?

Collapse -
I heard just the opposite
by Patricia89 / January 24, 2008 10:51 AM PST

none found, two prescriptions for anxiety and stress and sleeping pills

Collapse -
It was Ambien
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 11:52 AM PST

I had to take my mother off that to get her mind back at one point. My father this year had to go off it due to sleep walking and waking up the next day sure someone had been in his house, but it was him doing things he didn't remember the next morning. That Ambien is dangerous. It's possible he woke up and got involved in repititous actions of taking too many pills. I guess a test on the dissolution of each pill would show if they were all done at one time or taken during a time sequence.

Collapse -
Ambien, the danger.
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: It was Ambien
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ambien+problems+dangerous&btnG=Search

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23097079-5001021,00.html
THE sleeping pills Heath Ledger was reportedly taking have been embroiled in controversy in Australia, where hundreds have had bizarre and potentially dangerous reactions to the drug.

Called Ambien in the US, the tablet is marketed as Stilnox Down Under and hit headlines last year when a national drug hotline fielded calls from users reporting strange side-effects.

Some 500 people described odd behaviours from walking, crashing cars, having sex and falling from balconies after popping a pill. (more at link)
Collapse -
different people have different side effects
by Patricia89 / January 24, 2008 12:48 PM PST
In reply to: Ambien, the danger.

I have never had a problem with Ambien, My father also took it with no problem
Pat

Collapse -
I flushed it.
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 2:56 PM PST

After my mother had died there was a lot of it left over. I don't know how long she'd been taking it before she started getting the bad reaction, it seems to build up or the reaction might take a while to form. Besides it probably being illegal to give to anyone else, I could never in good conscience even let anyone use it, nor would I. I was going to toss in garbage but then decided safer to flush it.

ET didn't mention that drug tonight, but instead mentioned Lunesta. Seems someone saw him asleep and snoring earlier and then a couple hours later is when they found him dead. I doubt it was suicide.

Collapse -
You were right about the law, in US.
by drpruner / January 24, 2008 3:54 PM PST
In reply to: I flushed it.

You can't give a prescription drug to someone not on the label. And I have to tell you that flushing isn't recommended in future: The pills dissolve in the sewer and the drugs have been detected downstream- sometimes surprisingly far so.
I'm not complaining or judging what you did out of ignorance. I used to think flushing was OK, too. I guess they go in the landfill, or perhaps the drug companies have a disposal system.

Collapse -
I have a septic tank
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 10:13 PM PST

And I'm 10 miles from the bay, but still have to pay a Chesapeake bay pollution tax in Maryland for NOT polluting the water.

Collapse -
hope the trees don't start sleep-walking
by WOODS-HICK / January 24, 2008 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: I have a septic tank

septic tank here also. we do the same as you. my well is almost 400' deep and health laws require minimum distance between the two, including neighboring properties.

all other toxins go to the 'haz-waste drop-off collection site' which is free? (taxes). I wish I had a separate field for 'graywater' but the terrain (solid rock) makes it cost prohibitive at this time.

Collapse -
with 3 daughters, I wish...
by James Denison / January 25, 2008 12:06 AM PST

...I had a gray water collection tank too. Just that would be enough to keep my yard watered in summer. Of course best to put up a sign saying it's "gray water" being used, both for community health and if there's a ban on sprinkling they can't fine you.

Collapse -
Good. I'm not Tom Cruise, so I say stay
by drpruner / January 24, 2008 3:50 PM PST

with it, if it helps. You should know, though, that the drug companies have a weak record of reporting negative results. Therefore, if sleepwalking and other things are in the commercials, ...

Collapse -
I was sleep-eating on Ambien.
by Cindi Haynes / January 25, 2008 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Ambien, the danger.

Get up, cook an entire meal from scratch, eat, clean up, and go back to bed. No memory of it the next day. Wondered why I was gaining weight!

Cindi

Collapse -
Dad too
by James Denison / January 25, 2008 5:11 AM PST

He's on a controlled diet, but he'd eat in a trance or something during the night and not remember it. He SWORE one day that someone MUST have come into the house and ate a whole package of breakfast sausage which wrapper was left in the microwave. He was getting mad that someone with a key was eating up his food, lol. It was him. I was there for a couple weeks this summer and he would swear he'd not gotten up, even though once he'd asked me if I wanted some about 3am in the morning. He still believes someone else was doing it. I had my step sister talk to his doctor and got him changed over to something else which seems to not cause the same problem.

