The selection of receivers with built-in tuners is pretty slim pickings right now. There's a wide variety of add-on tuners, but then you're looking at about $200 for the tuner box alone. The technology is just too new and hasn't spread wide enough and the car audio product cycle is just too slow. It's a shame, but it will improve with time.
To the best of my knowledge the only receivers with BUILT-IN HD-Radio tuners are the JVC units you mentioned, the Dual units, and--one you may have missed--the Jensen HD5212.
I'd say don't even consider the Dual, but consider the JVC or the Jensen. Both companies have solid product lines and pretty good reputations.
What is the general consensus on CD receivers with built in HD tuners? I?d like to buy one of these units soon, but I have a few requirements.
1. Easy, responsive controls - Example: I really hate to push Play, REW, FFW etc. and have to wait 5 seconds before it actually starts my requests.
2. Front panel AUX input - enough said there
3. Alternate display colors - I like my head units to match the rest of my displays. This is not a HUGE deal, but it is a concern. In this case green would be the color of choice.
4. A USB input would be nice - Again, not a huge deal, but it would be a nice bonus.
5. I only want to spend $200 or less - It might sound odd to some of you, but yes, that?s all I want or need to spend. No unnecessary bells and whistles for me, thank you.
Now according to my somewhat limited research so far on these units it seems as there are not too many brands out there with built in HD tuners to choose from. JVC and DUAL are the only two I?ve found that are in my stated price range and meet most or all of the above requirements.
So first we have the JVC Arsenal KD-AHD39 (about $170.00 or less). Meets all of my requirements except for the USB port. I?m not sure about the display colors. Most reviews are good, but some scare me quite a bit. They say this one has a CD mechanism clicking issue, but firmware on the JVC site fixes it.
The only other I?d consider at the present time is the Dual XHD6425 (about $129.00 or less). It meets all the requirements, but I?m unsure about this brand in general. It seems kind of ?Wal-Mart? to me. The unit as a whole is sort of plain to look at to me. Not as ?sexy? as others. I?d take performance over looks though.
The reviews are good, but a lot of people state that the tuner is pretty bad. They say HD stations cut in and out etc. That?s big in my book - when you buy an HD radio it is for just that ? an HD radio turner that is supposed to work!
So, I?m hoping you guys know of some alternative that are the best of both worlds and do not have these issues or other ones. Considering my list of requirements, what HD Radio out there would you guys go with?
Thanks so much for you time and responses.