HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Britain / England / Uk

by smallclone / February 19, 2008 6:38 PM PST

Hi, I'm just doing a bit of research here.....

I'm interested to know how many of you (without cheating) know what the difference between Britain and England is. And the difference between UK and Great Britain.

Geographically speaking, What is your perception of Britain / UK ?

Is it one country ? A collection of countries?

Thanks

(please don't use a search engine)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Britain / England / Uk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Britain / England / Uk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this based on...
by EdH / February 19, 2008 6:59 PM PST
In reply to: Britain / England / Uk

last night's JEOPARDY question?

Collapse -
?
by smallclone / February 19, 2008 7:19 PM PST
In reply to: Is this based on...

erm, no.

Collapse -
Okay. Coincidence....
by EdH / February 19, 2008 7:43 PM PST
In reply to: ?

there was an almost identical question (or answer) on JEOPARDY last night.

Obviously, I know the answer, so I am disqualified.

Collapse -
Jeopardy
by smallclone / February 19, 2008 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: Okay. Coincidence....

I don't live in the US so I've never even heard of the tv programme you're talking about. But glad to know it was on tv!!!

Happy

Its not a quiz question ar anything. I'm just interested in people's views, and what the majority concieve "Britain" to be, in terms of Geography.

Collapse -
I'm here in the USA state of New Mexico,
by drpruner / February 21, 2008 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: Jeopardy

so I can introduce you to our particular problem. Many Yanks think New Mexico is a foreign country. Seriously. Many stories about that- funny, unless you're a schoolteacher.

I've got friends in Kent, BTW.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / February 19, 2008 8:11 PM PST

England is a country

Great Britain
England
Wales
Scotland
Northern Ireland (?)

Collapse -
Post didn't display properly
by JP Bill / February 19, 2008 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: Response

England is a country

Great Britain or United Kingdom of Great Britain made up of England, Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland (not sure of situation with Northern Ireland, but I think they are independent of England)

Collapse -
Not sure but what would it be called
by Diana Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 10:43 PM PST

to include places like Canada and Australia? Always thought that was the United Kingdom.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) Maybe this is the British Empire?
by Diana Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 10:43 PM PST
Collapse -
The answer is
by JP Bill / February 19, 2008 10:59 PM PST
The Commonwealth

An association comprising the United Kingdom, its dependencies, and many former British colonies that are now sovereign states with a common allegiance to the British Crown, including Canada, Australia, India, and many countries in the West Indies and Africa. It was formally established by the Statute of Westminster in 1931.
Collapse -
British Commonwealth.
by EdH / February 19, 2008 11:29 PM PST

The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (as others have mentioned).

Collapse -
Canada?
by smallclone / February 19, 2008 11:40 PM PST

Canada is in America

(North America granted but thats where it is)

Collapse -
Canada in the Commonwealth?
by JP Bill / February 20, 2008 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Canada?
Collapse -
(NT) PS I am Canadian
by JP Bill / February 20, 2008 2:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks JP Bill.....
by smallclone / February 20, 2008 6:29 AM PST

But what was the intention of the link?

Canad is part of the Commonwealth but also in North America yes?

Collapse -
Yes, Canada is part of North America
by JP Bill / February 20, 2008 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks JP Bill.....

The intention of the link was to show that the Commonwealth countries/members are spread all over the world.

Collapse -
One from our side.
by drpruner / February 21, 2008 8:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks JP Bill.....

Many don't realize that Mexico is in North America, along with everything else above the equator. "Central America" is mostly a political designation; not a continent, of course.

Collapse -
as long as research is a goal
by WOODS-HICK / February 19, 2008 9:11 PM PST

what country do you reside in? include country of birth if different. you have not completed a profile as of now.

I know the answer to your question because we have discussed it here in SE before. I don't watch 'jeopardy' either but it is available in my country.

if you answer my question above; I will ask another.

purely research, thanks

Collapse -
You can't trick us!
by Dan McC / February 19, 2008 9:42 PM PST

We're Americans, darnitall! We don't need no book learnin' 'bout no foreigners! ! !

OK, we're not all Americans, and some of us do know the answer. But we're still suspicious, so watch it!

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) where you from pilgrim?
by WOODS-HICK / February 19, 2008 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: You can't trick us!
Collapse -
I'm from.........
by smallclone / February 19, 2008 10:40 PM PST

..........Wales, yup that's where I live. And a wonderful place it is too..

I just wondered how many people realised it was a different entity to the rest. As when I've travelled abroad, nobody ahs a clue that there are other countries separate from England .

Collapse -
a polite tip
by WOODS-HICK / February 19, 2008 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: I'm from.........

I only phrased it that way because comments sometimes are misconstrued. been there, done that

the pilgim question was for dan who I recognize from his many posts here. his sense of humor would recognize the intent of that question.

now for the tip: it may have been accidental but you should have replied directly to my post. I have made the same mistake more than once myself.

tv (the tele?) has provided my views of wales as a place. I also noticed that names of places and the language,etc are even more difficult to say than my dutch heritage. I am fourth generation, dutch descent, USA citizen and have resided here only.

my travels to europe which in two trips totaled 40 days included england, france, holland, belgium, east and west germany, austria, luxembourg, and italy. slept on many trains, hostels, campgrounds and a obligatory 4-star to refresh and get a long hot shower. my best stories and memories are from the trail.

