Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Bridged router doesn't pass through DHCP address

I have three wireless routers configured using the same SSID. Two of the routers are bridged off the main one and act simply as wireless access points. This allows me to wander around my house and always get a strong signal. The bridged routers have their DHCP turned off. I've found that when I try to access the LAN from my laptop after it's gone to asleep, I occasionally end up with just a self-appointed IP address and no amount of turning off Airport or renew the DHCP gets me a new address. I have to turn off Airport, go to a spot where I'm fairly close to the main router, get an IP address assigned, and then I'm fine.
Anything I should look out for in terms of router settings? As it turns out, all three routers are from different manufacturers: D-Link, NetGear, and ActionTec (the latter being the default device you get with Verizon FIOS and it's the "main" router in my network).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bridged router doesn't pass through DHCP address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bridged router doesn't pass through DHCP address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems odd

In reply to: Bridged router doesn't pass through DHCP address

To have the same SSID. I bet windows is confused.

Collapse -
Same SSID is normal

In reply to: Seems odd

Actually, Windows has nothing to do with it. Using the same SSID is common (think of when you're using a wireless service in a large hotel. They have multiple wireless access points with same SSID. Otherwise they'd have to publish the name of every single one). I'm just not sure if I need to do something else since I'm using routers instead of dedicated wireless access points.

Collapse -
Try it the other way.

In reply to: Same SSID is normal

Many get stuck on trying it their way and end up upset. Try it with different ssid and setup per this forums sticky. And "bridge"? Is that the same setup at post 18 or so in this forum's sticky post?
Bob

Collapse -
DHCP or other issue

In reply to: Same SSID is normal

I suspect you have a issue at the wireless level not related to DHCP. The simple way to test this would be to use a static configured IP and see if you still lose connectivity after a time.

If you do then its going to be in the wireless part related to which access point you are connected to. It takes a fairly advanced access point to allow you to switch between access point and keep all you encryption stuff correct.

Now if the the hardcoded IP works then you do have a DHCP issue. First be sure that the bridged access points actually bridge the DHCP request. DHCP is a very special broadcast that the router can intercept so you have to be sure it bridges these too.

What is strange is that after you have a DHCP address off the main router it does not use broadcast or bridging to keep it active. It send DHCP keepalive type requests directly to the IP of the DHCP server.

Maybe when the laptop is in sleep mode maybe it does not contact the DHCP server to keep the address active and therefore must start again with broadcast. So it could still be a blocking of broadcast DHCP requests on your bridged routers. Setting the lease time on the DHCP server very high would prevent timeout while your PC is asleep but not really fix your problem. Still it all comes down to do the bridged routers really bridge the initial broadcast DHCP requests, not going to be simple unless you have some way to see the traffic coming in and going out each device.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.