Samsung forum

General discussion

Bright areas in corners of LN52A630

by jss22 / January 27, 2009 3:57 AM PST

Mr Samsung,

I recently purchased a Samsung LN52A630 TV, and on dark scenes, or especially the black areas above and below a 2.35:1 aspect ratio film on blu-ray, there are brighter areas in the corners of the screen.

I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and Samsung promptly dispatched a local TV repair person, who didn't know what to make of the problem (and used no testing gear); they said the set 'may just be that way'. I answered the survey e-mailed to me by Samsung the next day (very punctual) and asked for an e-mail address for someone I could send pictures of the problem to, but I have heard no response. This was almost 2 weeks ago.

The bright corner areas are not as noticeable in a bright environment (daytime), but very noticeable at night, even with lamps on in the room, most noticeable in an unlit environment. I have used all 3 modes (dynamic, movie and standard), and even have decreased the level of the backlight, but the bright areas in the corners are still present, albeit dimmer, but then again, the entire image is dimmer, not just the bright spots.

My question is: What are Samsung's specs for black/brightness level across a 52" screen, and does my set meet those specifications?

I can take a picture of the set this evening if you would like (and all the picture settings corresponding to the image), and link it to a post if that would help...Considering the glowing reviews these sets get in Consumer Reports and other places, I was expecting more than what I got...

JSS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bright areas in corners of LN52A630
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bright areas in corners of LN52A630
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Picture Quality
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2009 9:15 AM PST

Jess,

I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience.

This issue is known as clouding, and can happen a number of ways.

The most common way is that the brightness setting is too high. Most people find that if they adjust the television (calibrate it, so to speak) for good colors, that issue usually corrects itself. Some "clouding" is a possibility with LCD - however, it shouldn't be so much that it bothers you.

That said, I read that you did try to adjust it to no avail. I'm sorry our service center didn't get back to you. If you'd like to post some pictures and your service ticket number, I would be happy to escalate this issue and find out why you haven't received a call back. Your service ticket should start with a 4001xxxxx 4002xxxxxx or 2001xxxxx number.

I hesitate in stepping in the middle of some service issues, but if you haven't been served with proper results, you deserve to be. It could be that they've ordered parts for you already, but let's find out.

Kindly,

--HDTech

Collapse -
same fear
by Toodles69 / January 27, 2009 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Picture Quality

this is exactly my fear too...that they would say flashlights are normal, even in NORMAL viewing conditions!! they can't be, because they're pretty darn distracting above a certain level;
I have put off calling samsung service due to exams, but i plan to do so;

Samsung tech: I REALLY hope you can/will assist me if they don't take my issue seriosuly; I have tried million things to adjust the pic, but light areas on edges and PROMINENT flashlights still exist.

Collapse -
Flashlighting...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: same fear

Toodles69,

There are some people who would note that ANY light leakage is a "flashlighting issue". If it's interfering with your experience, then I think a reasonable effort is due to investigate the problem.

I can assist, but that's not to be construded as a guarantee. I try and help people here every day. In many instances, I'm successful.

Let's start the process and see where it goes before we worry about being left in the dark.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Clouding issue pictures
by jss22 / January 27, 2009 4:55 PM PST

HD Tech,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Here are some pictures of my unit, with a lamp off to the right of the unit on, and all lights off.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OxRRyJ-6aLw/SYAYXGin1FI/AAAAAAAAAM0/tlqkvImvvvg/s144/IMG_1460.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OxRRyJ-6aLw/SYAYX7MNDnI/AAAAAAAAAM8/S3XpV9k-V0Y/s144/IMG_1461.JPG

These were taken with a Canon PowerShot SD1000 in Auto mode, with a tripod directly in front of the seating position for watching movies, with the flash suppressed.

I calibrated the TV's brightness, contrast, backlight, sharpness and color balance (just the color and tint controls, not a custom color space) with Joe Kane's Digital Video Essentials blu-ray.

Due to the decreased backlight level I chose to reduce the clouding, my 'pure whites' look a little more grey than on Standard or Dynamic Mode, but the clouds are still there (as can be seen in the photos). I can also take pics of the other modes, but the effect would just be worse.

Here are the settings pictured:

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 4
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 2
Color: 50
Tint: G53/R47
Color Space: Warm 2 (I used Warm 2 as I read that it is the closest pre-set color space to 6500K)

Samsung has been prompt and courteous in every way except in responding to my survey completed after the service call. The technicians sent to my home (not Samsung people) were very polite, but just didn't seem to have an answer to the problem. In their defense, they stopped by in the middle of the day, and I had to black out my windows with blankets for them to see the clouding effect (I have a very bright room during the day; the main reason I went with LCD vs plasma, and the main deciding factor between the 630 and 650 panel, which were very similar price-wise).

