HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Broadband, crashing, email wont send!

by freedomofchoice / November 7, 2004 4:48 PM PST

Have Win XP Pro & Office XP. I have just gone on broadband, my son has provided me with a new faster computer, I have a firewall ADSL modem. I now can't send out email from my old computer, (but it receives some email)
I can't network with the new computer it says I don't have permissions! The new computer although connected to the net says it can't find remote server, though I have logged into the box, in fact I am in a complete mess and don't know where to start. The new computer keeps rebooting itself every half hour or so.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Broadband, crashing, email wont send!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Broadband, crashing, email wont send!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Broadband, crashing, email wont send!
by billzhills / November 8, 2004 6:12 AM PST

Old computer first.....
E-Mail...
What E-mail applicaton are you using?
If Outlook Express check account settings. Your ISP provider can supply the correct settings.

Network....
How is it set up? One way is to use a router. Another is to use Internet Connect Sharing. This is the Hwd side.

For software... Was the network wizard in XP run?

New system....
New build... How much training does your son have? Not a knock, but the reboots suggest system is overheating and that you are using an Intel CPU. Incorrectly attaching the heat sink/fan will cause CPU to over heat. Also type of case used may cause overheating.

Also Fire wall is not enough protection. You will need all the security patches from M/S and anti-virus appllication.

Overall this is all I can offer at this time. Please read the tip section over where you post. This will give you the information we need to assist you.

Bill

Collapse -
Re: Broadband, crashing, email wont send!
by TONI H / November 8, 2004 6:39 AM PST

I have satellite modem service and every time I would try to connect to the net, it would reboot my XP Pro system........after calling tech support for my modem, I discovered that permission had to be entered in the Firewall, Advanced area for Starband with the appropriate port numbers. Once entered and on a reboot, I was able to hit the net running.......

I would start there.....

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.