Computer Help forum

General discussion

Brand New PC Brand New Problems

My PC is just over 3 months old. When I start it up, everything loads ok except for the start toolbar. Only Symantec Antivirus and my Networking icons show up when the sound tools and Symantec Firewall are set to start also, and they appear to be running in the Task Manager but their icons don't show. The start bar also is "unusable" and "locked" for the first 3-5 minutes after startup.

Can someone please help. I am running an Intel based system with Windows XP Pro SP2. The PC has been running hot lately...?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Brand New PC Brand New Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Brand New PC Brand New Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
swag

In reply to: Brand New PC Brand New Problems

Just a guess here but sounds to me as though you have spyware problem. Have you run Adware or Spybot?? If not I suggest downloading one or both of them and running them. This will help with the startup issues.:)

Collapse -
yea i have

In reply to: swag

thats what bugs me is that i really dont think its spyware or adware because i installed all kinds of prog's to make sure it wasnt

Pest Patrol
MS Antispyware (Beta)
Ad-Aware
Spybot

Collapse -
Heat or malware? check it

In reply to: Brand New PC Brand New Problems

Open case and check all fans. Plus, verify that they work and/or clean any dust out. You did mention hot, so don't take anything for granted, as a true heat problem may reside there and can only get worse. Check cabling to be fully seated as well as the cpu HSF setup. Check your atsk Manager for the processes being loaded/started in help check what is new maybe. Of course, update the NAV and run it, plus any spam scanners like Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware to look into that side. MS own scanner, AV product should help as well just for another pgm. to help, freebie at thier d/l website.

enjoy Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
Low on fans

In reply to: Heat or malware? check it

as u saw in my other reply, its 99% not spyware but i have one cpu fan/heatsink and one case fan in the side but im gonna get two more, the system runs at 44-45 degrees celcius at peak performance when its suposed to be under 30
all the fans do work
P.S. What is HSF? NAV? and AV product? do u know anywhere that i can get a list of prog's that are ok to turn off?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!