TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

bravia hdtv to older av receiver and tivo

by acofch / January 1, 2010 9:13 AM PST

hi

Here's the set up that worked before I introduced a new Sony Bravia (XBR9 series to the mix). Now I cannot get a picture on the TV, though I can still get sound (which will be obvious once you see the set up).

Tivo + DVR --via red/white/yellow cables--> Denon AVR 1604 (an older, nondigital a/v receiver)
DVD --via red/white/yellow cables--> receiver

receiver --via yellow video cable --> TV.

To me, that seemed simple. I have tried both a regular yellow cable and a composite video cable (red, blue, green) into the Video 1 on the back of the Bravia. No picture, at all; not even with the DVD player.

The Bravia's external inputs seem correctly set up.

Any ideas? Is there a channel that I need to turn the tv to, kind of like with the old tv I'd set the switch on the back to channel 3 and then tune to 3 to make the thing act as a dummy monitor?

I'm on the verge of sending this fancy new tv back before I throw it through a window. So, any help appreciated!

acofch

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: bravia hdtv to older av receiver and tivo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: bravia hdtv to older av receiver and tivo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some questions and suggestions...
by Carve2 / January 1, 2010 10:23 AM PST

I'm assuming that all you've changed in your theatre is the screen.

Have you tried running a direct composite (Y/R/W) lead from one of your devices (DVD or Tivo) into the composite inputs on the Bravia? Does anything come up when you don't hook it through the receiver? Just trying to work out with this test whether the receiver's turning a simple output into something else, or if the receiver isn't giving out a signal on the composite leads any more.

Oh, and please try the different Y/R/W inputs too. Maybe one of them is faulty? I might be wrong, but I think you have to set which of the AV/Composite inputs you're using through the Sony menus. From memory, most of the XBR9 series have just two (one on the side, and one at the rear).

It would be interesting to see if a direct component (R/G/B) signal works, as this would give you a higher picture quality overall, and from the AVR-1604 manual I found online, it would allow you to switch between two RGB sources.

Try one of your devices straight into the screen via Y/R/W leads, and if that's not working, you'll need to get into the setup/settings menu on the Bravia and try to work out what's going wrong there.

Best of luck with it, and I think you'll love that screen once you get it working.

Collapse -
one hurdle over come
by acofch / January 1, 2010 7:45 PM PST

Carve2 - thanks!

Composite leads (r/g/b) from the dvd directly into the tv worked! So far, so good.

Next, I'll try good old fashioned Y/R/W. When I tried that from the Tivo, I was unsuccessful getting vision or sound. But your suggestion that I need to try meddling with the Bravia inputs again is probably right. The Bravia has two input docking places - the back (which has two sets of inputs - composite and audio) and the side (Y/R/W). B/c the only place to plug in Y/R/W is on the side, I think I just need to figure out how to tell the Bravia to look for the inputs from the side.

FWIW, I'll update once I'm successful, if only so people searching can find the outcome.

More later!

AC

Before your post, I hadn't considered whether something was up with the receiver.
I had previously tried the different Y/R/W inputs too

Collapse -
No special channel.
by minimalist / January 1, 2010 10:52 PM PST

Just make sure you switch to the input into which your receiver signal is being fed.\

Try plugging the 2 individual components directly into the TV separately. If they work then the problem is your receiver. If they do not then the problem is the TV.

By the way, do you have any HD feeds you are trying to watch? Because if you do no HD can be transferred through Composite connections (yellow video). You have to use either component (red blue green) or HDMI. It seems a waste of such a beautiful TV to not give at least one HD input.

Collapse -
done so far
by acofch / January 2, 2010 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: No special channel.

Yep, seems to be the a/v composite. I'd love to figure out what's up with that. At least we can now watch TV and watch DVDs!

Currently I am using the yellow feed directly from the tivo to the tv. Not a great picture from the Tivo, but it'll do. The tivo does not have a composite line out, though it does have a S-connection. I might try the S connection later. The DVD does have composite video, and that's a very nice picture indeed.

No HD inputs yet to the TV, but we have plans when budget allows...either HD DVD &/or HD Tivo/DVR.

Now I just need to work on reducing the delay b/w video and audio!...

Thanks again

ACofCH

Collapse -
Short clarification
by Carve2 / January 2, 2010 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: done so far

Glad to hear that you've got it working, just wanted to follow up on something that can be a bit confusing for my clients.

Ranking of video inputs:

Composite
- Yellow RCA
- often matched with Red/White RCA for stereo audio
- low quality analogue inputs only
- think VCR standard
- shouldn't be used for DVD or better unless there's no alternative

S-Video/SVHS
- 4pin connector
- again often matched with Red/White RCA audio
- slightly better analogue quality than Composite
- again only to be used if nothing else available

Component
- Red/Green/Blue RCA connections
- can be matched with Red/White stereo analogue audio
- or TOSLINK/optical or coaxial RCA for digital multi-channel sound
- much better image quality, but still analogue
- some installers still use this above HDMI because the image quality's relatively close, & there's far less hassles
- decent for DVD & HD free-to-air TV boxes

HDMI/DVI
- multi pin special connectors
- digital from start to finish, so no analogue conversions
- HDMI can also carry 7.1 channels of surround audio at the same time as video
- best way to get 1080p signal from source to TV
- best for Blu-ray
- can cause lip-synching issues & can be very expensive for longer runs

You're going to love it when you upgrade it all to HD quality, but your receiver won't be able to handle any HD video switching. It'll do the basic digital audio formats, but keep your eyes open for deals on newer receivers with HDMI, Dolby Digital True HD, DTS Master Audio and more. Not sure what price they're retailing for in the US, but here in Australia you can get one for about AU$450.

Best of luck with it all.

Collapse -
quick clarification to my post following your clarification!
by acofch / January 2, 2010 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Short clarification

thanks again

thanks to your clarification, I should rewrite something I said above: the Tivo of course has composite (r/w/y) but no component (r/b/g + audio). I had originally said it has no composite (which makes no sense!) Darn right the component gives a v nice picture from the DVD!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!