My service ticket # is 4003053642.

Please let me know if this clouding is to be expected in Samsung LCD panels, or if this is a defective unit.

Thanks,

JSS

Collapse -
Photos Again (not just thumbnails)
by jss22 / January 27, 2009 5:02 PM PST

Here are links to the larger photos:

Lamp off to the right of the screen on (and reflections seen of the back wall on the screen):

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OxRRyJ-6aLw/SYAYXGin1FI/AAAAAAAAAM0/tlqkvImvvvg/s640/IMG_1460.JPG

All lights off:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OxRRyJ-6aLw/SYAYX7MNDnI/AAAAAAAAAM8/S3XpV9k-V0Y/s640/IMG_1461.JPG

If higher res photos are needed, I can upload them. I have never noticed the more red area at the bottom of the screen, mainly the two top corner clouds.

FYI - This is a 4:3 TV Show DVD (The Wire, Season 1, Disc 4), paused on an all-black screen (hence the black-outs on the left and right edges of the screen). When set to 16:9 viewing, the clouds are brighter.

JSS

Collapse -
that should be replaced
by Toodles69 / January 28, 2009 12:31 AM PST

i have flashlights on corners, but it's not nearly that bad; that's not just flashlights, but also clouding and blotching in the MIDDLE of the screen; The normal flashlighting and backlight bleed normally affect corners and edges, AFAIK.

I hope you'll find a resolution with Samsung with Samsung tech's help. keep us updated, and good luck.

Collapse -
Same here
by iVersatile / January 28, 2009 1:23 AM PST

I have the same flashlighting in the two upper corners of my set. I have a different model than you but the same problem. I also have some minor clouding when viewing slightly off angle. A service tech is coming to take a look at it today. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

Collapse -
diddo - sucks
by mamontano / January 28, 2009 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: Same here

samsung ln32a540. I had originally bought a 26" sharp and
it was worse. Changed channels real slow to. Returned it
and got the samsung. I got another month to decide if i want
to try another - costco thing. This is the only samsung they
got because i prefer samsungs. I bought a 26" samsung a couple
of years ago and no problems like this. It doesn't have the
backlight adjustment. On the ln32a540 it's more noticeable
on dynamic other than standard and movie. May just live with it.
Got this from the owners manual:

"This TFT LCD panel uses a panel consisting of sub pixels (3 133 440) which require sophisticated technology to produce.
However, there may be few bright or dark pixels on the screen. These pixels will have no impact on the performance of the
product."

Apparently the issue we are having is pretty common. Must be a cost
cutting thing. Screen uniformity is one of the things cnet editors
look for and i've seen alot of their discussion on it.

Collapse -
Service
by iVersatile / January 28, 2009 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: diddo - sucks

If you get your unit serviced be sure to insist on them doing something about it. The tech that came in today to look at mine didn't care at all, he seemed like he was in a rush and was unwilling to help me.

Collapse -
Ticket number
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: Service

iVersatile,

If I haven't asked this already in another thread, would you please post your service transaction number? 4001xxxx, 2001xxxx, or similar number?

I really don't like hearing that our techs were unwilling to help people. Being rushed is one thing; but I don't like hearing the other part at all.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by iVersatile / January 31, 2009 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Ticket number

HD Tech

After my experience with the tech that came in last time, i made a thread asking you for suggestions on what to do before someone decided to post in my thread and take personal swipes at me and another forum member and turned my thread into a flame war. So the admin saw fit to lock my thread (which is understandable)

Here is the link to the thread just in case you want to take a look at it.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?forumID=146&threadID=327604&messageID=2964904&tag=forums06;forum-threads

I understand now that it wasn't Samsung's fault, just the tech that came to take a look at the set.

Collapse -
Saw that.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2009 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Locked

iVersatile,

I saw that thread. Hopefully that won't happen here.

What you can do is give me your ticket number and we'll go from there. I think I had posted this in an earlier thread, so if I missed it, I'll catch up to it (I have about 150+ posts to go through, and I'm even ignoring the superbowl as I type...)..

But if you can post your service ticket number, I'll personally forward it and see what we can do about this. Did you post pictures? If so, could you link me to those?

Thanks!

