General discussion

BREAKING NEWS: NYC transit workers to return to work

No links yet; they're going to return to work while the city and union resume negotiations.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: BREAKING NEWS: NYC transit workers to return to work
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: BREAKING NEWS: NYC transit workers to return to work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) maybe they could see the strike was losing the PR war
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It seems the MTA scaled back their takebacks.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and was afraid of the wrath of millions of commuters
- Collapse -
There wouldn't be too much wrath

Millions of people depend on that transit system. It's a necessity, not one of many choices. They may rail on about not using it anymore but when it comes down to it, they have to. Ridership may drop some for a short time but it won't last.

- Collapse -
On one of the TV channels............

.....last evening they reported that some large number of the strikers announced they were going to cross the picket lines if the strike wasn't called off.

- Collapse -
Hey, Mac - what's this ''transit'' stuff they're

arguing about on this thread? Is that like when we pull our kid brothers in their wagons down Main to the IGA? Happy

- Collapse -
Does the union still owe the $1,000,000/day fine?

Hope so!

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yeah, thats my question -- I hope so!
- Collapse -
Why? Do you hope so, I mean?

Have they offended you by trying to better themselves. Not unlike some high officials or heads of companys taking a big wage increase? That will do anything in business to get there no matter who they hurt?

- Collapse -
They broke the law ...

... and that offended EVERY NY'er that depends on the bus and subway system to get to work so they can better themselves! I hope the fines stick, including the 2-day's pay penalty for the striking workers. You don't reward illegal behavior by forgiving penalties!

- Collapse -
And how did they brake the law?

Is it breaking the law if I don't go into work tomorrow? Believe it or not(and I know you won't), the people who hate a strike the most is the unions. It is their only bargining chip, and they use it only as a last resort. Far be it for them to offend someone. I use to belong to a union(yes, hard to believe)for 23 years. Then I quit, I quit because the union I was in didn't have the balls to stand up for themselves, and would take any wage cut or benefits cut that would come along. One year they took a $10,000 a year cut in pay, all the while the company was making record profits and the company officials were taking dramatic wage increases. I know $10,000 a year don't sound like much to some people but when that is a third of your wages it's a lot.
So when people hate the unions for striking, it's because they automatically think it the unions fault.
A lot of people hate any unions in general without even knowing about the union, just because it is a union.
Some of those same people even reap the rewards that unions have fought for over the years without knowing that those reward have come from some of the unions in the 30's and 40's. 40 hour work week, time and a half after 40, bathroom and lunch breaks, safe work practices, etc. In the 30's some textile workers even gave up thier lives for us to have these rights(yes they were actually shot dead by company people standing on the roof, while they were picketing for a fair and safe workplace).
So when I see a union stand up for themselves because they see their wages or benefits striped away I say "good for them". If they have to pay a million dollars a day well that's just the price they have to pay. Unions and people from the unions of old have had to pay the price all along not only to benefit themselves but most other blue collar workers also. Most unions will not do it anymore which is exactly why I do not belong to one anymore.

- Collapse -
You obviously have no clue of the facts here

This strike was ILLEGAL.

- Collapse -
You have no clue....

what you are talking about when it comes to unions.

- Collapse -
She's right...

She's right, it was an illegal strike. BTW, I have had some dealings with unions.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you still have all your limbs?
- Collapse -
Lost me there...

You lost me with that one. FWIW, yes, but they don't all work.

- Collapse -
They didn't break your legs...

cut off any digits, etc. in your dealings with them?

- Collapse -
No, but...

No, but when I got the Union election called at CNN, "you know who" charged downstairs and threatened to kick my A** (grin). Reckon' I can't blame him, I was sneaky about it, by the time they knew we were signing cards, it was too late- we already had enough to force the election. Now that I'm in Atlanta again, maybe I should visit there - there's almost nothing left to break (grin)

- Collapse -
I belong to two unions ...

... so spare me.

THIS strike was ILLEGAL. QED.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry, it suppose to be break not brake.
- Collapse -
Are YOU a NYer or do you even live here?

I know a lot of people who sympathized with the proletarians of the MTA, so don't talk about EVERY NY'er unless you really mean EVERY!

- Collapse -
Proletarian schmoletarian

I'm not a NY'er as in living in NYC, but I grew up in the burbs and visit relatively often for business and pleasure.

You obviously don't have much sympathy for those that rent those 2Br apts in the Bronx or Brooklyn for about half your quoted rents and rely on the subway system to get to THEIR jobs. I would also take bets that the next time the MTA has to hike their fares you'll be one of the first to complain. But they will eventually have to.

The strike was illegal. When it became clear that it was called over pensions FOR EMPLOYEES NOT YET HIRED!!!!!, and reasonable terms at that, most working people sided against this ILLEGAL action.

- Collapse -
(FOR EMPLOYEES NOT YET HIRED)

That's what unions are suppose to fight for, not just for themselves but for they people that will come after them. That is the sign of a good union.
A bad union is one that will take what they can get today by screwing the brothers of tomorrow. Our union give away 1/4 of our future brothers wages and all of their retirement insurance to save their own *** today.

Reasonable to who, an 84 year old woman who grew up making 50 cents and hour.

You are the people who hate unions and have no idea what the meaning of a union is.

- Collapse -
The pension issue was over ...

... a 6% employee contribution to pensions FOR NEW EMPLOYEES vs. the current 2%. It wouldn't have changed the striking worker's ONE IOTA.

The union is SUPPOSED to represent it's current workers. It too often does not.

You'll probably be glad your union did that in the future. If they hadn't you probably wouldn't have a job to go to period.

Too bad Bloomberg/Pataki just didn't do what Del suggested. Fire the whole bunch.

I dislike unions. The one's I'm forced to belong to have done squat for me.

- Collapse -
It is illegal, and they will pay the $.
I dislike unions

No kidding.

If they hadn't you probably wouldn't have a job to go to period.

I will always have a job, are you saying I'm unable to find a job elsewhere?

You'll probably be glad your union did that in the future.

I will never be glad to leave a job worse off for the next guy, then it was for me. That's what being a true union man is all about.
- Collapse -
Give it up, Evie

the Red flag is flying. Wheww!

- Collapse -
You're probably right ;-)

But I forgot to mention that no self-respecting NY'er, especially the "proletariat" themselves, uses that word! LOL

Evie Happy0

- Collapse -
According to this morning's news....

....they will still have to pay the fines.

CNET Forums

Forum Info