I have observed that many USA citizens stay within our borders. (the question) do you know how many states in the contiguous USA?

you may, I am sure because europeans are well-travelled, realize how much one learns from visiting people and places that you have only been told about. you have to touch the unknown to know it more fully.

I envy europeans because inter-country journey is so easy. the distances are relatively short and the culture shift is unbelievable to the first time traveller. here in the states we have our: little italys, china-towns, irish rivieras, andersonvilles (swedes), etc. they are islands in our country similar to west berlin not an entire nation with its' charm, history, values and language.

I do ramble to strangers (it is my midwest upbringing) so let me end with: do you remember where the question is?

Collapse -
Oops, sorry
by smallclone / February 20, 2008 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: a polite tip

Thanks for the information. Very interesting. Next time your in the UK, come to Wales.

Where abouts in Luxembourg did you go? Did you make it to Clausen?

What do you mean by contiguous USA? I'm aware of how big the Usa is and how many states it has.

As for Dutch and Welsh Language - they are both very difficult on the eye, but if Dutch is anything like Welsh, its fairly easy to learn and understand.

"Dwi'n dysgu Cymraeg ar hyn O bryd!! - Mae e'n iaith hardd"

Collapse -
that subject line might be covered
by WOODS-HICK / February 20, 2008 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Oops, sorry

here:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... Original post
by James Denison - 2/19/08 3:19 AM

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6130_102-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=284574&messageID=2708238

I will respond with more info about my european travels in a while. 'realspace' requires some attention.

if I gave you the definition I would be assisting your answer. so do the search.

to give you an idea of what may transpire here. take a look at the following current discussion. it will offer what may go on in a discussion where many members know who they are. it is only one of course but if you read each post it will accelerate your learning curve in SE (Speakeasy forum).

Excellent show about Haditha, Iraq. Original post
by grimgraphix - 2/19/08 7:22 PM

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6130_102-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=284679&messageID=2708995#2708995

that one is not what may be considered the norm; as many and most discussions are truly enlightening. enjoy

Collapse -
make it to Clausen?
by WOODS-HICK / February 20, 2008 4:08 PM PST
In reply to: Oops, sorry

only if it is where the train station is. just breakfast and quick walk-around between trains.

the cities I stayed for a day or two or three: london (ended up at royal movie premier in the presence of princess ann, yep that one), paris, basel switzerland, amsterdam, florence, venice, vienna, e&w berlin and brussels. I met distant cousins in brussels and visited a woman, future-worlds-style comic book illustrator, that I met when she came to NYC to work on commercials.

I never heard dutch growing up. dutch treat dating was the only holdover. english-only starting with grandpa. hollanders speak better english than many USA english speakers. more reasons to go to amsterdam than the frites and bikes.

florence, berlin, paris and amsterdam were the cities I enjoyed the most. met my first communists in florence. tito's yugoslavia was a beacon to those lefty waiters and they sang praises for its' way of life. they also knew the after-hours florentine fun spots.

one took me and two women from lebanon, who were staying at my little hotel to his favorite haunts.

they came to italy with hardly any luggage or clothes. they were daughters of prominent christians and described the horrors back home. they came to italy to buy new luggage and clothes, things that were impossible to find in their country. they came also to escape the violence for a few days.

learned many things from them, how life may be harsh and you may be victims of something outside your control or wishes. my country had no wars inside it for over a hundred years. they went back because that was their home and family. two powerful forces.

now about your welsh, here is an online translation. is it remotely close?

"I ' am being heartburn learn Welsh at this time!! He is being he ' heartburn language he plows " "

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Welsh&to=English

my take: It is not painful to learn welsh if you are born in wales

Collapse -
translation wasn't the best
by smallclone / February 20, 2008 5:08 PM PST
In reply to: make it to Clausen?

It was:

"I am learning Welsh at the moment, It is a beutiful langauge"

Collapse -
Welcome to Speakeasy!!!!
by Angeline Booher / February 20, 2008 2:38 AM PST

Drop by at your leisure.

What is that old joke.... we are separated only by a common language?
Happy

We have several moderators in this commuity from "across the pond", as well.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
So you must be a close friend of
by Steven Haninger / February 20, 2008 6:57 AM PST

Stevie Nicks. Have her drop a post here. Happy

Collapse -
Yes, I know what the difference is.
by grimgraphix / February 20, 2008 1:25 AM PST

Despite the fact that many folk in the US can't find their own *** using 2 hands... I do know the answers to your questions.

I'm a bit confused by your question about what my perception of Britain and the United Kingdom is. Is that a British was of asking where it is located on the globe? Ummm... west of France and Belgium? Closest point between the 2 land masses is 24 miles as the bird flies?

If you are a geography student, then here is a (trick) question for you about the US. In what part of Virginia is West Virginia located? You would be surprised how many US citizens get this one wrong.

Collapse -
Did Jeopardy ever...
by J. Vega / February 20, 2008 3:36 AM PST

Did the game show Jeopardy ever do the question of how many states in the contiguous U.S., and if so was the answer 44?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.