PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Brand of power supply

by mopscare42 / February 29, 2008 11:06 PM PST

My grandson installed a new graghics card in his computer and his LCD monitor wouldn't work right.
After doing the calculations and going to the Antec website to verify the numbers it turns out he needs to upgrade his power supply.
There are so many brands out there, which is the best brand? He wants to stay in the $100 or below range.
We are going to put in either a 500 or 550 watt unit (he has a 300watt now) and am looking at the Antec or Thermaltake brand.
Is there any difference dependability wise of these two brands or are there better ones.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand of power supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand of power supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nod to Antec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2008 11:19 PM PST
In reply to: Brand of power supply

Why? The Thermaltake's could be fine but I find SLEEVE BEARING FANS in much of their gear with the better ball bearing fans in the Antec's.

Why bother? The sleeve bearing fans tend to last about 2 years here.

Bob

Collapse -
Brandnames
by Willy / March 1, 2008 1:03 AM PST

The two you mentioned are decent brands. Some users *may* complain of noise levels but even with good brands, there are so many models it does get confusing. I suggest besides using a wattage calculator buy the biggest hunking psu and brandname and provide for a stable system. The better the psu the more the cost, but cost does pay back in a stable system. Take into acct. if it fails it may take other devices/components with it. As for noise, look for the dB levels as part of the specs.,, however as stated so many psus out there check at these websites and others: http://www.geeks.com http://www.newegg.com httpp://www.cyberguys.com for cost comparisons.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks Bob and Willy
by mopscare42 / March 1, 2008 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Brandnames

I had a little more time to research power supplies and have decieded to get the Antec NEOHE 550 watt power supply. It does go over his $100 buget, but I will make up the difference as this looks like a very good supply from the reviews.
They have it at Circuit City here in town, so we don't have to worry about the shipping.
Thanks again.
Wayne

Collapse -
avoid the low-end thermaltakes
by ramarc / March 1, 2008 5:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Ramarc
by mopscare42 / March 1, 2008 8:13 AM PST

Thanks for those links.
I just picked up the Antec neo-he 550 and we are going to put it in the computer tomorrow AM.
That should take care of the problem.
Thanks again.
Wayne

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.