Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

BRAND NEWBIE

by gsuze19 / February 6, 2011 2:26 PM PST

I have recently decided to take my Macbook / Leopard out of the box after receiving it more than a year ago It's set to log on automatically when I open it / turn it on. I do not remember the password and can't change the setting without it.Now what ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BRAND NEWBIE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BRAND NEWBIE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reset the password
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: BRAND NEWBIE

using the OS X restore disks that came with the Macbook.

Insert the DVD, shut down the computer, start it up and immediately hold down the "C" key.
Hold it down until you see the spinning gear.

Now that you have booted from the DVD, you will start the install process. Just move far enough along until you can see the Menu bar at the top of the screen.
Choose the Utilities option and Password reset. Follow the instructions from there.

Alternatively, as you say you have never used this machine before, you could just run the Restore disks and bring the machine back to its factory state.
Obviously someone has already done some work on this machine as the behavior you describe is not that of a brand new machine

P

Collapse -
password setting
by gsuze19 / February 8, 2011 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: Reset the password

Thank you. After I restore to factory state what not to do to repeat what I'd done before. I am able to open the Mac and it automatically logs me on which is why I wanted to change the password.

Collapse -
After the Restore,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 8, 2011 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: password setting

you will be guided through setting up the accounts and other things.

One question will be for the account name and the next will be for a password. This will be your account password and should be reasonably complex. Upper & lower case and a number or two.

Initially, if there is only one account, the machine will log you on automatically. This behavior can be changed in the Accounts preference pane.

But, if you do not want to go through the complete Restore process, you can reset the password by following the instructions given in my post above "Reset the password"

P

Collapse -
Brand New Newbie Patience
by JessGless / February 18, 2011 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: BRAND NEWBIE

HELLO:

I had to laugh about your "patience" in opening ANY package. You must have the patience of Job!

Saying that you should have no problem conquering other problems on your MAC - if you have them.

Just log into these forums, state your problem, not forgetting to state your systems basic info, and sit back and "wait" for a reply.

I've used the OLD MacFixIt Forums for a long time and have saved untold hours and dollars with help from the people who have answers to my questions.

It is nice to be able to STILL welcome newbies to this world - even if some of us have to use Windoz(hack, cough) for a living!

Welcome to the world of MACs!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!