HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Brick and Mortar Beacons. Annoy your customers?

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 7:03 AM PDT

Imagine your smart phone and "devices constantly scan for BLE and wake up relevant apps — even if they are closed — when they come within range of a beacon."

Frankly if I was at the store and that happened that would be my cue to find the manager and show a little disapproval. If it's some store I can do without, I will.

If it becomes a wide spread phenom then it's time to carry my own beacon.

More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBeacon
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brick and Mortar Beacons. Annoy your customers?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brick and Mortar Beacons. Annoy your customers?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I give up. What is BLE?
by Diana Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 11:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'll give it a try
by Steven Haninger / August 19, 2014 12:03 AM PDT

It says "Bluetooth Low Energy" so like them there computer mice and features of new cars so you can play your recorded music into your car stereo system. The bottom line is that you can be tracked wherever you go and have your phone buttonholed to receive offers to buy stuff. As long as you have that phone on you, you're under attack by merchandisers and advertisers.

Collapse -
I even have an app for that
by Diana Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a try

It will figure out where I am and what stores are nearby and what sales or coupons they have available. It really goes crazy when I get home because I live behind a large shopping center. I sometimes check out the sales and buy something but not often.

To me it's like commercials on TV. I DVR most everything I watch and fast forward through the commercials. Sometimes I see one that looks interesting and back up and watch it.

Diana

Collapse -
I keep my GPS on because my son's phone was
by Diana Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 1:34 AM PDT

stolen at gunpoint and he had his GPS shut off. He couldn't track his phone then.

Diana

Collapse -
One reason, I stay away from smart phones
by Willy / August 19, 2014 1:28 AM PDT

Once, i realized GPS was actively being used to target the owner, when they weren't using it. Further, that tries-in with E or similar. You can targeted and/or become the walking billboard of sorts. In other words big business and little too want it all. I can understand that the reasoning, but they come in w/o any warning, do what they want only because the technology allows them to and further its a can of worms that never goes away. I remember in earlier days when you went to the can, there wasn't any "wall bills" there other than wash your hands, etc.. Now, they plaster them for upcoming events or public services. The same applies to smart phones and its in your pocket, why can't i option out or flat out cut it out on my own??? I'm stciking with my cell phone as long as possible, and live with "you still got that" comment. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I got the dumbest phone available, and only because it was
by Rob_Boyter / August 19, 2014 2:46 PM PDT

much cheaper than the wired phone it replaced. The only problem is that I have to wait for it to ring in order to find it sometimes. There should be a smll coded device for one's key chain in order to find the damn thing.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.