Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Briefcase Error

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP and am having a problem using Briefcase. It will error out saying files are on a read only disc and not accessible.
Anyone have any ideas how to correct this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Briefcase Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Briefcase Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the same problem

In reply to: Briefcase Error

Hi daviddude,
My issue is identical.
I've also searched around and contacted support etc, to no avail.
Its very frustration as I use briefcases extensively, between all different work sites with different operating systems and I don't want to start using a different add-on program.
I'll let you know if I get any other info though.
Cheers,
Kate

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply

In reply to: I have the same problem

thanks Kate.
I will try to find a solution too. I believe Windows 7 comes with 90 days free tech support.

Collapse -
The briefcase

is primarily used to sychronise two copies of the same file, one of which resides on a desktop PC and the other, in the Briefcase, resides on a network connected laptop. The laptop file is edited during travels and, when returned to the network, can bring the Desktop copy of the file up to date by invoking the update function on the Briefcase
In your original post you say you upgraded xp to win7 but which one, the desktop or the laptop?
Did you recreate the Briefcase on the laptop and refill it from the desktop after the upgrade?

Collapse -
Upgrade

In reply to: The briefcase

Hi & thanks for the reply.
I upgraded my desktop to Windows 7. I have been using briefcase since Windows 95 or 98 for backing up my files to USB and external hard drives.
My laptop has Vista and I noticed on that one that briefcase just wasn't the same.
I set up several briefcases last night; one briefcase on an second internal hard drive - that one worked but is extremely slow. Second briefcase on an external hard drive still extremely slow - same files as the briefcase on the extra internal hard drive but on the external it does not like one folder in my documents folder. I tried 3 times with 3 new briefcases and still that same folder it just does not like. I set up my third briefcase on a USB 8.0 Gig memory chip -
still extremely slow and this one is a smaller briefcase (not as many files/folders as the other two briefcases)

Collapse -
So your newly created briefcases work

In reply to: Upgrade

albeit slowly except for one folder which reports something about a file being on a readonly disk.
Does the error occurr when you are trying to synchronise two copies of this folder or when you initially transfer it to the briefcase?

Collapse -
Just tested them and...

In reply to: So your newly created briefcases work

The external has several files marked as Skipped both files changed when the dates and times on the files are the same.
The internal briefcase, I had several files opened when I clicked update and those files were just ignored and not included in the update list at all.
So, no, not really, they are not working.

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't think I can offer

In reply to: Just tested them and...

any useful advice, I have tested the traditional use of Briefcase with my network using an XP system and a win7 laptop and with a variety of files and folders, and cannot fault it.
The only conclusion I can come up with is that the specitic error you are getting is in some way related to the unique way in which you are using the facility. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the way you are using it, just that given the significant archectural code changes between XP and windows 7, your method may not have been catered for or tested.
Maybe someone else can offer a suggestion.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Sorry, I don't think I can offer

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your trying to help. Happy

Collapse -
Same Problem with Win 7 Briefcase

In reply to: Just tested them and...

I have the exact same problem with Win 7 not working with a Briefcase on my external drive (saying the drive was write protected when it is not). I tried creating a briefcase on my computer & dragging it onto the external. That helped, but it doesn't update changes to file names - it just deletes the file with the old name from the 2nd drive, leaving the file with the new name on the 1st drive unsynced & not even recognizing it as an orphan. This is true both ways, whether I make the change on the external drive or on the computer. It might be because I created the briefcase on the computer and dragged it to the external, even though I did not add the computer?s files to the briefcase until it was on the external.

Is using Windows Back-Up an option? I know it backs up data that can be restored, but can I use it like a briefcase" (Use the external drive to work on files away from my main computer and then sync the changes with the main computer?)

Other issues with the Briefcase and Win 7 are that the option to see the staus of my files is gone, and the ?create briefcase? option is not on the dropdown menu on the external drive. I found the latter issue covered in another thread but have not had time to try to see if fixing that glitch will solve my problems.

Collapse -
In the tentative stages of success....

In reply to: Same Problem with Win 7 Briefcase

Today I tried something different.
My main briefcase is large (3.5gb) and made up of half a dozen folders.
I created 6 new empty briefcases on my desktop and transferred each original subfolder into its own new briefcase. Then I updated each briefcase (strangely it asked me to replace my original documents with the ones on the briefcase). I said yes (prior to this I backed up onto a dvd). Then I moved the briefcases to my external hard-drive and tried to update them again. For most, it said the briefcases were up to date. For a couple of folders it told me there were orphans etc. For those with problems, I just deleted the briefcases and started again. One folder took about 4 goes (and I played with unchecking the 'read only' option, but it never seemed to stick) and eventually they all worked.
I have tested a couple of changes, but nothing significant.
The major thing I have noticed this time is that there is not 10-20 second lag in opening the briefcases, and explorer doesn't hang.
I'll keep you posted as I try to use the new briefcase set more.
Cheers,
Kate

Collapse -
Thanks Kate

In reply to: In the tentative stages of success....

Collapse -
I'm not having much luck

In reply to: In the tentative stages of success....

I am not having some luck with my briefcases on my machine.
At this point, I believe it has something to do with the new file structure in Windows 7 the libraries specifically. I came to that conclusion by trying to use Windows Sync Toy as a backup feature. I set it up the same way I have my briefcases navigating to my library to select folder pairs. Ran it, no problem. Ran it again and for some reason the Sync Toy took a huge chunk of my folders and files from my Word Docs folder and put them in my System Items folder. I haven't a clue. After I saw that fiasco happen, I then updated one of my briefcases and those files were not updated, not even listed as needing to be updated. That is how I came to the library problem. I then created a new briefcase on my external HD and this time I navigated through My Computer down to My Documents and chose the folders there for my New Briefcase (instead of picking them from the Libraries listing). This Briefcase seems to be working better. Every now and then I get the error message that my Vista laptop got me used to something along the lines of "unknown error...some of your files were not updated..." and I run the update again and those files were updated the first time and there are no changes needing to be made. Later today, I am going to create a new file in each folder in My Docs and see how the briefcases handle those adds. Kate, I have seen the orphan folder error when I try to update a folder itself, but if I update the entire briefcase, that "orphan folder" is not an orphan anymore.

Wow, long post, but I hope this helps someone.

Collapse -
Further to my post of tentative success

In reply to: I'm not having much luck

I have made changes to files and added new documents and was able to sync successfully. hooray! (for now)
I think the key was making smaller briefcases and creating them first on the desktop, allowing the computer to sync over the original files, and then transferring them to my USB.

good luck to you all,

now just to fix all my other problems with my laptop/W7/gadgets....
sigh.

Collapse -
Best and 30-second solution

Hello dear

Just install 7-zip (Freeware) and browse that corrupted briefcase via 7-zip manager and open its content and extract them to ur desired location.

Simple and easy.
Your welcome
Aditya Bhardwaj

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!