Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Broadband: No firewall?

by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 12:15 AM PDT

I would like to clarify this matter. I've been informed by some people that this is so, but when I checked the IP address of my home network, it does indicate that there's a firewall.

And would like to ask: does routers do any good in blocking out hackers, either via LAN or wireless?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broadband: No firewall?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broadband: No firewall?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please define what you think a firewall is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 12:59 AM PDT

It's all about definition. But many have a router and that is a basic firewall.

Collapse -
Hmm...
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 1:14 AM PDT

My thinking of a firewall is something that prevents hackers from intruding into your connection or computer (e.g. connecting to your laptop via wireless), and controls inbound and outbound connections.

Collapse -
We've had this discussion before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm...

Ahh, it's you. Why the new discussion?

Collapse -
Oh, did we? Sorry about it then...
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

Somehow all my tracked discussions of last year disappeared, and found it hard to find it through forum search.

But did I ask about the broadband question before?

Collapse -
Yes, we had a long discussion about firewalls.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

What's happened to make you ask?

Collapse -
Partly about rumours, also...
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 9:13 AM PDT

I feel I do not want to make the wrong choice by getting a software firewall. Been looking for one when got suggested to get a router instead.

Can't seem to find ZoneAlarm Pro in stores, so maybe that's part of the problem too.

Collapse -
(NT) Why won't ZA the free version do the job?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 9:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
What I'm looking for also is
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 10:52 AM PDT

wireless and gamer mode. These 2 cannpot be found in ZoneAlarm Free at all.

Collapse -
(NT) Oops, not gamer mode, sorry.
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 11:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Weird.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 12:03 PM PDT

ZA free works just fine here. Why would I need these?

Collapse -
ZA Free
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 2:59 PM PDT

covers only the basic firewall functions. Wireless is because I once had an alert from Trend Micro IS 2007 that someone was trying to connect to my wireless.

Collapse -
That TMIS2007 case I mentioned was early last year.
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: ZA Free

It just happened when I was in a public Wi-Fi zone.

Collapse -
Now that's just marketing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: ZA Free

Next thing you will tell me is that wireless is somehow different when we talk about networking. I fear the marketing people have corrupted you.

Collapse -
Marketing people?
by darkdestiny7 / April 5, 2008 9:54 AM PDT

Don't get me wrong. I was influenced by the non-marketing people: the users.

Collapse -
OK, I'm game.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 11:27 AM PDT

Tell me what this wifi feature is doing for me.

Collapse -
(NT) I don't get what you mean Proffitt. Can elaborate?
by darkdestiny7 / April 5, 2008 11:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sell me why I would want this feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 11:48 AM PDT

You've been dancing all around this. Tell me what it does.

Collapse -
Wireless feature...
by darkdestiny7 / April 5, 2008 3:38 PM PDT

protects one's wireless connection from hackers who can insert malware into the computer or laptop. I believe this kind of protection alerts the user of something connecting to his/her PC's wireless connection, allowing him/her to allow or block that connection (or informs you it had blocked the connection).

I hate it when someone I don't know connects to my laptop's wireless connection and use it. As I said it happened once before.

Collapse -
My system. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2008 8:57 AM PDT

Two laptops, three desktops, wireless N and Gigabit LAN, all running XP Pro behind my D-link Gigabit/wireless N router. Firewall in place is XP only. I got tired of jacking with Zone Alarm. Have had zero intrusions or problems.

Collapse -
The problem with router is
by darkdestiny7 / April 4, 2008 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: My system. . .

I do not have enough budget to get some of them. Besides can't find a good portable one. Maybe I'll consider it if I happen to go overseas for a couple of months.

Gonna try out Online Armor Firewall if I still can't find the ZoneAlarm Pro I wanted.

Collapse -
You wrote...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2008 10:27 PM PDT

"protects one's wireless connection from hackers who can insert malware into the computer or laptop. I believe this kind of protection alerts the user of something connecting to his/her PC's wireless connection, allowing him/her to allow or block that connection (or informs you it had blocked the connection).

I hate it when someone I don't know connects to my laptop's wireless connection and use it. As I said it happened once before."

This is a sham. If you turned off the firewall before why would this help you here?

There is no wifi feature here that I would pay for since the stock firewall will block such being wifi or other.

All this back and forth and you've yet to offer a reason to buy this.
Bob

Collapse -
Oops...
by darkdestiny7 / April 6, 2008 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: You wrote...

Totally strayed off the main topic here. Read all of my post and realized it.

Back to the main topic, I hear that the broadband I have is actually a broadband firewall.

Now to the "firewall" thing, I guess I feel having an antivirus isn't safe enough for surfing in public and school campus networks. All the more I was looking for a software, or a router.

My bad. The firewall thing is totally off-topic, and may not be discussed in this forum. Or is it?

Collapse -
The firewall thing is not off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2008 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops...

If there is a router in that cable modem or between you and the cable modem you have a basic firewall.

The BIG issue with firewalls is there is no standard definition. So to begin a discussion about it you must tell me what your specs are for said firewall.

Do that first!
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Broadband: No firewall?
by Luksguy / May 17, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

You said: "I hate it when someone I don't know connects to my laptop's wireless connection and use it. As I said it happened once before."

To me, it sounds like you don't have your network secured. By Secured, I mean that you can add a password to your router that must be entered in order to connect to the Internet on your connection,

The firewall, is specific to your PC and/or routers to stop hackers (people to steal info / do harm to your PC)

Does this help a bit?

Sam

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.