Collapse -
Yep, the first report said [only] Ambien,
by drpruner / January 24, 2008 3:47 PM PST
In reply to: It was Ambien

which is bad enough, as you say. I make fun of the drug commercial "warnings" ('In case of sudden death, call your lawyer'), but I couldn't believe the sleepwalking warning on Ambien. Who on earth would take such a thing! (Mr. Pruner, meet Mr. Ledger). Other drugs and situations can lead to the repetition you mention. So I still vote for 'black lung'.

Collapse -
my current favorite warning
by WOODS-HICK / January 25, 2008 8:34 AM PST

cautions, amongst others, that it might cause someone to gamble. does anyone know why??? the name escapes me at the moment. it is on often. after awhile I don't remember which is which. don't need 'em, don't want 'em, don't take 'em. most are not required for staying alive. more a quality of life issue.

Collapse -
It warns against 'sudden desire to gamble
by drpruner / January 25, 2008 10:21 AM PST

or have sex'. (Not making this up.) The shrinks call that "promiscuous behavior" but not in the moral sense. Binges of sex, gambling, buying ... anything. Things even an atheist would try to stop.

I don't remember the product, either, but the cure can't be worth side effects like that.

Collapse -
(NT) Alcohol?
by JP Bill / January 27, 2008 4:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Don't mind if I do ....
by drpruner / January 27, 2008 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Alcohol?

Oh, you were asking about the problem! Happy

If you mean that drinking can increase, I guess it would as a collateral problem, at least.

Heard an AmbienCR commercial tonight, and I didn't hear about sex/gambling; that must be something else. I hope the mfr. wasn't planning to start celebrity endorsements ...

Collapse -
sorry
by CEO Space World / January 24, 2008 9:07 AM PST

I was sad to hear about it. He was so young and left a child behind.

Maybe celebrity isn't all it is cracked up to be and he couldn't take it.

or it was just an unfortunate accident.

Collapse -
....?Heath Ledger is now in Hell, and ...".......
by WOODS-HICK / January 24, 2008 7:56 PM PST

....?Heath Ledger is now in Hell, and has begun serving his eternal sentence there,? the Westboro Baptist announcement says."....

... "A radical Baptist church in Kansas known for picketing the funerals of soldiers who perished in Iraq said it intends to protest Heath Ledger's memorial service with signs claiming the actor died and is in Hell because he played a gay character in ?Brokeback Mountain.?...

...."The Southern Poverty Law Center classifies the church as a hate group and the organization is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League, according to its Wikipedia entry."......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324966,00.html

you won't need your morning 'java jolt' if you visit their website compliments of the link.

now these folks might need some of those pills. extra helping?

Collapse -
clip at a bash site
by James Denison / January 24, 2008 9:23 PM PST
http://howieluvzus.com/2008/01/24/fox-news-mocking-heath-ledger-destroying-families/

there's a plethora of these hate/satire type sites, such as landoverbaptist. This one has a clip of some news commentator talking about Heath.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/heath-ledger-death
This site seems to be forming an encyclopedia of the whole matter.

Oh, it seems Mary Kate Olsen WAS called first and she was probably thinking he overdosed and wanted to keep it out of the news and from becoming a legal matter, which delayed an ambulance arriving. However it seems he was probably dead for a while prior and such delay didn't have any effect on the outcome.

I still don't know if this is Ms. Olsen's apartment or not, or if she and he were just "close friends".

Ambien was found. ET said he took Lunesta. I guess toxicology will be what tells the truth of it. He's already at a funeral home, so don't know how much investigation of that will actually occur.

At least his little girl should be taken well care of from his estate.
Collapse -
you hate to see them
by WOODS-HICK / January 24, 2008 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: clip at a bash site

but I believe they have to have full exposure. if folks do not know what I consider a disease; how does one stop an infection. part of the dark-side of a 'free country'.

I went to that kansas site back when they first started disrupting 'the fallen' funeral services. 'rolling thunder' overpowered their message and continues to do so. 'rolling thunder' and their actions should be the story not the misguided. it seems that kansas church misunderstands "love one another": scary.

Collapse -
(NT) ... or one could choose not to visit.
by drpruner / January 25, 2008 7:58 AM PST
Collapse -
free will
by WOODS-HICK / January 25, 2008 8:23 AM PST

the reason I left it up to the reader to type the link. today I did not visit the site because of my previous search as stated plus info provided by foxnews. it was one of their 'leads' this morning.

Collapse -
I didn't post it to judge.
by drpruner / January 25, 2008 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: free will

(BTW, did I remember to tell you you're gonna burn?) Happy

I wouldn't go there because they've got nothing I need to know. But it occurred to me that they take their hit counter increases as approval. And if they advertise, it's money in their pocket, which I know most(?) here wouldn't want.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!