Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bridge collapse probe focuses on unexplained shift

by EdH / August 3, 2007 10:42 PM PDT
LINK

Maybe NOT Bush's fault after all? Maybe not time to panic after all?

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (CNN) -- Investigators trying to figure out what caused Wednesday's massive bridge collapse are focusing on the southern end of the span, which "behaved differently" as it fell, the National Transportation Safety Board said Friday.

The NTSB, which is investigating the disaster that killed at least five people and injured dozens, is also hoping another video provided by the Army Corps of Engineers will provide new images of the collapse.

What's getting investigators' attention is the way the southern part of the bridge fell in a video they've already examined -- recorded by a security camera near the bridge's north end -- and the way the section settled after the collapse.

"It appears that it has shifted approximately 50 feet to the east and when we compare that to what we've seen in the rest of the bridge -- the rest of the bridge appears to have collapsed in place, " said NTSB Chairman Mark Rosenker, who is leading a 19-member team charged with determining the cause of the accident.

"We're going to take a look at any unique design factors that could have created that shift...for whatever reason."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bridge collapse probe focuses on unexplained shift
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bridge collapse probe focuses on unexplained shift
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by duckman / August 3, 2007 11:14 PM PDT

I think I heard about Randi Rhodes from (dead )Air America that she was blaming Bush. That's how the chickens come home to roost.

Collapse -
Nay, it's Kevin Bacon's fault
by Diana Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Well
Collapse -
Supposedly a freight rain was passing underneath
by Steven Haninger / August 4, 2007 12:33 AM PDT

at the time of the collapse. I have to wonder if its rumbling near support structures will be considered a possible trigger. Trains make the ground shake around them.

Collapse -
Also, jackhammers used on the resurfacing project...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 4, 2007 1:16 AM PDT

might have played a role. What would be particularly stressful would be if the frequency from the jackhammers happened to be the same as the frequency from the train. Such hHarmonic vibrations" are often a problem in amplyifying stress synergistically; that's why marching troops always break cadence when crossing a bridge.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Marching troops breaking cadence on bridge...
by J. Vega / August 4, 2007 3:10 AM PDT

I have heard the tale of Marching troops breaking cadence on a bridge and wondered about it. Researching it all I was able to find for it's start was the case of the Broughton Bridge in 1829 which some blamed on marching troops.
Getting more current in the case of harmonic vibrations and bridge disasters there is the case of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse in 1940 (AKA Galloping Gertie). Those two cases do have something in common, they were both suspension bridges. But in the case at hand the bridge was not a suspension bridge.

Collapse -
Hi J....
by Mac McMullen / August 4, 2007 3:59 AM PDT

As I recall, way back in the military days, troops were ordered to "extend ranks" and march "at ease" on a bridge structure, deliberately breaking cadence to preclude the "weight and vibration" of simultaneous pounding feet.

Collapse -
The Discovery TV channel or
by John Robie / August 5, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

maybe it was one of the History TV channels, or A&E, some time back in one of their hour long programs concerning bridges said it was discovered that the Tacoma 1940 'Galloping Gertie' was a design flaw that engineers did not know about at that time. The structure under the road surface of the bridge would catch the wind a certain way and the 'galloping' would start. All bridge designers learned from that experience and designed a different under structure for suspension bridges.

Collapse -
Following that line of thought.......
by Mac McMullen / August 4, 2007 4:03 AM PDT

IF the sub-structure support on the east side failed, tipping the structure to the east, forcing the remaining stronger sub-structure to "lean" to the east would account for such a "shift".

Collapse -
Kind of what I was thinking...
by EdH / August 4, 2007 9:32 PM PDT

If the river undermined the aupports of the bridge just a little....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?