--HDTech

Collapse -
New ticket number.
by iVersatile / February 1, 2009 3:26 PM PST
In reply to: Saw that.....

Sure, here is my ticket number (4003107137)As for the pictures i haven't posted any yet, i tried taking some but my camera is no good.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2009 5:08 PM PST
In reply to: New ticket number.

Thank you for your patience.

I've sent your ticket number in for consideration, and I'll talk to our support team on Monday to see if I can have some influence in getting a different tech to come out - or having the same tech fix it regardless.

I'll post when I hear back, which should be sometime the same day.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by iVersatile / February 2, 2009 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you.

When i talked to ECR (sp?) they assigned me to another service center. However, i am afraid the same thing might happen again. I don't know what i'd do next.

Sorry if you missed some of the Super Bowl in replying to my post but it was lame anyway, i hate the Steelers! =p

Collapse -
What you'd do....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2009 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you.

What you can do if the same thing happens is let me know.

Boy, I'm not even going to TOUCH sports debates. I'll lose customers left and right and sit alone in our empty forum. Silly

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2009 3:14 AM PST
In reply to: New ticket number.

iVersatile ,

I have escalated this to a supervisor for review along with my comments based on your post. Thanks for your patience. If you don't hear from Samsung by Monday, you might want to call in to see what progress they have.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Tomorrow
by iVersatile / February 4, 2009 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: Update

The Tech's are coming tomorrow to take a look at it, hopefully it turns out better than the first time so that i can get back to enjoying my TV Happy

I will be sure to post here tomorrow after they leave

Thanks for all your help. I know you have a lot of threads to reply to.

Collapse -
Flashlighting
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 29, 2009 11:04 PM PST

I would say that some flashlighting is considered normal. If you have an LCD computer monitor, you could duplicate the same test and wind up with a similar result.

For instance, flashlighting would be on the same parts of the screen, and have varying differences. It is an inherent part of the LCD panel.

That said, it's not normal to have it at a level where you can see it consistently. If it's bothering your picture or viewing enjoyment consistently, that's a problem. But just because you can detect it on black screens doesn't necessarily mean that the unit is defective.

Enter customer service: We do want you to be happy with your picture, and can work to fix those units.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks HD Tech...
by jss22 / January 30, 2009 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: Flashlighting

I'm guessing your recommendation is to submit another request for service through Samsung support, correct?

I first noticed the flashlights/clouds when watching movies like Sin City, and any movie shown in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If the flashlights/clouds would keep to themselves in the blackout areas, I would have no problem with it, but they intrude into the viewable area on darker scenes, and are obtrusive to the point of very noticeably detracting from the viewing experience.

Were you able to find out what are the QC specifications for the LN52A630 set for panel brightness/blackness uniformity? Having worked in semiconductors/electronics in the past, I know specs like that probably exist somehwere, and there probably is a QC person or robot that should be checking these specs before these units go out the door. If the spec limits include obvious flashlighting/clouding, there could be a problem...

Any hints or tips on how to get a true Samsung person and not a local TV repairman to make the service call?

Thanks for your help so far, and I will keep you posted. I'm glad you are accessible through this forum.

JSS

Collapse -
You're welcome.. and some answers
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks HD Tech...

JSS22,

Yes, if you're not satisfied with the outcome, say something.

I'm probably not going to receive the QC specifications. Since this is a public forum and our competitors also watch this, there's just no way I'm going to be able to post that information publicly. Please understand my point of view: If I'm not careful, I could potentially cause some serious problems by disclosing things. There IS quality control in place, but I can't speak to what level, details or specifications.

Our network of repair technicians include local television repairmen around the country who are trained and authorized to work as Authorized Technicians on Samsung televisions. This way, we can reach the largest demographic of customers possible, and many of them are really passionate about their work.

Thanks for your kind words, and your patience this week while I catch up on posts.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Reposted for jss22: new repair ticket.
by Kees Bakker / January 31, 2009 12:08 AM PST

But I left out the ticket number. No need to make that public.

Kees

"HD Tech,

I have a new repair ticket number, xxxxxx. Just as last time, service was prompt, wait time on the phone was minimal, and the local service provider called me within 12 hours to set up an appointment (30 minutes ago). They are set up to visit me next week. Unfortunately, they cannot visit in the evening, so I'll have to 'black out' the room so the flashlights/clouds will be visible.

I understand about not being able to get/post specs.

