Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Breeding Stupidity

by Evie / July 14, 2005 12:02 AM PDT

{The title of this editorial and it is well worth reading IMO}

Breeding Stupidity
Where does the insistence that the war in Iraq is creating terrorists come from?

THERE IS A STRANGE PAIRING of positions on the left.

The first is that Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda were not connected. The work of Stephen F. Hayes and Thomas Joscelyn in THE WEEKLY STANDARD, which is supported by other serious investigative reporters such as Claudia Rosett has already established beyond any reasonable doubt that there was a web of connections, but the combination of the left's indifference to inconvenient facts and the international version of the soft bigotry of low expectations--an Arab dictator couldn't have had a sophisticated intelligence service capable of hiding such matters--make it an article of faith among Bush haters that there was no connection.

Exactly the opposite approach to facts and evidence is emerging on the left's claim that Iraq is a breeding ground for terrorists. "Breeding ground" means something quite different from "killing ground." The term conveys the belief that had the United States and its allies not invaded Iraq, there would be fewer jihadists in the world today--that the transition of Iraq from brutal dictatorship to struggling democracy has somehow unleashed a terrorist-breeding virus....

...In an interview with the London Times, Prime Minister Tony Blair disputed the idea "that the London terrorist attacks were a direct result of British involvement in the Iraq war. He said Russia had suffered terrorism with the Beslan school massacre, despite its opposition to the war, and that terrorists were planning further attacks on Spain even after the pro-war government was voted out. "September 11 happened before Iraq, before Afghanistan, before any of these issues and that was the worst terrorist atrocity of all," he said....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Breeding Stupidity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Breeding Stupidity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We can't run and hide. It won't work.
by Kiddpeat / July 14, 2005 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Breeding Stupidity

We had better accept the fact that we must fight.

Collapse -
I would dispute Blair on Beslan
by EdH / July 14, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

That was clearly connected to the long-standing conflict over Chechnya. It's a shame that the Chechen problem has become intertwined with AlQuaeda because the Chechens used to have a lot of sympathy from the West.

Collapse -
Whether by choice ...
by Evie / July 14, 2005 12:35 AM PDT

... or by "hijacking of a cause", the Chechen conflict has become inextricably linked with Al Quaeda and other Islamist terrorist interests.

Chechnya-based Terrorists
Russia, separatists

The Chechens perhaps took a page out of the Kosovar handbook of the KLA -- the terrorist organization NATO etc. took sides with against the Serbs. By drifting more towards terror tactics the world tended to take their side against "brutal" efforts to suppress independence/freedom movements. After 9/11, as the true widespread nature of these terror groups has been revealed, many have become more skeptical of such movements.

It sure is a complex world to decide which populations deserve their own country/true autonomy, and which should remain part of countries that they were assigned to or taken over by years ago. A Kurds and Chechens comparison would demonstrate this difficulty.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
the history.....
by Angeline Booher / July 14, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

.... of the Middle East clearly indicates to me that the seeds of terrorism were planted long ago, particularly early in the 20th century and after WWI.

US military was targeted at restaurants they frequented in Germany in the 1980s. Embassies were attacked long before 9/11. The WTC car bombing was before 9/11. And who can forget the hijacking of TWA flight 847 in 1985. An American Navy man was executed.

The terrorists honed their skills in Israel as to how to defeat a well-equipped government military. They were not or are freedom fighters in any sense of the word as they attack civilians.

I heard an interview with an Iraqi man who had been a US prisoner for a while at Abu Ghraib prison. He said that any Iraqi would rather be an American prisoner than be one under Saddam.

IMO, the pre-9/11 attacks indicate that terrorists attacks would have continued, and probably increased, without the Iraq war. The radical extremists declared war on the US and the western world long ago.

No way of knowing, but I even wonder if there was no country of Israel if there would still be these attacks. I think the extremists would use any excuse to act.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Well said!
by Glenda / July 14, 2005 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: the history.....

And so true.

Collapse -
i think it depends how you define "terrorism"
by jonah jones / July 14, 2005 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: the history.....

Merriam Webster:
the systematic use of terror (and i personally would add the word "fear") especially as a means of coercion...

add to that definition the fact that 'most' terrorist acts (and i mean actions that have effected the western world in the last 20-30 years) are by muslims or groups affiliated with muslims, i would say it dates to the 7th-8th century at least...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?