Thanks for your help so far in this frustrating situation,

JSS"

Collapse -
Can you confirm something?
by jss22 / January 31, 2009 12:21 AM PST

HD Tech,

I read this recently, and I'm not sure if it may have something to do with my issues:

The quote is about an LN46A630 set. Does this apply to the LN52A630 as well?

Quote: "The allure of this TV was the fact that it's a matte-version of the 650... However, I recently found out, it isn't. This is a 120mhz version of the 550. This uses an older processor than the 650. I'm a bit disappointed by that, and the lack of an extra HDMI port. The PQ isn't as stunning as the 650, predominately because of the older processor, not because of the semi-matte finish."

This is exactly the rationale I used to decide on the 630 vs the 650, and I was told all the internals, save the extra HDMI input, were exactly the same. Was I told the truth, whose info is accurate?

Considering the 630 and 650 were less than $100 difference in price when I bought the unit, I believed the sales associate when they told me the internals were the same. Are they?

JSS

Collapse -
Pretty sure but....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 2, 2009 6:20 AM PST

Jss22,

I'm almost positive that the 6-series is it's own lineup, and that all of the 630 units are very similar to the 650 units as far as internals go.

And here's why: different internals would be required to run 120Hz, which is the defining difference between the 5-series and 6-series. It would be wildly tedious to soup up a 5-Series 60Hz processor and get 120Hz processing; especially when we can take the same native 120Hz processing board currently in the 650 series and add a matte finish rather than a SuperClear panel with expected reducton in contrast ratio for those who don't want a SuperClear panel in a 650 model, and still maintain an increase in contrast ratio from the 5-series. It seems pretty cut and dry to conclude that the 6-Series isn't using 5-Series internals.

I can almost definitively conclude that the 6-series board in the 630 is similar to the 650. However since that "almost" is in there and I'm not absolutely certain, I have sent an additional inquiry to see if I can get some clarification. Since we don't discuss internals normally - particularly in detail down to the processors (nor does anyone else in most cases), I don't have much hope in receiving an answer I can post, but will be happy to confirm the general idea if I do get an answer.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Unit to be looked at tomorrow...
by jss22 / February 3, 2009 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Pretty sure but....

HD Tech,

The 120Hz internals rationale makes sense...but thanks for checking on this anyway, at the very least it can put a myth to rest...

Getting a new person to come have a look at the unit tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately, they let me know they cannot make an evening call to better see the flashlighting, so I have taped blankets and sleeping bags to my windows to black them out. I'll let you know what they say...

Thanks again for being available here. I probably would have given up on Samsung as a whole if not for this forum. I'm glad there are other people who are not experiencing these problems with their sets...

JSS

Collapse -
Posted..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 4, 2009 4:04 AM PST

How did this turn out?

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Just finished with service call..
by jss22 / February 4, 2009 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Posted..

The technician who came by seemed much more knowledgeable, identified the defect right away, took pictures, and said they would submit an SAW (Service Authorization Worksheet) to Samsung. The tech said that they have not seen this problem much if at all, and that was good to hear.

I hope to hear from them soon on the result of the SAW.

Hopefully this issue is on its way to being fixed.

Thanks for your help, and I'll keep you posted.

JSS

Collapse -
630=650=550
by jbhassoc / February 8, 2009 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: Pretty sure but....

Its been a week since the post about looking into jss22's question so I'm wondering if any info has come back from your sources?.

I also would like to know the answer to the processor/panel question ie. the 630 being a modified 550 or does it in fact have the same video processor and 10 bit panel as the 650. This info is very important to me. As I have mentioned in another post my 52a630 on the 120 hz split screen shows no difference when viewing sports or movies. If the 630 is in fact a modified 550 with the 550 processor this could explain it. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Waiting for an answer from Samsung...
by jss22 / February 14, 2009 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: 630=650=550

Called the technician's company that came over to see the TV and they say that they are still waiting for a response from Samsung on getting my panel replaced. How long does a response usually take?

Also, any confirmation on the 630 vs 550 questions above?

Thanks for all of your help,

JSS

Collapse -
Not sure...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 15, 2009 10:32 AM PST

jss22,

I don't know what the timeframe is. If it's been a few days, you might went to call and follow up.

I've given up making statements on the internal parts of our products. I'm sorry, but it just causes argument and speculation, usually directed at me, and then the only way to defend myself or prove what I say is true is to release internal information, which I can't do (and what some would love me to do).

It has become a catch-22 in the past several weeks, and I'm just not equipped to address those questions anymore. I think the difference between 120Hz and 60Hz between the two series is a good enough of an argument to say that the 6-Seris is different from the 5-Series.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.